Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats up all...just wondering for those of you that are avid dirt riders. I am going to buy a dirt bike soon. Preferably a honda. I haven't ridden dirt in about 5 years. I am wanting to get back into it now and was wondering what your guys/girls opinions are.

I'm 5'10 165lbs and in pretty good athletic shape. I've been riding dirt/street for about 10 years but as i said before no dirt in the last 5. I'll be doing little track riding and mostly trail riding with a few dune trips mixed in there. I have about 4k to play with. Thanks for all the advice in advance!

Steve

·
fast03600rr
9,995 Posts
i would just go with a 250. i know alot of fast guys that ride 250's and can kick my ass when i'm on my 450..

·
Registered
205 Posts
I am about your same build and in your same situation of not riding dirt in a few years. I just bought a cr 250 (2-stroke) monday and love it:icon_lol:. I have rode a kx250f and a crf450x and owned a yz426. My opinion would be to get the 450. The 250f I rode seemed to be down on power for my liking and the 450 had so much all around power it was a blast to ride. I also hear of more 250's needing to be rebuilt more often because they rev higher. I also saw this first hand as the guy with the 250 blew it up after 1.5 yrs and the 450x has been going strong for almost 4yrs now.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the advice! I'm not worried about people beating me. I'm not going to be at the track very often I live in one of the most trail infested towns in california so I'll be out exploring! And I keep hearing different schools of thought for trails. But thanks for the advice I'll definatey keep it in mind!

·
Registered
939 Posts
I ride a CRF250X and regualry ride out with others who ride CRF250F/450F/450X. WR250/450 KTM EXE XR's etc.....
A 250X is ideal for me becuase it has the slightly longer gear ratios, lights, and electric start. I need to ride on the road to get between trials and making the bike road legal is easier when you start with an X.
I have ridden all the other bikes and for the riding we do they are all great. I have fitted an full akrapovic exhaust, done the closed circuit mods (pink wire), air box and had the carb re-jetted and I dont fell the need for a 450; I can easily keep up. The 450's are a bit heavier and alot less forgiving and very hardcore in the way they lay the power down. Another plus for the 250X is the resale value, I brought mine nearly new 2 years ago and have only lost about 15% of its value.

I f'cking love my 250X and would n'tswap it for a 450R or X (unless it was the new fuel injected version....) I'm waiting for the new fuel injected CRF250X, probably gonna be a long

wait........................................................................................

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I ride a CRF250X and regualry ride out with others who ride CRF250F/450F/450X. WR250/450 KTM EXE XR's etc.....
A 250X is ideal for me becuase it has the slightly longer gear ratios, lights, and electric start. I need to ride on the road to get between trials and making the bike road legal is easier when you start with an X.
I have ridden all the other bikes and for the riding we do they are all great. I have fitted an full akrapovic exhaust, done the closed circuit mods (pink wire), air box and had the carb re-jetted and I dont fell the need for a 450; I can easily keep up. The 450's are a bit heavier and alot less forgiving and very hardcore in the way they lay the power down. Another plus for the 250X is the resale value, I brought mine nearly new 2 years ago and have only lost about 15% of its value.

I f'cking love my 250X and would n'tswap it for a 450R or X (unless it was the new fuel injected version....) I'm waiting for the new fuel injected CRF250X, probably gonna be a long

wait........................................................................................

Thanks for the advice! Thats pretty much how i feel! How does the 250X do on the track or dunes? (Not sure if you have dunes out there or not) cause I'll be hitting those once in a while...

·
Registered
939 Posts
Bascially the X is a modified CRF250R so the basics are a least on par with anything else. I think I read somewhere the CRF250 is the most popular MX bike ever made. You will enjoy sharp handling, great suspension and Honda realiability; mine has been completely trouble free. On the track, compared to the R version you will notice a slight lack of power but this can be overcome with slight mods. Check out the ww. rickramsey (.net) for some fine advice on modding CRFX's. Dunes? Unfortunately I dont have any close by to really say but I we do have plenty of fast deep sandy trials and the bike feels great. If you aint sure which to go find someone who will let you try one out. If you dont know anyone, pretend to go and buy a used one and take it out of a little rip to make sure everything is 'OK'. Good luck whichever way you go. If you go for a 250X I'm confident you will be thrilled......

·
Registered
9,216 Posts
get the 250F, you will ride faster on it for longer before getting wore out.
modern 450s are brutally powerful and overkill for most people.
look at the pro MX races, the 250f times are right there w/ the 450s.

the 450 would be a good choice if you are looking to do supermoto on it as well.
oh and buy the KTM ;)

·
Registered
939 Posts
good advise MX, 450's can be hard work. If I were to change from the CRF250X I would be seriously tempted with one of these 2 strokes. A friend brought a new one for christmas; they have electric start and sound awesome. The fuel range is only about 50 miles though. Shame is on the Monday after its first outing some arsehole stole it out of his garage. He is going to replace it and get a bigger tank; and carry some oil with him. The fact it needs pre-mix cost him an extra £15 to the £7 fuel. Mine cost just £3.30 to brim....

Gone are the days when KTM's were shunned...they're a top choice for those in the know. My nephew Jack rides a KTM 50 and almost all school boys ride KTM. Most enduro expects do too.

·
Registered
9,216 Posts
ya KTM has really stepped up their game (starting in 2005)
i highly doubt ill buy a jap dirtbike ever again.

my KTM has been super reliable, and ill be getting a Husqvarna 450 SMR over the winter as a dedicated sumo race bike w/ the occasional street romp.
cant wait to have 2 sexy euro bikes parked in my garage.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
the 450 will have a lot of torque down low and across the board. The 250 will be lighter but you will have to rev it harder and higher. I vote the 450.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
wow lots of good info! Does the KTM cost more to maintain? That was a rumor I had heard. I have a friend selling an 07 KTM 450 (dont know the model) for $3800. But I am a honda man and will mostly likely stick with it. I see everyones points on both sides and its a rough decision...I'll have to continue researching!

·
Registered
9,216 Posts
they dont cost more to maintain really.
there arent as many dealers handy tho, but i have 2 w/ in an hour drive from me.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
they dont cost more to maintain really.
there arent as many dealers handy tho, but i have 2 w/ in an hour drive from me.

Thats pretty sweet! I have asked around and since been told that all the KTM dealerships in my area have closed...

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Like I told MXRIDER theres an 06 KTM 250SXF for decent deal close to me but I'm just waiting for a little bit more cash before I jump on it!

·
Hitz eit from z back
5,357 Posts
Just have patience man. With the way the economy is going people are partially dumping their property for dirt cheep sometimes Just to pay off some bills which they owe to much on. You live in cal city, Its basically almost to hot to ride out their during this time of year to begin with. For me anyways lol but this is considered like the off season for socal because of the heat. Just have patience man. I came up on someone who needed the money for a deductible and had to sell the bike too get that money. Anyways It lead me to picking up the ktm at a price I would of been stupid to pass up...

·
Overpaid South Pacific Barista overactive ADHD c
27,367 Posts
whats up all...just wondering for those of you that are avid dirt riders. I am going to buy a dirt bike soon. Preferably a honda. I haven't ridden dirt in about 5 years. I am wanting to get back into it now and was wondering what your guys/girls opinions are.

I'm 5'10 165lbs and in pretty good athletic shape. I've been riding dirt/street for about 10 years but as i said before no dirt in the last 5. I'll be doing little track riding and mostly trail riding with a few dune trips mixed in there. I have about 4k to play with. Thanks for all the advice in advance!

Steve
250 as bro

road one for the first time the other week

killer good fun and easy as fark to ride

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So after a long search and deliberation I finally got a dirtbike. I was searching craiglist, cycletrader, and everywhere I could think of for CRF250R/X, KTM 250SXF. Well the search is over!

I found an 05 CRF250R for 1900 bucks and its in awesome condition! I have been out riding once since i bought it on monday and I had a blast. The only thing I might regret is not getting the CRF250X due to the electric start. But i might check into having one modded for my bike. Anyhow thanks to all of you guys who gave me your input! And if anyone is in socal and wants to hit the dirt just let me know!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts