Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, first of all, sorry for my bad english.
so I bought my self 600rr 2003 one month ago and have two problems, maybe someone here know where to start.
I live in a very hot country (Israel) and the temp gauge is always between 96-110 I thought there is something with my coolant system but I found this forum and saw a post about the temp.
the first problem, after 20-30min of riding, if I turn off the bike and start again, the starter sounds weak like the batt is dead, but if I let the bike 15mins to cold down everything back to normal.
the batt is new and when the bike cold it starts with no problem.
another thing is after 20-30min of riding if I pull the clutch on low speed, to shift down or slow down on traffic or on a red light, the RPM drops under 1K and the bike turn off and again if I let him to cold down like 15mins everything back to normal.
most of my riding is when it's 31C outside and some times 34C, but last week I took the bike for a ride early on the morning when it was still cold outside (you know desert, hot days cold nights)
and the bike didn't had any problems at all and that's why I think maybe its something with the coolant system.
I must say I don't redline the bike and don't know much about the history of this bike, till now I changed the oil and batt. next week I want to take off the fairings maybe I will find something there, change spark plugs and valve check.
if someone here has any idea where to start and can help me it would be awesome.
safe riding to everyone!:shakehand

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hello, a little update... still didn't find the problem.
I took off all the fairings to check the wires and found a bit of corrosion on starter relay, and on three relays on the left side of the air filter box, cleaned and put some grease on the connection.
found the throttle body dirty and cleaned it.
found two intake valves that needed a little adjustment.
spark plugs are fine but I ordered a new one.
after that, I let the bike to work outside and check the charging everything is fine, but when the fan starts to work volts drop below 13v and bike turn off. so I change the voltage regulator and the battery for check and still the same problem.
so there is something with the fan but I have no idea what to check next.
any ideas?
thanks a lot

·
Registered
70 Posts
what brand of battery do you have? if its a cheap battery it might not be putting out the 190cca to kick it over...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hello again, found the fan problem.
as I said before, when the fan starts to work, charging drops below 13v and the bike dies.
I took another fan and connect it outside the bike maybe there is a problem with my fan but it didn't help when the fan starts to work if I touch the throttle a little bit charging back to normal and the bike doesn't die.
so I download the workshop service manual, in the manual says that rpm should be 1.3 when the bike is warm.
mine was 1.5 when it's cold but when it warms down to 1.0, so I increase the rpm to 1.3 on warm and bike stop to die when the fan is working and charging is good.
2nd problem with starter when the engine is hot I guess the starter just old and tired I will check the starter next week when I will get my new spark plugs

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
IIRC, 2003-6 can have starter issues, and needs to be opened and cleaned.....starter could need new carbon brushes also.....

There's a thread on this on the forum....use search?

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
This is a battery issue. Your battery voltage is too low to supply the correct current needed under load. Clean your cables and ground connection on the left side of the frame and trickle charge the battery until you have at least 12.8v. Anything under 12.6v can cause hard starting problems. I have an 04 I bought brand new and had the same problem. Replace the battery if you need to but get the bike on a trickle charger and keep it on there. Once you get a good battery and a trickle charger these problems should go away.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts