Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have riden dirt bikes for 17 years and want to get into street riding. I am taking a MSP class next week. I like the RR and want to know if buying this bike would be a good or bad decision. I want to make my first bike the right choice.
Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Bad decision, but get what you want. This is an over argued topic, but with 17 years dirt riding experience and MSF course, you'll be better equipped to handle any motorcycle, however; dirt and street are like apples and oranges.

·
Registered
704 Posts
fretless33 said:
Bad decision, but get what you want. This is an over argued topic, but with 17 years dirt riding experience and MSP course, you'll be better equipped to handle any motorcycle, however; dirt and street are like apples and oranges.
Fret, what are you talking about. Here, we encourage you to GET the RR!!! :shock: :Superman:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Would an older F3 or F4 be better? Is technique and/or skill what I would be lacking? I do value everyone's opinion or I wouldn't have asked. I have read some of the debates, just wanted to correspond with others directly. Safety is my main concern.
Thanks

·
Registered
192 Posts
What fret said is right. The f3 or f4 would be a better decision. Mainly for cost and repairs for when you drop it, but it sounds like you are on the right track. Either way you will love the bikes as they are all very capable machines.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
WherzRoony, How was the learning curve for you? I'm in CA, so time on the bike practicing won't be an issue.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I would not suggest a new bike for any new rider, but if thats what you want then be carefull and learn to trust the machine. Take some classes MSF is good but its just basics. Look into CSS classes. I heard they have great class from beginner to high level riders. Ride and Smile

·
Registered
8,498 Posts
the BLACK 600rr is my first bike as well....
as long as you respect the bike and don't act like a dumbass on it...you'll be fine!!
the RR is an awesome, awesome, machine....
get one, you won't regret it!!!

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
eazy e said:
the BLACK 600rr is my first bike as well....
as long as you respect the bike and don't act like a dumbass on it...you'll be fine!!
the RR is an awesome, awesome, machine....
get one, you won't regret it!!!
my black RR is my first ever bike also... i have over 6k miles now since a bought it almost 7 months ago... i have no regret in buying it... i actually enjoy it...
but the emphasis is on respect for the bike... you have to know ur limits and u have to ride within ur skillz... i've seen a couple of new riders who act like they're the "sh*t" and crashing their bikes because they have no respect at all... but again, i have 3 other friends who bought the RR as their first bikes and they also love 'em...
buy what you like and what ever makes you happy - coz if u dont ... u'll just kick urself... with this said, u have to know ur limits while riding this awesome bike!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What is the best way to improve your skills, besides the classes and practice. On the dirt you push the limits of your ability to improve or get over a hump, is it the same here?
I am assuming the problem with doing 100mph on the second day is braking? And emergency manuevers? :?:

·
Registered
465 Posts
My two cents..............

The 600rr is no more dangerous then any other bike in the 600cc range. The bike is rather docile at lower rpm’s and can be ridden in a very civilized manner but…….if you jump on the throttle……you will go zero to dead in 3.2 seconds…..just like any other 100+ HP Sportbike.

The real question is….how mature are you and able to ride within your “true” limits. The rush of acceleration on this bike is addicting, and that is where the problem will surface.

Every time you ride on the street you have to remain 100% focused, and if you do so with respect to your capabilities, then for sure get the rr.

Definitely plan to spend $1000 on riding apparel, and read the “Sport Riding Techniques” by Nick Ienatsch and “Twist of the Wrist II” by Keith Code.

When riding a dirt bike you are taught to turn by throwing the bike down “under you” and roosting off of that berm. On a Sportbike you have to do the opposite and this takes some practice to develop the skill. Did I say read those two books?

As for dropping the bike….I don’t know when this became an accepted “given”. I’ve never dropped any of the 27 that I have owned……but that’s just me. :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
btw.... WHEN you get ur 600RR :bounce: ... let me know so we can all ride... i live in paradise hills... we just cruise around or whatever

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
CBR619RR, I would like to ride with others no matter what bike I end up with! Learning from experienced riders is how I have improved in the past. That's another reason I am using this board. I understand learning can be done by listening as well. Thanks for the invite.

·
Registered
391 Posts
CaliCBR said:
CBR619RR, I would like to ride with others no matter what bike I end up with! Learning from experienced riders is how I have improved in the past. That's another reason I am using this board. I understand learning can be done by listening as well. Thanks for the invite.
Be careful about riding with others right away. Its hard to set limits when you're trying to keep up with people who know what they are doing. Thats how I had my first accident. It was a very good learning experience. If you are going to ride with others make sure they know you're a noobie. Anyone worth riding with will respect that and remember they were a noob once too and ease you into things by setting a nice pace and making sure you are comfortable with it.

As far as whether or not the RR is a good first bike, no it isn't. All of the people who say "The RR is my first bike and I haven't had any problems. I 'd definately recommend it" are fools or a#@holes. One, they are the same people who have only been riding for like 6 months and generally know less than sh#t about motorcycles. They have no idea what makes a good first bike becasue they have no basis for comparison. They also haven't dropped their bikes yet so they think it was a great choice. Trust they will. Everybody does. Maybe not while riding, but just backing out of a garage or doing a u-turn in the driveway or some stupid sh#t like that. It happens to everyone. And when it does, it will be a hell of alot more expensive and discouraging to repair a brand new RR than a 7 year old F3. But I'm not saying the F3 is a good starter either. Go and get yourself a nice used EX500. Find out if you like riding and learn how to do it. I mean how to really do it.

I'm not going to put it all down here again, but there is a thread about the 600RR vs. 1000RR that explains how you will learn faster and better technique on something like the EX than someone riding for the first time on a RR. Its only a year and will prove to be the most valuable year of your motorcycling life.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I am *SO* on corner worker's and fretless33's side on this one. (Do a search of my posts and see my response under the "Sup" thread.) But, I suppose our opinion is in the minority.

I'm not saying all newbies will drop their bike within the first year, and I'm not saying that even experienced riders like myself (been riding 8 years and I'm STILL learning!) don't crash (lowsided just 2 weeks ago :( ), but you WILL learn faster and better on something other than a modern 600cc inline-4 supersport.

(In addition CW's recommendation of the EX500, I'd also recommend the SV650. Both have more manageable powerbands, and both are very fun. I sold my SV to get the RR, but there are still a LOT of things I miss about the SV, and I often wish I still had it. Unless you plan on spending the a LOT of time in the triple digits, the powerbands of either of these bikes are fine for street riding. Furthermore, there are riders I know that will absolutely OWN me on the track with them on their SVs and me on my RR.)

But if you absolutely MUST get one for your first bike, I do suggest a used one, if only for the fact that in all likelihood you WILL drop it at some point soon, and you'll feel a lot worse with rashed up plastics on a new RR than an used one.

1 - 20 of 124 Posts