Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is a bit of a long shot question but, does anyone have experience with removing that 3M clear bra tape stuff from a bike or a cage?

I just removed some by peeling it off on a hot day and it left a bunch of sticky crap all over the place. In hindsight I probably should have used a heat gun but I didn't so I gotta figure something out. I tried 'Goo Gone' but it didn't work too great. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
You're supposed to use some heat and slowly peel it up. To remove the residue, just use some 3M adhesive remover. It will also strip the wax off the paint so you'll have to re-wax when you're done.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You're supposed to use some heat and slowly peel it up. To remove the residue, just use some 3M adhesive remover. It will also strip the wax off the paint so you'll have to re-wax when you're done.
cool, I shall investigate this adhesive remover you speak of.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
yse paint thiner then wax it youll be food i do this a lot...i work with auto detailing
gud luck

john
I wouldn't use straight paint thinner. Use the 3M adhesive remover as it's designed to not damage your paint. You could also try acetone, i.e. nail polish remover as it will dissolve the adhesive without damaging the paint.

·
Registered
696 Posts
yse paint thiner then wax it youll be food i do this a lot...i work with auto detailing
gud luck

john

I have to disagree, never use paint thinner to remove anything off of a painted part. In my experiance the best way to remove the glue residue is a wax and grease remover. Its a product I use to clean all surfaces that are ready for paint and will not harm your paint.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Detailing as many years as I have, lacquer thinner works the best for sticker/adhesive remover. It doesn't remove your clear but you do need to wax after using.

Well I still disagree with you, as I have 12 years experiance in paint and body work and know for a fact that paint thinner has a good chance of melting the clear coat on any paint job, not to mention it can completly destroy plastic panels.
If there is alot of glue residue I would never use a paint thinner to try and clean it off due to the harsh chemicals in the thinner. When using a paint thinner to actually thin pain its main job is to thin out the paint and also to adhere and melt into the base coat or sealer,which ever one you are spraying on top off, and to be able to do that there are harsh chemicals in paint thinners and reducers. Thats why a prep solvent or wax and grease remover would be a better use because it does not have the harse chemicals like thinners. JMO

·
Registered
1,063 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
I've always used cyanoacrylate (super glue) activator. It's a spray which sets off superglue instantly, you can get it from model shops (anywhere you'd find radio controlled model cars, planes etc). It softens the glue quickly and allows you to wipe it off. Been using it on paint for years with no bad effects so far. You don't need much of it.
http://www.zapglue.com/Accelerator.html

1 - 13 of 13 Posts