Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

121 - 140 of 207 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #121
SP2

If you’re wondering whether Honda is serious about going racing again (contrary to belief, the Ten Kate World Superbike team Nicky Hayden rides for is not a factory effort), the SP2 should put those worries to rest. A homologated version of the SP – U.S. reps predict a limited production run of 500 units globally to be built over the next two years – the CBR1000RR SP2 receives 1mm larger intake valves, 1.5mm larger exhaust valves, and a change in included valve angle to 10º on the intake side and 12º on the exhaust, versus 11º on both sides for the standard SP model. Forged aluminum Marchesini wheels are also part of the deal.
Honda reps were tight-lipped about what’s to come but stated the revisions to the cylinder head to receive the bigger valves and the updated included valve angles were part of a bigger plan to incorporate a suite of HRC parts.

Now the bad news: the SP2 will be difficult to get to begin with, and Honda reps stated the HRC parts won’t be something the average racer can simply purchase from their dealer. The parts will be reserved for professional racing teams, with Honda/HRC determining who will get access to them. Simply put, if your name isn’t Nicky Hayden, you’re probably out of luck.
As for the good news: the CBR1000RR SP2 is estimated to cost less than $25,000.

·
Super Moderator
12,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
Standard Model
For those wanting a standard version of the CBR1000RR, Honda will make an announcement come November regarding its availability. Those with keen eyes will have noticed from the spy shots linked to at the beginning of the article that the model seen in those photos is void of the Ohlins suspenders and Brembo brakes of the SP model. If history is any indicator, Showa will provide suspension on the base model, with Nissin brakes. American Honda reps didn’t provide any information on the standard model, including pricing information, but expect it to be priced competitively with its rivals.
Honda says we’ll get to ride the new CBR1000RR SP around March 2017. Stay tuned for our riding impressions then.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I like Honda's direction, unlike other manufacturers chasing horsepower, Honda is always about handling, rider friendliness. A confident rider equals better lap times.

·
Registered
966 Posts
30lbs less is good, 10hp increase is bad. They now have Ducati weight but still way down on power. I was hoping they would give me enough to not buy an RSV4 but I don't think this will do.

·
Super Moderator
12,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #127
IMO first impressions are great!! this will be the best Blade ever hands down, will be the lightest weight of the current 1000's , full elec, color TFT dash like the R1, quickshifter/auto blip down, about 190hp, so yes for those that crave or need/want the 200 mark, it'll be easy to reach it most likely with full ex and ecu flash. SP2 from what I've read only 500 will be made and only in Europe? :( to me looks like Honda has hit a home run..

·
Super Moderator
12,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #128
Buddy of mine works at a dealer, this is CND spec press release : inserts from that release

MARKHAM, ON (October 4th, 2016) – The Honda CBR1000RR SP goes to the next stage of Total Control. Power to weight ratio is improved by 14% - reaching the best level ever for the CBR - thanks to a 15kg weight reduction and 8kW power boost. It’s also equipped with semi-active Öhlins Electronic Control suspension, plus Honda Selectable Torque Control, Selectable Engine Brake, new ABS, Quickshifter, Downshift Assist, Riding Mode Select System and Power Selector. RC213V-S MotoGP derived technology elevates the riding experience even further

Bottom end torque and power are improved, with a significant increase in top-end power – up 8kW to 141kW @13,000rpm and 3 modes of engine output character can be chosen from. A Quickshifter is fitted as standard, as is Downshift Assist (with autoblipper) and new assist slipper clutch.

3.1 Chassis/Electronics
• Inertial Measurement Unit (IMU)
• Öhlins Electronic Control (S-EC) suspension
• Honda Selectable Torque Control (HSTC)
• New ABS
• Riding Mode Select System (RMSS)
The SP is the first Honda motorcycle to be equipped with Öhlins S-EC suspension front and rear: a 43mm NIX30 fork and TTX36 shock.

3.2 Chassis
• 195kg wet weight
• Adjusted rigidity balance for the frame
• Stiffer swingarm
• Lighter subframe
• Titanium fuel tank
• Brembo four-piston radial mount monobloc brake calipers
• Redesigned wheels
• Minimal and aggressively styled bodywork

3.3 Engine/Electronics
• Throttle By Wire (TBW)
• Acceleration Position Sensor (APS)
• Power Selector
• Inertial Measurement Unit (IMU)
• 9 level Honda Selectable Torque Control (HSTC)
• Wheelie Control
• Selectable Engine Brake (SEB)
• Quickshifter
• Downshift Assist
• Riding Mode Select System (RMSS)
The 17YM CBR1000RR SP is the first inline four-cylinder engine from Honda to use Throttle by Wire (TBW) control. Derived and developed from the system used by the RC213V-S, its job is to put precise throttle control – and a very natural feel – in the rider’s right hand.

3.4 Engine
• 8kW power increase
• Revised valve lift and cam timing
• Magnesium covers and detail redesign saves 2kg
• 4-2-1 exhaust with titanium muffler
• Redesigned downshift assist
• New assist slipper clutch

·
Super Moderator
12,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #130
OMFG what is that! That an SP2?

From what I've read Nicky will be able to design his own color scheme. So yeah SP2 artist conception in full race trim ;)

·
Registered
422 Posts
My god I'm in love with that SP1. Hope they have it in that same or even a better color scheme in the US. I love the 14 SP tricolor but I think this is my new fave. Not that I could realistically afford one :(. Now a 14 SP is something I could afford though :)

·
Registered
966 Posts
IMO first impressions are great!! this will be the best Blade ever hands down, will be the lightest weight of the current 1000's , full elec, color TFT dash like the R1, quickshifter/auto blip down, about 190hp
How does 10hp extra on a 170hp motor make 190hp? Yes a full exhaust and tune will get you more, but they do that with all the other bikes too. The total number [say 200hp] means nothing as long as its about the same as everyone else.

·
BOTM Winner Jan 2015
1,960 Posts
Great bike, but seems like a they want a high premium for it, and understandably so. This has me even more excited for the R6 announcement though. Speculation is that MSRP is 16K for the yet to be announced "base model".

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
940 Posts
I like it. I like the fact that they didn't go all out and max out the engine so you get more failures but didn't skimp on the electronics. I am very curious to see the price point. Like you shinfo, I'm interested in the redesigned R6. It is such a joy on the track so any improvements they make would be particularly interesting.

I need to win the lottery MEOW!

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
What whats the actual hp?

121 - 140 of 207 Posts