Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know why Honda only has one color scheme on its website for the new 2016 600rr? Is black/white the only color you can get?

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Because very few people actually buy new 600cc bikes. I'd be surprised if the segment doesn't last much longer, there's no way companies are really making money off of them.

Surprised we've had them current for this long!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Because very few people actually buy new 600cc bikes. I'd be surprised if the segment doesn't last much longer, there's no way companies are really making money off of them.

Surprised we've had them current for this long!

Well maybe if new bikes weren't so damn expensive...

·
Registered
479 Posts
This is what happens when they run out of ink. You'll notice the 2015 cbr600rr was pure black. The 2016 cbr600rr is half black.

·
Registered
181 Posts
This is what happens when they run out of ink. You'll notice the 2015 cbr600rr was pure black. The 2016 cbr600rr is half black.
HAHAHA Thats true. But yea, they probobly are cutting costs. I bought a new one and got a new red 2013 for thousands less than a 2016 at the dealer. Sooooo, if they still have 2013s laying around, sales are probably not doing as well as they want.... Still awesome bikes though.

·
Registered
146 Posts
The CBR600RR is being discontinued due to falling sales. For example in the UK last year Yamaha only 100 R6's.

Also in Europe new Euro 4 emissions regulations come into effect (next year I think), which means manufacturers need to make big changes to their bikes to comply.

If they aren't selling many of a particular model then why spend shedloads on making a model comply when they won't get their money back.

·
Super Moderator
1,943 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
There are still left over 2014's and 15's in 600cc & 750cc GSX-R's and CBR600RR's at dealerships right now. I was told by my local dealership that the only 600 with decent sales over the past few years in my area at least is the R6. I got my new 2014 CBR in January 2016 for $8500 plus fees. I paid more in 2005 for a brand new R6 by about $300.

I do feel like there will be a resurgence of sport bikes at some point though. Maybe if they spent more money on advertising and televised more races people would get more interested. The economy doesn't help either.

·
Registered
181 Posts
There are still left over 2014's and 15's in 600cc & 750cc GSX-R's and CBR600RR's at dealerships right now. I was told by my local dealership that the only 600 with decent sales over the past few years in my area at least is the R6. I got my new 2014 CBR in January 2016 for $8500 plus fees. I paid more in 2005 for a brand new R6 by about $300.

I do feel like there will be a resurgence of sport bikes at some point though. Maybe if they spent more money on advertising and televised more races people would get more interested. The economy doesn't help either.
Naked is the new thing>:) Not complaining, they are sexy as hell. But few younger groups are buying sports than they used to.

·
BOTM Winner Jan 2015
1,960 Posts
The 600RR isn't going anywhere. Honda has been working on the new Fireblade and probably a new 600RR for the following year or two after. 600s are extremely popular track bikes. It's an old and very basic bike when compared to the rest of the competition, so expect a revamped 600RR that will meet new regulations and actually be a "current" bike as far as tech goes.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
146 Posts
The increase of sales of naked bikes and adventure bikes as older riders move over isn't helping. Then there is a drop in younger riders getting into bikes.

Top line litre sports bikes are doing OK. I have a theory that before the advent of traction control and all the other electronic safety nets riders bought 600's because a 1,000 was too much for them. Now they can have a 1,000 because it holds their hand. So they don't bother with a 600. Just my theory based on my own thoughts, so feel free to shoot me down.

·
Registered
181 Posts
The increase of sales of naked bikes and adventure bikes as older riders move over isn't helping. Then there is a drop in younger riders getting into bikes.

Top line litre sports bikes are doing OK. I have a theory that before the advent of traction control and all the other electronic safety nets riders bought 600's because a 1,000 was too much for them. Now they can have a 1,000 because it holds their hand. So they don't bother with a 600. Just my theory based on my own thoughts, so feel free to shoot me down.
I would agree.... Kids need to start riding....

·
Registered
479 Posts

I would disagree with your theory of electronic rider aids and less younger riders getting into bikes lol. I don't think any young rider looks that much into electronic rider aids on specific bikes. I never did and I am 21. My friend who is also 21 years of age and buying his first bike soon, is also not looking at electronic rider aids.

In regards to younger riders getting into bikes, I think there is more. Social media, especially in the realm of motovlogging, has increased the influx of younger riders tremendously.

The reason why I believe dealerships are experiencing a decrease in sales among 600s and in even every model of motorcycle is due to the economy and political norm which we are being taught from the first day of school. No longer is a Bachelor's degree (BA/BS) worth anything. We are being taught to get married later, to do the fun things in life after we are established, and etc. Due to these reasons, young potential riders either do not get bikes at all or if they decide to, they look toward the used market.

Out of 5 of my closest friends, 4 of them drive cars that were bought for under $5k. Keep in mind, I live in a neighborhood that is probably part of the top 25% wealthiest in NJ. Yet spending $10k+ for a bike at the dealership would be just crazy for any of my friends. Maybe I just hang around poor people lol. Who knows lol. My friend who is buying a bike soon has a budget of $4k.

Out of the 10 people I know who ride, only 2 of them are below the age of 25. Most are around 30 years old. At that point, you will either have kids or will start to have kids and then you'll buy something "more safe".

So the market now for dealerships in my view, or from my experience, is toward potential riders who are established yet don't have kids lol. Ages 25-35. That's a small window/market.

Just looked up how wealthy my county is and according to wikipedia, my county is ranked the 3rd wealthiest county in the N.J. out of 21. So there you go.

·
Registered
146 Posts
The drop in younger riders getting into bikes has been widely reported in the UK motorcycle press, so I'm just repeating what I've read. Maybe the situation is different over the pond? As I mentioned, the older riders are moving away from uncomfortable sports bikes and moving to nakeds and adventure bikes. That is a fact over here.

My theory about rider aids wasn't connected with younger riders. In fact quite the opposite, as a top line 1,000cc sports bike costs a significant amount of money, it's mostly mature riders who buy them. Mature and sensible(ish!), hence why I suggest my theory that these sensible riders used to buy 600's because they felt a 1,000 was too much to handle. But now the electronics have tamed them, they are more confident to ride them.

Whatever the reason, sales of 600 sports bikes have been in rapid decline and the discontinuation of the CBR600RR has been reported in more than one UK bike publication. As I mentioned, it's a fact that only 100 R6's were sold in the UK last year. Also Yamaha haven't changed the latest R6 bike since it was introduced. And that's about 5 or 6 years I think. That's a long time in the bike production world.

Certainly the economy will have an effect on bike sales I agree. But litre bike sales are doing pretty well.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Its funny because when I started looking into 600rr's I couldnt find black/white in my price range.
All the color'ed bikes were priced cheaper than their black/white counterparts

1 - 20 of 44 Posts