Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike is reaching 600 miles and I am just thinking if I should just do the 600 mile service myself. From what I have been reading it's just basically an oil change, nut and bolt check, brake pad inspection, and cable check. Am I right? Or do you think that it is a really important thing that the dealer should do? Let me know because I just don't want to go and throw money down the drain if I don't have to.
Thanks,
Matt

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
i think it was only like $150 when i had mine done...sure you could do all that you listed on your own...but it would most likely take you a lot longer to do it than it would for a dealer to do it...for me it gave me peace of mind to take it to the dealer

·
Registered
238 Posts
I serviced my bike for the first 600 mile service (well, in my case, nearly 2,000 miles haha)... I was pretty frustrated because it was the first time I ever did anything with my bike - I had to take off a lot of stuff (or so I thought) just to drain the oil, but it really wasn't all that bad... I wouldn't mind servicing my bike again, but I can see why people would just pay to get it done - you are pretty much paying them for the time they saved you

It almost takes two people to change the oil anyways, unless you have a stand maybe or something... you are always having to start it up and you have to set the bike up to make sure the oil is at the right level... etc... I would probably just pay to get it serviced to be honest haha

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
the 600 mile service is more than just chaing oil and filter. furthermore, doing it yourself may negatively affect the manufacturer warranty. after the initial service, you can start doing the maintenance yourself. i paid $80 to get mine done.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I did mine myself. Try to get a tech manual, you can most likely get it at your local library. My advice is dont try to do it quick. Its a good opportunity to get to know your bike. Take your time, cause putting it back together the first time is a b!tch and inevitably you'll find something on the floor that needs to go inside the fairings and have to take them all apart again.

·
Monkey works will work for you :)
1,679 Posts
highside101 said:
It will not affect your warranty, if a dealer tells you this they are lieing to you. All you need to do is document the work you do, there is even a spot in the owners manual to do this.
+1

Save yourself some money and take the opportunity to learn the bike. You never know, you might just have fun doing it, I know I like to work on my bike. Not as much as I like to ride it though!

·
Registered
28,565 Posts
viper982 said:
My bike is reaching 600 miles and I am just thinking if I should just do the 600 mile service myself. From what I have been reading it's just basically an oil change, nut and bolt check, brake pad inspection, and cable check. Am I right? Or do you think that it is a really important thing that the dealer should do? Let me know because I just don't want to go and throw money down the drain if I don't have to.
Thanks,
Matt
you sure are correct....chain check/measurement, chain lube, idle check, fluid check etc. the common sense stuff imo.
you could do it yourself....its all in your preference and if youre mechanically inclined to do so.
but instead i took mine in for peace of mind. and at the time i didnt know if it was going to affect my warranty for the 1st service. still dont know if it does....but i now do all my own servicing.
and i paid about 80-90 bucks for the 600 mi break-in service when i took her in.

:edit:
i stand corrected.....as per highside101.
it wont affect your warranty.
damn i type slow.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts