Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Banned
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes (more often than not) when I try to shift into 2nd gear, it doesnt go in, and I hear the horrible sound of rapid clunking/grinding, and my shifter bounces off my foot. This usually happens at high RPMs. Are we looking at having to crack the engine case and replace the gear?

·
Registered
8,768 Posts
Sometimes (more often than not) when I try to shift into 2nd gear, it doesnt go in, and I hear the horrible sound of rapid clunking/grinding, and my shifter bounces off my foot. This usually happens at high RPMs. Are we looking at having to crack the engine case and replace the gear?
or get a stronger leg to make sure it gets into gear, sounds like a normal mis shift to me.

D

·
0 Posts
www.msf-usa.org. They'll help you learn how to properly shift into gears on a motorcycle, on a bike that isn't yours and with no worry of FUBARing your transmission or bending the **** outa your shifter forks.

But, that's common when you don't shift into gear properly. Incorrect engine revs for the gear you're trying to get into. All a part of learning how to ride a bike. Your owners manual has a nice sheet where the recommend when to shift into the next gear, so this type of thing doesn't happen. You'll find it on page 55 and 56.

·
Banned
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
or get a stronger leg to make sure it gets into gear, sounds like a normal mis shift to me.
I hope your right, but I'm not so sure. Only time this happens shifting up to 2nd gear at high rpms, I'd say 9-10k+.

When it does happen, I roll off the throttle because the rpm's are bouncing at 15k, and I shift again disengaging the clutch, and when it does go in, its hard "clunk"...

I'm not sure if it happens if I upshift without disengaging the clutch. I might go try that in a bit.

·
Banned
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
www.msf-usa.org. They'll help you learn how to properly shift into gears on a motorcycle, on a bike that isn't yours and with no worry of FUBARing your transmission or bending the **** outa your shifter forks.

But, that's common when you don't shift into gear properly. Incorrect engine revs for the gear you're trying to get into. All a part of learning how to ride a bike. Your owners manual has a nice sheet where the recommend when to shift into the next gear, so this type of thing doesn't happen. You'll find it on page 55 and 56.
Thanks **** head. I've taken the msf basic, and advanced, now unless you have something to contribute, stop flaming *******!

·
Registered
8,768 Posts
Thanks **** head. I've taken the msf basic, and advanced, now unless you have something to contribute, stop flaming *******!
just to point something out

he basically said what i did, he actually gave you more usefull information than i did ...

this makes me laugh...

D

·
0 Posts
Oh, I'm so sorry to have attempted to help you.

The post below is a clear indication of why you need to take, or retake both the BRC and ERC courses, as you clearly do not know how to ride a motorcycle, let alone shift.

Please accept my sincerest apologies for attempting to let you know that what you are experiencing is normal when you do not shift into gear properly, and I apologize for telling you where you can find out when you should be shifting into the next gear, per the people who designed the transmission you are set out to destroy with your riding skills, or lack there of.
I hope your right, but I'm not so sure. Only time this happens shifting up to 2nd gear at high rpms, I'd say 9-10k+.

When it does happen, I roll off the throttle because the rpm's are bouncing at 15k, and I shift again disengaging the clutch, and when it does go in, its hard "clunk"...

I'm not sure if it happens if I upshift without disengaging the clutch. I might go try that in a bit.

·
Registered
8,768 Posts

The post below is a clear indication of why you need to take, or retake both the BRC and ERC courses, as you clearly do not know how to ride a motorcycle, let alone shift.

Please accept my sincerest apologies for attempting to let you know that what you are experiencing is normal when you do not shift into gear properly, and I apologize for telling you where you can find out when you should be shifting into the next gear, per the people who designed the transmission you are set out to destroy with your riding skills, or lack there of.
is it bad that i cant stop laughing at this?

·
Banned
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Its ok a%ssH*le, tenjin was much more diplomatic about it, and much less condescending. I do not discount rider error, but I'm looking for responses like tenjin provided, and anyone else who has something to say without being a fvk!ng pr!ck fvk like you.

Now GET THE FVK OUT OF THIS THREAD YOU FVKER!

D

·
0 Posts
Its ok a%ssH*le, tenjin was much more diplomatic about it, and much less condescending. I do not discount rider error, but I'm looking for responses like tenjin provided, and anyone else who has something to say without being a fvk!ng pr!ck fvk like you.

Now GET THE FVK OUT OF THIS THREAD YOU FVKER!
As I said, I apologize for attempting to help you. How was I to know that you just hate anything I post, regardless if it's me trying to help you with a problem or not.

You don't have to get your panties in a bunch and start flaming over pointless ****. Suck it up, be a man, and take my advice with a grain of salt (or an entire carton of Morton).

Again, I apologize. In no way was I attempting to be condescending to you, as I decided I'd brave the storm and remove you from my ignore list to not only find out what your problem was, but to also help you.
But if you wish to be a condescending prick about everything, This message is hidden because 2010Octane is on your ignore list.

·
Registered
8,768 Posts
As I said, I apologize for attempting to help you. How was I to know that you just hate anything I post, regardless if it's me trying to help you with a problem or not.

You don't have to get your panties in a bunch and start flaming over pointless ****. Suck it up, be a man, and take my advice with a grain of salt (or an entire carton of Morton).

Again, I apologize. In no way was I attempting to be condescending to you, as I decided I'd brave the storm and remove you from my ignore list to not only find out what your problem was, but to also help you.
But if you wish to be a condescending prick about everything, This message is hidden because 2010Octane is on your ignore list.

STOP RIGHT THERE!

who the fvck is this? demented is never nice, hes a total prick, you friggen impostor.

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
STOP RIGHT THERE!

who the fvck is this? demented is never nice, hes a total prick, you friggen impostor.
^^^:crackup::crackup::crackup:

Just sounds like you need to shift with a little more gusto mate, either that or you may have an issue with your shift forks (its better if its the first one)

·
Registered
135 Posts
proper chain tension will help with the way your bike shifts.
Do what you will with that; I'm thinking it's a part of the problem.

·
Registered
55 Posts
i've never miss shifted on my 04' 600rr, the gearbox just takes what i give it, on the other hand my old 250rr used to do this frequently. you'd have to be quite direct and firm with the lever otherwise it'd spit it back out first to second. Was rather frustrating.

So yeah, I'd say something is not right with your box.

·
Banned
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
^^^:crackup::crackup::crackup:

Just sounds like you need to shift with a little more gusto mate, either that or you may have an issue with your shift forks (its better if its the first one)
Yeah, I'm thinking its just me. Only happened once today out of maybe a dozen times. I dont think I'm putting enough force on the shifter (seems to take more to get to 2nd than any other gear .. yeah yeah, gotta pass neutral i know, but still).

Let me ask this though. Why after it happens, does it "CLUNK!" into 2nd when I shift again? I'm very aware of my actions after a "misshift", and I'm definately applying more than enough pressure, and clutch is fully disengaged, and rpm's are rev matched.... If I blip my throttle it seems to help shift smoother...

·
Registered
8,768 Posts
Yeah, I'm thinking its just me. Only happened once today out of maybe a dozen times. I dont think I'm putting enough force on the shifter (seems to take more to get to 2nd than any other gear .. yeah yeah, gotta pass neutral i know, but still).

Let me ask this though. Why after it happens, does it "CLUNK!" into 2nd when I shift again? I'm very aware of my actions after a "misshift", and I'm definately applying more than enough pressure, and clutch is fully disengaged, and rpm's are rev matched.... If I blip my throttle it seems to help shift smoother...
the clunk, as far as i know, is because things are out of alignment as they were aligned to go into second, and it didnt make it and then **** got pissed / out of alignment.

D

·
0 Posts
If the RPM's are rev matched, you wouldn't be having that problem. You said yourself, you're going from bouncing off the rev limiter, to slowing 6,000-5,000RPM before shifting. Your rear wheel will be wanting to spin the transmission faster than what the engine wants to do. That in no way is rev matched.

You're basically trying to shift into a gear that wants to spin the output shaft faster, as your letting the output shaft slow down. That's where the grinding and clunking is coming from.

·
Banned
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If the RPM's are rev matched, you wouldn't be having that problem. You said yourself, you're going from bouncing off the rev limiter, to slowing 6,000-5,000RPM before shifting. Your rear wheel will be wanting to spin the transmission faster than what the engine wants to do. That in no way is rev matched.

You're basically trying to shift into a gear that wants to spin the output shaft faster, as your letting the output shaft slow down. That's where the grinding and clunking is coming from.
Very well might be the case, but I'm not instantly trying to shift again... What I basically said was a mis-shift would occur around 9k+. I would pinch a loaf while my rpm's are bouncing at 15k. I'd clutch in, let my rpms drop back down, and coast. During this time I'm losing speed. I then ramp up my rpm's to what I feel they should be for the speed I'm going.

What kind of deviation from a perfect rev match would cause this to happen?

·
Registered
8,768 Posts
Very well might be the case, but I'm not instantly trying to shift again... What I basically said was a mis-shift would occur around 9k+. I would pinch a loaf while my rpm's are bouncing at 15k. I'd clutch in, let my rpms drop back down, and coast. During this time I'm losing speed. I then ramp up my rpm's to what I feel they should be for the speed I'm going.

What kind of deviation from a perfect rev match would cause this to happen?

if you were at 9k, reved to 15k, slowed revs back down and say were @ 6k, your way off, 8kish id bet is where you would want to be for example.

pure guess here.

·
Banned
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
the clunk, as far as i know, is because things are out of alignment as they were aligned to go into second, and it didnt make it and then **** got pissed / out of alignment.
I'm thinking your right, but why would blipping the throttle when shifting help?

Note: No i'm not dropping the clutch on my 2nd, and sometimes even 3rd attempt.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts