Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IM Looking to pick up a dirt bike, im 6ft. 150ish. I like the 125mx bikes but they want like 5grand for one. 1.How fast are 125mx bikes,are they good for a first time dirtrider? 2.Am I to big for an 85mx? 3.Should i just look into the 4stroke trail bikes?? Let me know what ya think.

·
Registered
205 Posts
First question you have to ask yourself is what kind of riding do you want to do. Trail, Track or both. In california if you buy a new two stroke mx or 4 stroke mx they give you a red sticker because it dosen't meet california air resouces board emission standards. You can ride the track all year and the trails most of the year only time you can't ride a red stickered bike on some trails is in the heat of summer. Most places could care less wether it is two or four it all depends on the registration. A good in between bike is honda's new crf 250 and 450 x models they are the offroad version of the mx bike. And in CA they are green stickered which means you can ride all year. If you were doing track days the suspension setup should be adjusted. Or if your heart is set on a 2stroke get an older used one that has less registration restrictions on it. There is nothing like the smell of premix and race gas in the morning.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
I've always heard that 2-strokes have a lot more maintence problems as well. Like I said, "heard" so that could be wrong. I'm looking to pick up my first dirt bike as well sometime within the next year....was thinking about a CRF250R but haven't done too much research into it yet.

·
Registered
13,229 Posts
on a 2 stroke, your rebuilding the top end at least once a year. on a 4-stroke you can get up to 5 years on it without needing any major maint. this all is subjective depending on how you ride it though. i'm 6' tall at about 175 lbs. and i get along on a 125 2-stroke just fine, hell i get around on my 50cc 4-stroke just fine too. all depends on what kind of riding you plan on doing.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Ceph said:
on a 2 stroke, your rebuilding the top end at least once a year. on a 4-stroke you can get up to 5 years on it without needing any major maint. this all is subjective depending on how you ride it though. i'm 6' tall at about 175 lbs. and i get along on a 125 2-stroke just fine, hell i get around on my 50cc 4-stroke just fine too. all depends on what kind of riding you plan on doing.

Not true on the new four strokes. They recommend like every 16 hours of use if racing at least with the new honda motors. Also it takes alot more experience to do a top end on a 4 stroke those valve things and cam and stuff get in the way. You can dog a two stroke untill you have no compression left. I have had my 99 yz 250 for like three years no top end rebuild yet and still has tons of power. I am a big guy 6'1 250lbs.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
all my buddies have 50s and they beat the hell out of them. Not one of them has had a problem for the last year or more. They run them in the mud, snow, rain. they jump them. One of the most reliable machines I have ever seen

·
Registered
205 Posts
Ceph said:
really? guess my fiddy is bout ready for a rebuild then. i got alot more than 16 hours on it. hell i can prolly get 8 hours out of a tank of gas on that thing. but i'm not racing it either.

That fifty motor is still old school tech. It should last like and old xr600r its just those new unicam motors that honda put out ie 250F -450F that need the maintenance. To be realistic You could probably go a year or two without a rebuild depending on how you ride.

·
Registered
223 Posts
i've been busting up my fifty for about 3 years, really hard abuse all the time and it's still going strong. Two strokes require more maintanence to keep up however it's cheaper to do a rebuild, if you add it up it comes out to be about the same to keep both up if you go at suggested intervals. That being said my buddys crf450 is going on 2 years know with out being touched and it runs great. With the four strokes you can get away with doing less work will the two strokes will always need to be kept up. I'd suggest riding both before you make a decision, they're two completely different beasts. A 250 two stroke is just as fast as a 450 four stroke however the powerbands are completely different, on a four stroke you can ride the whole track in one gear if you want, lots of torque. Two strokes have to be up higher in the powerband to make power. Like i said try riding both before you make a decision.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
hehe, 2 strokes louder, hahaha, I think this man needs to hear my 4-stroke CRF450R with the white bros pipe on it. I go 4 stroke all the way, more efficient power, easier to maintain, torque all over the place

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
I love 2 strokes and that the only way I'd go,but if you're kinda new to the whole offroad thing,I feel a need to suggest a 4 stroke bike.They're easier to gas up,versus the mixing of gas/oil for the 2 strokes,they're kinda quiet compared to a 2 stroke,some say they're more reliable but I don't fully agree,they don't pollute the environment as much...Also,I've heard alot of people say the new 4 strokes have come along way and easily out power the 2 strokers..But maybe that's just cuz they're running 450's against the 250cc 2 strokes..

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
i rode the CRF450r and it was awsome. If i had the money and was looking for a bike that bike would have my vote. Very strong motor. Actually i hear its stronger then the 450r motor in the trx and the one in the trx was de-tuned a lil but no proof on that.

·
Registered
920 Posts
trx has a differnt cam grind cuz 4wheeler guys cant handle the power..jm..Maintence on a crf250r or a crf450r will be just as stingent as the 2 stroke, plus aftermarket parts cost more, but well worth the money i think, some manufactures are discontinuing the 125's cuz they are so gansta anymore compared the the 4strokes...the crf250x i think it is will run just like your fiddy, long time no maintence, but dont expect to wax it off your freestyle ramp and jump over your house with it

1 - 18 of 18 Posts