Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

My new 2013 cbr600rr I bought this month now has 700+ miles. Should I pay $300+ and get it serviced or do my own oil change? What other "services" are done in the first service for a new bike? Can I do them on my own?( i have no mechanical background other than working ninja 300 last year and I also do not have alot of tools just the basics)
Is it worth paying $300+ vs. me doing the oil and oil filter change?

Any help and input is appreciated.

·
Registered
881 Posts
I did my 600 miles on my 2014 my self. But I have lots of experience turning wrenches. So yes you can do it your self. I just took all the fairings off, looked over the bike and checked everything.

·
Super Moderator
1,943 Posts
I always service my vehicles myself, unless I don't have the tools to do it. For example I haven't done the VCI yet, as I don't have any feeler gauges or shims yet.

Depends if you want to DIY, grab a service manual and see for yourself. :)

·
Registered
181 Posts
I just had my first service done. Same as you. New 2013 with 700 miles. Only charged me $212 .. I'm very mechanically inclined but I like them doing the first service. Then if I have a warrantee issue they had a chance to look at it. After the first service I always do my own and save receipts.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I had the dealer do my first service at 1000 kms. It ran me about $250. On a bike as fast as this I'd rather have the people who work on them everyday look it over rather than me. For the first service at least.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
What could they possible do other than change oil and check fluids/fill tires..

I think you can handle that....

·
Registered
803 Posts
Thankfully, I requested my 600 miles service to be thrown in with my purchase. I'm assuming the main aspect of the service is the oil and filter change. If so, I'd opt for that service by itself and shop a few reputable Honda shops for price. The lowest in my area was about $80 including all fees and taxes. I'm ignorant and not as mechanically inclined - so I tend to get help from a reasonable dealer and their qualified service department.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I have purchased 2 motorcycles from the same sales man and know a guy who works in the back. They do an oil change, check fluids, give the bike a quick look over, check/lube the chain, and they dont always do it but they took mine around the block because I had a squeak in the front suspension. Turned out the clutch cable was rubbing. All stuff the average person with minor mechanical knowledge can do. Like I said before, I just took it in because it makes me feel better getting its first service done by them. Now they cant throw it in my face should a warranty issue arise.

·
Registered
59 Posts
All they do is change your oil and then over tighten your oilf filter, drain plug, fairing bolt and any other bolts they touch.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just took my bike to a recommended bike repair shop and they said they do first service for $200 so i decide to get it done with them. The dealer i bought the bike from and the dealer close to me said $360. Thanks for all the answers.

·
Registered
10,419 Posts
$200 is not bad.

The first service is really pretty basic, just oil change and check the overall condition of the bike. Its something that you can do yourself, but if you're more comfortable with a mechanic or shop doing it, then its worth it. If you don't know much about working on bikes, I do recommend having a shop/dealer to it for you and get a written list of what was done exactly.

I think I paid $250 for mine, but that included installing a set of frame sliders since I had on 06RR which requires cutting of the side fairings (unlike the 07+).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts