Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure this has been asked a million times but for the millionth and one time. I have NO riding experince what so ever this includes dirt bikes. As of right now I just had my 1st day of MSF the in class crap. Next Sunday I will be taking the actual hands on part. If I like riding should I buy a 600rr I really like them by looks alone of course. I know you guys don;t know me personally but I'm deff not the type of person to push my limits aspecially while learning something new and dangerous like riding. Am I begin to hastey by wanting an RR? I really dont like the baby ninjas or wanna be gsxr the 500gs. I also want like to see at least 40 and still have arms and legs. My friend wants sell me his RR for 5000 and it only has 2,500 miles on it and I know hes been good to the bike. I just don't want buy a bike thats going to take me for a ride instead of vise versa. I guess what I'm really looking for is if there was anyone here in my shoes who had no bike experince but started on an RR. I'd really like to know how they handled all the power an RR has and if it's something that can be done in a as safe as it can get fashion.

·
Impreza The Impressive
896 Posts
I was 19 when i bought my 05 rr and that was the first time i ever got on a bike yet alone sat on one. I haven't tooken the msf course and will not be able to due to me not have any license. Just take it easy and you should be fine. Especially if you're taking the msf course, you'll be fine. Just don't do anything stupid.

Edit: i'm 5'6 135lbs and yes, it does pull for me, the bike pushes me back on my seat and have to grab on to the bars to pull myself forward. i can keep up with an r1 pretty well.

·
Registered
540 Posts
600rr as a first bike can be done, but there's prolly a lot more bikes that are more forgiving.... my 75 kz400 was a great learner bike, was a blast to ride, and whatdouknow was still dangerous ;)

my advice is buy a cheaper older bike that needs some work. you'll get to ride and you'll get to learn to work on it yourself, thus saving $$$ in the long run...

·
Registered
593 Posts
600RR was my first street bike. I had about 3-4 dirt bikes before it. I probably should have started out on somthing smaller. I have had this bike since August and am thinking of steping up to somthing bigger. Its all about how responsible you are. If you dont do stupid **** on it and you respect the bike, and know at any minute it can bite you then you should be fine. Ofcourse sportbikes are not for everyone. That being said if you think you can handle it. Go for it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I bought my first bike in september, it is a 05' CBR600rr. I learned to ride on this bike. Great bike. I have since rode quite a few different bikes but still prefer mine.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
My first bike was a 1000rr. I had never sat on one before that. I have been riding for over a year now. Granted I have gone down, but its like they say... There are two types of riders, those who have gone down and those who will. A 600 will be fine. Just because the power is there doesn't mean you have to use it. Just take it slow and learn throttle control. You will love the bike. Before you know it you will be posting threads about going to the track and want to drag your knee all over the place. Then your hooked. Then the real fun starts. Go for it man. You only live once.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Well, i am in your exact shoes! I bought my RR about a month ago and I dont regret it one bit. Before this i had never riden so much as a 4 wheeler, so I know how you feel. On top of that, i literally learned everything on my own and by myself for all practical purposes. The only instuction I have had to this point came via thie net and questions to friends, many over the phone.

Now I have a great fear of the bike, and I take it very seriously. I think about everywhere i will go well ahead of time. I will not ride with another person till i feel comfortable as i do not want to be in a position where I feel like I need to keep up. I also took the bike to my parents at one point, as they live in a much better neighborhood to putt around. I am 28, so that was a little tough on me, lol. My point is I am taking it very slow! I finally hit like 65 the other day and felt proud. I have just now actually taken it out where traffic is of some concern. I dont imagine I will truly go out on a ride that I dont consider a quick training run till mid summer. All of this I am ok with!

Personally I think if you want a bike like this as your first, you have to have that attitude. If you want to get the bike so you can go impress girls, and run with your friends, then get something a bit more tame for now. You can always resell it for what you put into in a few months and probally not have to deal with a payment till then.

Also, being that you have not been around them, I will admit something I really hate to on here as it does sorta play into this. When you first get a bike, it is very hard getting used to the weight. What I mean is it is hard figuring the balance and how the weight shifts. i mean this more at low speeds. The first time I tried to take mine out, I went up my driveway where at the top I have a lip. I didnt have enough power and it rolled back a little, I lost my footing and dropped it. Nothing major, broken mirror and a little scrap on on the fairing. Another time while tightening a bolt (lowered bike, kickstand is to long till i have it fixed) I put a tad to much pressure on it, it started to fall and I couldnt catch it with enough force in time... Over she went!

Now i am sure that to most people I sound like a moron. Thats all fine, but these are things you just dont realize as you start. You become more comfortable with them and it becomes second nature after awhile but until then, it will be very odd to you. I bench 300 and can lift the ass of the bike with one arm to situate it around when needed and have been in some form of martial arts most of my life so I have pretty good balance. I never thought it would get away from me in such stupid ways, but it did! Its just awkward weight you will have to learn to control.

Anyway, my long two cents... PM me if you have any other questions from the far from expert side.. lol... But know I am still trying to figure it all out too...

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I guess it's just me, but it pains me to see this many people who believe a present-day 600CC is a "good starter bike" Yes, the argument is there about throttle control and if you can control it, it won't bite you. True that learning on a 600 is much more forgiving than a 750, or Liter bike, but under no circumstances should a person believe that 600CC sportbikes are adequate for new riders. An SV-650(V-Twin), 250, 500, anyhting with a wider (and more forgiving) powerband. Buy it used, kick it over, drop it, then you don't have to worry as much. When you start worrying about what will happen to the bike in the event of a crash, you are not concentrating on actually riding the bike.

The least little bit of input on the riders part will result in a significant change in how the motorcycle reacts. My advice is to read Keith Code's "Twist of the Wrist", buy a used beater bike until you feel comfortable with your reactions to dogs, gravel, children, highway wind buffeting, driverscutting you off, nd generally every other split-second decision that you will have to make on a motorcycle. Would you rather worry about $8,000+ or less than half that? It may not be as "pimp" or "bling" as the RR, but you will be a better rider in the long run for having owned a used small CC bike first. Enjoy and ride safe.

·
Registered
362 Posts
My 600rr was my first bike. I have ridden some of my buddies dirt bikes previous to buying it, but the only thing that I learned from that which is even similar to oa road bike is the shifting. While It is definately powerful enough yo get you in trouble if you're not careful, I don't think I would do it any other way. I love this baby! You will not regret it. Take 'er easy for a bit and you'll be fine. I would recomend this bike to you as your first. easy bike to learn on. Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
893 Posts
My advice:

1) Take MSF which your doing.. good!
2) Read "Sport Riding Techniques" by Nick Ienatsch
3) Get someone to go with you to look for a good condition Ninja 250/500.. something slow revving... forgiving
4) Have someone who knows how to ride go to a parking lot and practice with the Ninja
5) Ride the Ninja for the next year while saving money for the RR
6) Purchase your new RR this time next year!!

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
I would suggest getting a 250/500 for the first bike and put about a year on it before moving up. I would also suggest getting a used bike to start out on.

·
Overpaid South Pacific Barista overactive ADHD c
27,367 Posts
600 supersports are not the best first bike.... depends on wot you want, the tears will flow when you through it away for the first time , evertone that i ride with binned it a few times in the first 2 years, not to say you will, but it is pretty likely...
for wot its worth get something you can thrash and trash own it and wring it for at least 6 months the move up... learning trottle control with over 100bhp is not the easy way to do it.. wot ever you decide, welcome to the club , bikes get in ya blood!!! cheers

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
melantus said:
I'm sure this has been asked a million times but for the millionth and one time. I have NO riding experince what so ever this includes dirt bikes. As of right now I just had my 1st day of MSF the in class crap. Next Sunday I will be taking the actual hands on part. If I like riding should I buy a 600rr I really like them by looks alone of course. I know you guys don;t know me personally but I'm deff not the type of person to push my limits aspecially while learning something new and dangerous like riding. Am I begin to hastey by wanting an RR? I really dont like the baby ninjas or wanna be gsxr the 500gs. I also want like to see at least 40 and still have arms and legs. My friend wants sell me his RR for 5000 and it only has 2,500 miles on it and I know hes been good to the bike. I just don't want buy a bike thats going to take me for a ride instead of vise versa. I guess what I'm really looking for is if there was anyone here in my shoes who had no bike experince but started on an RR. I'd really like to know how they handled all the power an RR has and if it's something that can be done in a as safe as it can get fashion..
make sure that the people who "are in your shoes who had no bike experince but started on an RR." actually have EXPERIENCE. I have found (and have ranted about) how people will get on here and having had the bike 6 WEEKS will tell another its great first bike.

If you wanted to really be proficient and master riding a sportbike then you wouldnt START on a sportbike. You'd start on a smaller displacement bike so you could really master being a GOOD RIDER. Once you're a good, smooth (a side effect of smooth is being fast) rider you can ride anything fast.

You've obviously already been told about the 250's and 500's and you're not listening. You're here because you want to hear that the RR that you want is a good first bike. Its not. You wont kill yourself on it. You can learn to ride it. But you'll always be a little afraid of it, just a little. When you're learning to ride you are being inundated with stimuli-traffic, left hand controls, right hand controls, left foot controls, right foot controls, mirrors, oncoming traffic, driveways, lots of stuff you have to watch for while you're trying to figure out how to be smooth and proficient. On a 600 you can easily scare yourself. Why is your friend selling his RR with only 2500 miles on it? Please dont tell me he needs more power and is buying a 100rr.

You want to be a regular at bike nite with 1" chicken strips or you want to ride the bike in the canyons the way it was meant to be ridden?

I hate to toot my own horn but this is a pet peeve of mine. People that see me ride always say the same thing-I'm really smooth. And guess what? being that smooth makes me really fast. People are usually shocked when they find out how few years I've been riding yet I can hang with the race group at a trackday (or be one of the faster B group riders).

I rode my gs500 for 16 months. I rode it to the point that I was outriding guys on 600's and 1000's in the canyons. Thats when I knew it was time to upgrade. I had become a fast RIDER, not a rider on a fast bike.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Yes you can start on the RR but your gonna learn alot slower and it will suck when you bin it the first time. My reccomendation which comes from 4 years of LA riding is get a beater that is slow and forgiving that you arn't afraid to open that right wrist up. Granted it will still bite you on your ass but it will be alot harder and you will learn to be a GOOD rider as oppose to someone who is just using the abilities of the bike.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I guess techinally I could buy this RR and a 250 at same time. Like I said my friend is giving me an awsome deal of 5000 on his barely used RR. Which will leave me with 1000+ dollers to get a 250 ninja. I think I may buy the 250 and if I get bored of it during this riding season I'll sell it and put my 600RR on the road. What do you guys think of that?

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I think if you have a 600RR sitting by the side, the temptation will be too great to not learn your technique on the 250. The 2007 model is almost guaranteed to be a significant redesign for the RR. Thus far, every redesign has brought out a better machine. Ride the 250, take the MSF course, take it to a track day for further riding enjoyment, read Keith Code's book, Nick Ienatsch(Sp?), learn from the seasoned members on this board, stick around this board, and when you get the RR, you will enjoy it that much more. The seasoned members on here have a ton of good advice for riding, modification, and general 2-wheeled knowledge. Advice and knowledge from veterans is only as good as the person listening to it though. If you lean towards the side of common sense, and safety, you will ride enjoyably for years with a better understanding of the machine that extends from you. Enjoy, and ride safe.

·
Registered
83 Posts
melantus said:
I guess techinally I could buy this RR and a 250 at same time. Like I said my friend is giving me an awsome deal of 5000 on his barely used RR. Which will leave me with 1000+ dollers to get a 250 ninja. I think I may buy the 250 and if I get bored of it during this riding season I'll sell it and put my 600RR on the road. What do you guys think of that?

I sort of like that option for some reason. Hell, i am almost convinced to do the same now that I have bought my RR. Give me a chance to baby it and do what I want to it while mastering the 250. Even though I left a very big write up about it being ok as long as you are extremely careful and take it slow, i will tell you it is a very very scary feeling. Almost to the point that I have reconsidered it a couple of times. Seems like the best of both world while starting out. Something I can take pride in and play iwht.. make it my baby, and something I can toss around and learn on while keeping my baby safe at home. Gives you somethnig to strive for too. +1.. GOing to look around at ninjas today..

1 - 20 of 42 Posts