1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

Need a bit of help.

My old cbr got written off (no fault of my own btw) it was an 08 rr8

I ve spotted a nice 600rr, 2014 reg with 4870 miles. and ABS. Bike is in near perfect condition, looks like rolled off factory floor with a few nicks here and there. There is a slight bit of damage to the exhaust outlet, with what looks like a scrap on the outer casing, dont have a pic bit the damage is minor and is also slightly bent, put pic in of where it is tho, on the same side just around the outer edge of bike.

The problem I have is this is an ex Honda demo bike which was used at donnington park for ron haslem 600rr experience, so it was effectively used as a track bike for lessons on how to use bikes on track.

Test rode it today and it was fine, thought it had a bit of a wobble when going slow round sharp corners, but this could have been me, I remember my old bike did that and I know that was fine.
it is covered by honda warraty till 03/2016 and a 6 month dealership warranty. The bike has also been serviced.

Also has slight damage on edge of tyres due race use.

What do you guys think, should I go for it? Price is 5995.

Attachments

·
Registered
862 Posts
The problem I have is this is an ex Honda demo bike which was used at donnington park for ron haslem 600rr experience, so it was effectively used as a track bike for lessons on how to use bikes on track.
It's a demo bike that was owned by a company that does track classes? Hell, I'd grab it without thinking too much about it since it means that it was well taken care of. It's a huge liability to have a poorly maintained bike doing those maneuvers. You should be more concerned about bikes owned by an average kid.

·
Registered
377 Posts
It's a demo bike that was owned by a company that does track classes? Hell, I'd grab it without thinking too much about it since it means that it was well taken care of. It's a huge liability to have a poorly maintained bike doing those maneuvers. You should be more concerned about bikes owned by an average kid.
What he said^^^BUY IT

Its also the best color combo... ever =)

·
Registered
966 Posts
Good god no.
So a bunch a amatures beat on the thing like they didn't own it, and because the owners changed the oil you think that makes it a great buy? Maintainence doesn't help with rounded transmissions gears, worn shift forks, or anything else of the sort. The thing could have been banging off the rev limiter with zero miles on it, which is really not good for engine brake in. Plus its ABS, which is a no go for me.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Looks like a 2012, was it registered in 2014? I have a 2012 same color scheme but white wheels. Little bit of worry about the use but if you have a warranty then there is some protection. what do you mean by damage on the edge of the tires? I it scuffing? I'd check everything over very carefully, look at chain to see if it's been maintained or run dry - how much wear. Look at where the chain comes off the sprocket, is it greasy? Look like it was regularly lubed? how does it start when cold and warm, idle sounds, head bearing loose, brakes and rotors etc. How worn are the tires? I bought a ZX6R 636 a couple of months ago which had a pretty new rear Michelin Pilot Power 3 with a worn S20 front. The S20 was worn on the edges more than the center - a little cupping or scalloping. First time I rode it in the parking deck at work it was no so much fun. Needed a firm grip on the bars to keep it going where I wanted to. Put a Michelin Pilot Power 3 front on it and was a totally different bike. Mismatched tires can cause problems or unusual steering and handling.

Listen to what the folks have to say but don't trust what they say. Some people are just dishonest and others are very honest. However both can be wrong, I'd rather deal with an honest person who is ignorant than a dishonest person who is trying to cheat me. I had a dealer make an honest mistake (I made the same mistake), but when we found out they stood behind it and did me right.

Hopes this helps.

·
Registered
10,419 Posts
Test rode it today and it was fine, thought it had a bit of a wobble when going slow round sharp corners, but this could have been me, I remember my old bike did that and I know that was fine.
it is covered by honda warraty till 03/2016 and a 6 month dealership warranty. The bike has also been serviced.
Few things to consider:

1. Is this a 2014 bike or older? You said registered in 2014 but that doesn't mean the bike was made in 2014.

2. The Honda warranty is over (03/16) but you still have 6month left of dealer warranty, correct? Verify this for sure and have it in writing, with the exact coverage of the warranty.

3. The bike being serviced is a good thing. Not sure what you meant by tire damage, but its most likely tire wear from track use which is normal on tires used by track bikes. I would highly suggest asking the dealer to throw in a brand new set of tires with the purchase.

The price seems fair for mileage and condition. I would inspect it again yourself and go through every part of the bike, and even suggest bringing your own mechanic with you. The dealership (and its mechanics) are not always on your side.

Good luck man.

·
Registered
146 Posts
If it was Ron Haslam school bike then I would expect it to have been properly maintained during its time in his hands. Ron is "Honda man" after all, being one of their top racers back in the day.

Yes it wil have been ragged, but it's a Honda, so probably fine. That said get an expert or knowledgeable mate to check it over for you. Might even be worth calling Ron to ask what his maintenance schedule is on his school bikes, no harm in asking he'd probably be very helpful. As its a Honda supported business he could ill afford to be using bikes not properly maintained.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Take your time and compare it with several other 600's currently for sale in your area. Then maybe decide after further research and learning.

·
Registered
47 Posts
are you going to buy back the 08? how much are they asking it? do you mind if i buy it back? i want to use it as a track bike. i have been wanting to find a bike that is not too much damaged and build for track. let me know

·
Registered
146 Posts
are you going to buy back the 08? how much are they asking it? do you mind if i buy it back? i want to use it as a track bike. i have been wanting to find a bike that is not too much damaged and build for track. let me know
Unless you are in the UK, this may cost you a bit on delivery charges.

·
Registered
966 Posts
If it was Ron Haslam school bike then I would expect it to have been properly maintained during its time in his hands.
Again, with less then 5000 miles the only thing required is an oil change. Not sure what maintenance everyone is talking about at this mileage........

1 - 14 of 14 Posts