1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No rumors anymore
http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/bikes/ducati-1299-panigale-s-r/
looks more or less like the 1199

As was rumored, Ducati’s flagship machine, the Panigale superbike, gets an update for the 2015 model year. Now called the Ducati 1299 Panigale, the number designation means different things for the base, S, and R models.
All three models will sport a class-leading 205 peak horsepower, have the Bosch MSC “cornering ABS” package installed, and have the new Ducati Quick Shift (DQS) system, with its up and down clutchless shifting.
All three models also have a revised chassis geometry, with the steering head angle set at 24° now, while the fork pivot is 4 mm lower — all in the name of more precise steering (a critique of the 1199 model).
For the Ducati 1299 Panigale and Ducati 1299 Panigale S trim models, the high-revving Superquadro motor gets a displacement increase to 1,285cc, via a larger bore size (116mm). The Ducati 1299 Panigale R will remain at the original 1,198cc displacement, in order to comply with World Superbike regulations.
The Panigale R will also not get the electronic suspension that is found on the Panigale S, thus keeping its weight 406 lbs wet (the other models tip the scales at 420 lbs wet); however, it will get Ducati’s data acquisition system, with GPS (DDA).
More importantly, the Ducati 1299 Panigale R will get the tungsten-balanced crankshaft and two-ring pistons found on the Ducati 1199 Superleggera, a critical element since those items are not available for change in the WSBK regulations.
The 1299 R also sports mechanical Öhlins suspension, a lithium-ion battery, and comes with an Akropovič full-titanium competition exhaust.
Lastly, it should be noted that the Ducati 1299 Panigale S has been fitted with Öhlins Smart EC semi-active electronic suspension, bringing it inline with rival offerings from other superbike competitors, like the 2015 BMW S1000RR.

·
Administrator
51,144 Posts
Ain't it she lovely

·
Super Moderator
12,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/newsresults/New-bikes/2014/October/MILAN-SHOW-205bhp-Ducati-1299-Panigale-unveiled/?id=145354

All of the 1299 models get a redesigned tailpiece and an all-new exhaust system that’s lighter than the outgoing model’s. At the heart of the standard and S models is the new 1285cc version of the Superquadro V-twin that was first seen in the 1199 Panigale launched in 2011. Power is now a claimed 205bhp and the torque a monstrous 106.6lbft at 8750rpm – all wrapped up in a package that weights a mere 166.5kg.

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
haha, well im a fan of all bikes :p clutchless up and down shifts would be interesting. wonder when we'll see the 1399? ;)
I draw the line at quickshifters, still ambivalent about TC.
Seriously? Clutchless downshifts? Why don't we just add autoblippers, electronic suspension, powershifters (up/down), and then call ourselves expert riders.

Next thing you know, will be voice control:

Me: "take the following corner at 100Km/h"
Bike: "request denied, bike would slide"
Me: "Damn, take it at 90KM/H then"
Bike: "request granted"

I'm an awesome rider dudes:banger:

·
BOTM Winner 07/16
880 Posts
I draw the line at quickshifters, still ambivalent about TC.
Seriously? Clutchless downshifts? Why don't we just add autoblippers, electronic suspension, powershifters (up/down), and then call ourselves expert riders.

Next thing you know, will be voice control:

Me: "take the following corner at 100Km/h"
Bike: "request denied, bike would slide"
Me: "Damn, take it at 90KM/H then"
Bike: "request granted"

I'm an awesome rider dudes:banger:
Except for the powershifter, that's basically what MotoGP bike is. BMW is doing the same thing, and R1 is close enough (I think it's missing the clutchless downshift)

No matter what electronics are in place, it will still require the rider to be able to take the bike into a corner.

I'm on the fence on the electronics subject, on 1 hand it's almost impossible to ride a 200BHP+ bikes without them safely. On the other hand, it makes maintenance a nightmare :p

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
4,769 Posts
I simply don't understand the horse power wars. Its clear that the market is dictating it all, but do riders really need that?

I'd love to see a 150whp sub 400lb bike for a reasonable price. It would be a fantastic thing to ride, but nobody will build it because the squids just want to have big pecker contests. Its a shame

·
BOTM Winner 07/16
880 Posts
I simply don't understand the horse power wars. Its clear that the market is dictating it all, but do riders really need that?

I'd love to see a 150whp sub 400lb bike for a reasonable price. It would be a fantastic thing to ride, but nobody will build it because the squids just want to have big pecker contests. Its a shame
It's easier to sell things based on spec sheet. The rich (sometimes with no skill) will care about how long the spec sheet is and how many acronyms they can pull out of it compare to driving/ riding experience.

e.g. it's probably a lot more fun driving a BAC Mono, but a La Ferrari sells easier.
One will get used to its full potential, the others will sit in the garage and get driven to a night club somewhere.

Back to the Panigale, I'd say the upgrades are good especially the Bosch Stability system. It will hopefully lessen the number of written off bike and more cheap used bikes in the future for me.

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
Except for the powershifter, that's basically what MotoGP bike is. BMW is doing the same thing, and R1 is close enough (I think it's missing the clutchless downshift)

No matter what electronics are in place, it will still require the rider to be able to take the bike into a corner.

I'm on the fence on the electronics subject, on 1 hand it's almost impossible to ride a 200BHP+ bikes without them safely. On the other hand, it makes maintenance a nightmare :p
Don't get me started on maintenance. I understand that it still requires skill to ride the bike, but compared to the two stroke 500s, how many riders from Marquez's generation can come to grips with those things do you think without all the aids? Change is part of life and all I know, I could agree with TC to an extent but will never be sold on clutchless downshifts ever.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I, for one, welcome the aids as long as you can shut them off or the manufacturer still offers a similar platform without them. For all the retards out there that crash and raise the insurance premiums for the rest of us, I think the aids will drive that cost down. Somewhat.

Personally though, I enjoy squid and rice watching while I'm out and about. They're an entertaining bunch and would be a tad sad to see Darwin curbed by electronic aids.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts