Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been riding a 250rr for 5 years now and just got rid of it. Was looking forward to purchasing a new 07 600rr. However all my friends ride 1000’s and are strongly advising bypassing the 600 and going straight to a 1000. I use my bike as a daily commuter (well most days), but will do the occasional track day (maybe twice a year). The main factors I am looking at in choosing the 600 over the 1000 are running costs and usability. My friends are telling me that I will quickly grow tired of the 600 whereas on a 1000 you will always feel challenged and excited by the power.

-Anyhow I was hoping to seek some advice from long term 600 riders or riders who have gone back to 600’s after owning a 1000. Are my friends right? Or it more a personal preference? Or… what?

thanks

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
I've been riding 600's for 5 years and haven't grown one bit tired of them. Thousands are fun in a straight line. that's about it. 600 costs less and handles better. plenty of power there.

*edit*

for the record, I have not only ridden 600's. I've taken an 02 R1, 03 RC51, and an 06 GSXR1000 through the twisties for a day. I still prefer the 600.

·
Ducati Champion Del Mondo
7,847 Posts
Can I ask how old you are?

Jason

·
Post Whore Extraordinaire
19,904 Posts
Get a 600 dude, plenty enough juice, cost less, and cheaper to insure and mod.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I will never own anything but a 600 class bike, the liters don't do anything for me. I know absolutly no one who can ride one to even half of it's ability. 3 of the guys that I ride with just got liter bikes (04 10R, 06 R1, 06 R1). 2 of the 3 have totaled their bikes, within 3 months of having them. All that extra power got them. When we go ride the twisties they leave me on the straights, but I make it up in the corners.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Yeah, I would go with the 600. If you really do get bored with it, then you can switch. The power increase from 250 to 600 is plenty big enough. My .02

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
yeah i would go 600...2 of the 4 friends i usually ride with have 1000s....one can only go fast in straights and cant do anything when we are in twisties...the other, like mentioned above, leaves me in straights but i can make it up in corners...im sure there are some people who can push a liter bike very close to its limit though

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
I can sense the sarcasm in some of these guys’ responses. Roman, both the 600 and the 1000 are easy enough to ride. You have several years of experience on your 250. That should be plenty. If you're going to putt around it doesn’t make a difference. But who does that, right?
A lot of people on here have 600's (600rr.net...) and inevitably will knock 1000's, some valid points, some not. I think it's stupid. It's just that people on 600's sometimes get classified as pu$$ies for not riding a 1000 but that's far from the truth. (Most people that say this obviously haven't even ridden a 600.)
There are many advantages to riding a 600 vise-versa there are advantages to a 1000. You need to weigh what’s important to you.

Obviously, the 600 is cheaper as well as insuring it. If you are a younger rider say <25 or have a bad driving record. This will make up your mind right here. And like someone said above, they're also cheaper to repair and upgrade.
From a handling standpoint, they're both excellent. 600's are just so flickable. If you want to spend your days in the twisties, look no further than a 600. Just remember, the 1000 is heavier. It will take more force to make it do what you want it to. I have no problems tossing a 1000 around. Keep in mind I'm 6'1" and 200lbs. A lot of guys here are more in the 150 range. That’s got 600 written all over it. How much do you weigh roman?
So here's the big one, power. 1000's have more power than practically anyone needs or can use. That's just plain awesome. But keep in mind, you can overstep your boundaries damn quick. You bump the throttle at the wrong time and you'll find yourself waking up in the hospital wondering what happened.
600's have a LOT of power. More than you'd think. Enough power to get you to 150+ FAST! Enough to beat nearly every car on the road. If I’m not paying attention and I'm cranking through the gears on my 600RR, my front wheel will start rising off the ground on me. Just from the power. It's nothing to scoff at. It's enough power to get into a lot of trouble. :) Big thing these guys like to point out here though is that it's usable power. You can rev the hell out of it. You can push the bike closer to it's limits and use the powerband of the bike more often. Simply put, it's more fun.

One last thing, if you are considering tracktime. I can guarantee you that we would ALL recommend going with the 600 first. It's a whole new level of riding out on the track and a 600 is PLENTY of bike. You'll see.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
good post rocketscience, i of course agree that a 600 will be plenty of fun for a long time and is the all around better bike. hell, even my old 600 is still a blast in the twisties and enough power to have fun with...

i posted this article a while ago and think it says it pretty well....

http://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=45332

·
Registered
167 Posts
i would have to agree the 600 is more power then you need.....1 out 7 of the guys i ride with have 1000s and they always get me on the straight away but i catch them up on the turns and my other friend with the 600 can outride them everytime....they can only go so fast on the street....

·
Registered
5 Posts
This question was asked over at 1000.net as well, and pretty much the same answers resulted. Most (well, OK, a lot) of the 1000 owners also own 600's, so that's why the 600 option has been popular there as well.

On a good ride with others or on the track, the 600 shines, but when I'm out by myself and want to get squidly in the mountains, I'll take my 1000 and leave darkies through every turn just so I can find my way home :)

·
Registered
965 Posts
Roman Centurion said:
Ive been riding a 250rr for 5 years now and just got rid of it. Was looking forward to purchasing a new 07 600rr. However all my friends ride 1000’s and are strongly advising bypassing the 600 and going straight to a 1000. I use my bike as a daily commuter (well most days), but will do the occasional track day (maybe twice a year). The main factors I am looking at in choosing the 600 over the 1000 are running costs and usability. My friends are telling me that I will quickly grow tired of the 600 whereas on a 1000 you will always feel challenged and excited by the power.

-Anyhow I was hoping to seek some advice from long term 600 riders or riders who have gone back to 600’s after owning a 1000. Are my friends right? Or it more a personal preference? Or… what?

thanks
1000's are faster but the thrill of running to 15000rpms never gets old :)

Costs are far less on a 600, insurance will cost more and youll go through more tires on a 1000 and the wider tires cost more. I litre bike would be fun, but 600's are not boring..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thnks for the insite ppl. I am leaning toward the 600 mainly for the cost factor. Not only the initial but ongoing -insurance, tyres, etc. I am 27, 5'10'' and weigh 175lbs (all muscle), so either bike fits well. I asked the same question over at 1000rr.net to counterbalance any bias. I have not kept the 250 for so long out of choice -just couldnt afford to shell out for an upgrade. The 250 is a bore and with a pillion is useless. I do intend on doing the occasional daytrip with the missus on the back. 1litre winz there...

K

·
0 Posts
Roman Centurion said:
I do intend on doing the occasional daytrip with the missus on the back. 1litre winz there...
you'd be surprised at how versitile the 600 is...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
RelfF2 said:
good post rocketscience, i of course agree that a 600 will be plenty of fun for a long time and is the all around better bike. hell, even my old 600 is still a blast in the twisties and enough power to have fun with...

i posted this article a while ago and think it says it pretty well....

http://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=45332
thanks for this

·
Registered
352 Posts
If I can add my .02...

A little history: my first bike was a yzf600r. Rode THE PISS out of that bike for a year and a half, racking up 20k. commuting, trips to deals gap, twisty rides every weekend...you name it. Next bike was an 03 R1; I've owned that for almost a year now, and have put 13k on the bike...more deals gap, more twisty rides, etc.

Then back in April I purchased an 03 600RR since I decided it was time to get off the street and hit the track. I still own the R1 for the street, and the 600rr is my dedicated track bike.

Here's what I can tell you. It's fun having all that power on tap with the liter bike, but you will inevitably be faster in the corners on a 600. It's easier to throw around, and controlling the throttle in tight corners is simpler since you dont have to worry about breaking the rear loose in lower gears. If you plan on going to the track, the 600 is MUCH easier to throw around, especially if you're riding a tight, technical track. There's plenty of guys that head out to Jennings on liter bikes, and it may be a PITA to pass them on the straights, but it sure is fun shooting pass them in the corners.

I dunno just how fast your buddies are on their liter bikes, but when I had my yzf600r, I had no trouble keeping up with the guys riding liter bikes. Keep your revs up and get a good drive out of the corners...they really won't walk away from you on the straights unless they are running at ridiculously fast speeds. Lower your gearing on the 600 to get a little more pull off the line and you'll be even better off.

Learn to ride the 600 properly, gain some experience, head to the track, THEN after some time decide if you want a liter bike. IMHO, jumping to the liter bike now will only slow the development of your skills on the bike.

oh...as for the "rider weight" issue...I really dont think its a concern. Sure if your 200+ a liter bike will get you moving a bit easier, but if you're a lightweight, it has minimal bearing, if any, on your ability to ride the bike. I'm 135lbs and can throw around the R1 just fine...its all technique. Look at Danny Pedrose on the RC211V...the guy weighs 105#...I dont see him struggling, do you?

·
Registered
433 Posts
I've ridden a full on superbike 1K, stock 1K, 600's, V2 1k. 250 Ninja, 250GP, 125GP.......both street and track, raced 250GP, and 125GP with wera.

Race replica 1000's or 600's are equal crap commuter bike, 600 is good choice for track or mountains, you or anyone will never outgrow a 600....Once you think you have outgrown a 600, come race one (wera, ccs, whatever) and have your ass ripped a new one.

After a few years of trying bikes my favorite is TZ125, folllowed by TZ250, my next bike will be a motard........ I will buy a CBR400 or R4 if they ever make one. I no longer do street riding, so its a bit biased. Bigger is not necessarily faster on the track.

Here we go, Jennings track day.... first bike is a full built 03 R1, mine is 32hp TZ125, being filmed from an older 125...... http://www.ocdstudios.com/mark/jennings.wmv

1 - 20 of 41 Posts