Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a thread on here that discusses the pros and cons of people's newer 600rr's compared to their older ones because surely there are enough people on here that have had the chance to own more than a couple different 600rr's till now.
I had a chance to ride an 07 after riding 03 as my daily and I had mixed feelings.
I am intrigued to read the reviews on what people liked about their old vs. new bike etc.

btw tried searching and didnt find anything.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
I'll make it short...

03-04 is 20lbs heavier than the 05-06 and it is said that Honda up'ed the midrange on the 05-06. A lot of magazines called the 03-04 "porky", leading Honda to shed a good amount of weight in the 2005 models. Cosmetically, there are some changes between the 03-04 and the 05-06. The front is different, the vents in the tail are slightly different and color schemes obviously.

The 2007+ is a totally different bike and is 20lbs lighter than the 05-06, which makes it about 40lbs lighter than the 03-04. Its also advertised to have more midrange than previous years and it looks totally different. Personally, I love the look of the 05-06 rr, but to each his own. Hope that helps out a bit.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Yet personally i like the 04 aka mine with the red but black tail and black air rams ...but then again i love 600rr's not a specific year, ill take any year and be more than happy instead of having a different company.

03-04 air rams sperate, Tool kit im not sure but i dont think the newer models come with a builtin full servce kit (adds alot of weight but nice to have for when other companies bikes break down ha) , also placement of rear break fluid sucks on these models.

·
Registered
922 Posts
From riding the 03 for 7years...

I have test ridden each gen. as they appear, with thoughts of upgrading. Each gen. seats you further over the front wheel to me. There was a noticeable difference in power delivery on the 08. I didn't like the overall ride though. I prefer the more stable feeling of the 03 myself. I'm reasonalby sure the aftermarket pipe on my 03 brings it within a few lbs of the newer gen. The powercommander and dyno brings my performance to well withing striking distance too. I prefer the front suspension setup and front brake setup on the 05 gen. This is easily factored out knowing anyone over 150lbs is going to want to respring their bike for serious going. It's nothing overwhelming. So I suppose it's down to the better application of the radial master cylinder. I'm thinking of adding the 05 front end to my 03 this summer for this reason. I rather liked it after having dnoe it t the trackbike I built last year. I definately urge you folks to upgrade the steering head bearings regardless.

The fact State Farm insures me for $20 a month ain't too shabby either.:bootyshak

If I was going to offer advice on a newer rider thinking of his first 600rr: Go 05-06 if your not mechanicaly inclined. Go 03-04 and do the conversion if you are.

The one thing I did notice was the upgrades in the 07+ crop of 1k's. Used to be at a local track I wouldn't see them until the far end of the main straight. Now I see them about halfway(riding my 03 600rr). I also had an 04 1k. I came to it from the older 954 series. I recall the first time out on the track with the 04 1k. I was allready 2 seconds faster out the gate, though it felt about 5 seconds slower. I royally screwed up and sold the 04 for an 07 1krr. It was like riding the 954 all over again...the powerband felt like a newgen 250 twostroke dirtbike to. NOT what I wanted to run around the race track on...I sold the 1krr last fall.

I have yet to be smoked by any newer model 600 in terms of raw power. I have a few trackday buddies who upgraded and it sure didn't help them get by me.:retard:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts