Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike got stolen last night so im on the hunt for a new bike sadly :( i had a 600rr and loved it but i felt the power just wasnt what i wanted but that was with stock gearing. I can't decide if i want to get a 1000rr or a -1/+2 600rr. I do alot of canyon riding and going to start hitting the track. I was curious which bike is best for this kind of riding. Also what year do ya'll suggest? I hear the 07-08 are the best models.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Man that just pisses me off that ppl feel they can take what others have worked hard to get!!!! karma is a &itch and i hope they get it. I've only thought of going to a 1k because i commute a lot to work. but the 6 is enough for me for now. I assume you had insurance?

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea i have full coverage, The blue book is way more then what i owe on the bike so i should come out ok money wise. Yea iv really considered getting a 1k but for what i do enjoy doing...the 600 is not only cheaper all the way around but its better in the turns. I did find a 1k repsol i fell in love with though : / lol

·
Registered
381 Posts
Well sounds like you just answered it. ,600 is better for what you like. I think that is a wise choice.

Sent from my DROIDX using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yea im looking for an 08 600rr atm. I still want the undertail exhaust and i think they stop after 08? maybe 09 not sure on that.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Well sounds like you just answered it. ,600 is better for what you like. I think that is a wise choice.

Sent from my DROIDX using Motorcycle.com Free App
600rr has undertail every year it's been out so far 03-12. I hope they don't change it for the '13 models.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Sorry to hear about your bike man. I actually had a friend have his bike almost stolen the other day, they punched his ignition out and someone heard it so they got scared and ran off. I don't know if its my town or just everywhere but bikes here get stolen nearly everyday from friends of mine. In the last 3 months probably about 6 of my friends have had their bikes stolen. Which is why I'll always keep it garaged.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yea that's another reason i dont want a 1k, heard it has issues while the 600rr is rock solid which mine was :( I'll hear from the adjuster tomorrow. Hope full coverage is worth it. I'm going to be picky about my new bike so im expecting it to take all winter before buying another. Really want repsol!

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Agreed! If you want a 1k, wise well read up on CBR1000 oil smoking issues.
wasn't this problem mostly with the 08-09 1kRR??
didn't the newer 1k RR's fix this issue?

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
OP - Sounds like a 600 would fit your needs just well (especially if you're going to start riding the track, the 1000 may hinder some of your learning in that environment). Plus, there's the usual higher insurance costs of the 1000, etc, etc. Your decision though, g'luck.

Now, on to the oil burning issue for CBR 1000RRs (the following info is strictly a summary of what I have learned just prior to and during the ownership of my '11):

Yes, it (oil burning) appeared to generally be an issue with 08/09 models - although some folks have sworn off owning a 1000/Fireblade until Honda completely redesigns the 1000 engine. And then there's other 08/09 owners who have exhibited zero signs of oil consumption - go figure.

More than a handful of 08/09s were diagnosed as significant oil burners and received new rings at the dealership. There's a few long-running threads over on
CBR 1000/Fireblade specific message boards if you want to read about the issue until you are blue in the face. :)

The oil burning issue hasn't been as widely spread of an issue with the 10/11s, at least it hasn't been documented like it has on the 08/09s. Maybe it's due to lack of mileage by these owners? Who knows. Some have speculated that in '10, Honda used different rings in their engines, so '10 and later models were supposedly not affected by the oil burning problem (unconfirmed?).

Jury still out on the 12s for now - perhaps the "new" rings were used in these engines from the factory and they'll never develop the oil burning issue (?). Again, suspect it will probably take some more mileage by owners to discover if their engines are truly burners or not.

FWIW, the 11's and 12's did not have any factory recalls/tech bulletins issued.

Some 08/09s (on a case by case basis) received the engine re-ring treatment while '10 models were also eligible for new cranks (read up on the abnormal crankshaft noise issue; cranks affected '08 - '10 models and Honda issued a warranty extension notice for said owners).

FWIW, as with any bike (or motor vehicle), if you frequently run it hard, it's wise to check your oil level on a semi-regular basis and top off the oil level accordingly.

If it's burning through a "large" amount, you've likely got issues - the problem is who or how do you define an "acceptable" amount of oil consumption.

That is the part that varies - the manufacturer will say it's X amount of quarts, the dealer will say X amount, a mechanic will say X amount, and the Internet message board experts willl say it's X amount of quarts of oil.

What level are YOU comfortable with?

YMMV

·
Registered
420 Posts
i had a 600rr and loved it but i felt the power just wasnt what i wanted but that was with stock gearing. I can't decide if i want to get a 1000rr or a -1/+2 600rr. I do alot of canyon riding and going to start hitting the track. I was curious which bike is best for this kind of riding.
Your 600 wasn't enough power for canyon riding and the track?

·
Registered
14,356 Posts
OP - Sounds like a 600 would fit your needs just well (especially if you're going to start riding the track, the 1000 may hinder some of your learning in that environment). Plus, there's the usual higher insurance costs of the 1000, etc, etc. Your decision though, g'luck.

Now, on to the oil burning issue for CBR 1000RRs (the following info is strictly a summary of what I have learned just prior to and during the ownership of my '11):

Yes, it (oil burning) appeared to generally be an issue with 08/09 models - although some folks have sworn off owning a 1000/Fireblade until Honda completely redesigns the 1000 engine. And then there's other 08/09 owners who have exhibited zero signs of oil consumption - go figure.

More than a handful of 08/09s were diagnosed as significant oil burners and received new rings at the dealership. There's a few long-running threads over on
CBR 1000/Fireblade specific message boards if you want to read about the issue until you are blue in the face. :)

The oil burning issue hasn't been as widely spread of an issue with the 10/11s, at least it hasn't been documented like it has on the 08/09s. Maybe it's due to lack of mileage by these owners? Who knows. Some have speculated that in '10, Honda used different rings in their engines, so '10 and later models were supposedly not affected by the oil burning problem (unconfirmed?).

Jury still out on the 12s for now - perhaps the "new" rings were used in these engines from the factory and they'll never develop the oil burning issue (?). Again, suspect it will probably take some more mileage by owners to discover if their engines are truly burners or not.

FWIW, the 11's and 12's did not have any factory recalls/tech bulletins issued.

Some 08/09s (on a case by case basis) received the engine re-ring treatment while '10 models were also eligible for new cranks (read up on the abnormal crankshaft noise issue; cranks affected '08 - '10 models and Honda issued a warranty extension notice for said owners).

FWIW, as with any bike (or motor vehicle), if you frequently run it hard, it's wise to check your oil level on a semi-regular basis and top off the oil level accordingly.

If it's burning through a "large" amount, you've likely got issues - the problem is who or how do you define an "acceptable" amount of oil consumption.

That is the part that varies - the manufacturer will say it's X amount of quarts, the dealer will say X amount, a mechanic will say X amount, and the Internet message board experts willl say it's X amount of quarts of oil.

What level are YOU comfortable with?

YMMV
I had an '08 and it ended up burning a quart every 700 miles. Honda claimed it didn't have the proper smoke in the video that the dealer sent them so they wouldn't cover it. It was definitely fixed in newer models.

I have done a lot of track days on different bikes and none of them ever burned a drop. A modern sportsbike shouldn't burn any oil. My Aprilia gets run pretty damn hard and never loses any at all.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Your 600 wasn't enough power for canyon riding and the track?
Yeah, not sure what he's talking about. To each his own but to say the 600 doesn't have enough power for the canyons or tracks is absurd.

So many Americans would get such a wake up call by doing a track day over here and getting lapped by a 13 year old on a 250.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
600 has enough power for canyon and track lol, my words were misleading. I didn't have the acceleration i was wanting but that would be fixed with -1/+2 gearing which i had on the way before my bike got stolen. I want a 1000 for the raw power but im more of doing 60 in the twisties then 150 on a straight : /

What models do yall think is the best? i heard 07-08 was the superior year?

·
Registered
697 Posts
600 has enough power for canyon and track lol, my words were misleading. I didn't have the acceleration i was wanting but that would be fixed with -1/+2 gearing which i had on the way before my bike got stolen. I want a 1000 for the raw power but im more of doing 60 in the twisties then 150 on a straight : /

What models do yall think is the best? i heard 07-08 was the superior year?
I think the 600RR is a lot more fun than the 1000RR. I have owned both.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts