Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
:director: WARNING WARNING WARNING!!!

So in the past couple of days, I was victim of a scam attempt by a now former member of the 600rr.net. I was so suspicious of the attempt in fact, that I notified one of the moderators I have come to respect through this site for his opinions and values. It was nothing motorcycle related (although she did claim bikes that weren't her own) it did however originate from this site and I felt it should be addressed. After review, the member was removed by the moderator on the same conclusion based off the overwhelming evidence I was trying to be scammed out of some cash. As this has been recently played out, I want to advise you (my fellow 600rr.net’rs) of the antagonist of this story only in order to protect others of a dishonorable threat. Sadly, it was “MissPryss801.”

For those of you who don't recognize her name, this member posted pictures on “Pictures of 600rr.net Family” of what she claimed to be herself and her friend. It is on one of the last pages of the thread. To make a long story short, she contacted me via PM and invited me to chat on instant messaging. After a great night of conversation via AIM, I thought I was fortuned with a new friend from the 600rr.net family. She played all the right roles from funny and laid back, to philosophical and self-reputably spontaneous. I know, I know…already too good to be true. I also told her right up front I had a girlfriend who I have been with for over a year, and sure there was innocent flirting during the chats, but I still felt comfortable befriending her as I was honest about where I stood in my relationship so there was no misconceptions. I even told my girlfriend about my new friendship the next day excited to have another person to chat with while fighting off boredom here in Iraq.

After a very short time, she (calling herself "Hayley") fell into a desperate state of need and misfortunes which ultimately led her to ask me for assistance. My suspicions grew after a series of mysterious circumstances and I began investigating the email address, screen name, and pictures. I identified the person in the pictures (and who she really was) and began unfolding lie after lie with MissPryss801. She always had an explanation and never faltered in her story. Eventually the evidence became overwhelmingly concrete and when confronted with it, she merely vanished even when given an opportunity to explain herself one last time. I also notified the girl who is actually in the pictures sent to me personally (from MissPryss801) and the ones posted on 600rr.net. Naturally, I would be query of such an email I sent saying, “This girl is posing as you and sending me pictures…” yadda yadda and I haven’t heard from her but it has only be one day. Perhaps she doesn’t even care, but I felt it was the right thing to do is this case.

So that said, if any of you have had PM correspondence with MissPryss801, you have now been WARNED. Luckily I executed my checks and balances before doing something foolish. Most of you are keen enough to steer clear of such a scam, but the way I figure it is this: If a scammer can target 1,000 people a year and have a success rate of 1% for about $500 each, that is still $5,000 a year. It is worth their time to attempt to hit as many targets as possible and hope for that 1%.

I can sometimes barely comprehend the level of disgust in some human behavior. I mean really…come on. Bike thieves and scammers are some of our more notorious ones on this site. The things we would suggest should be done to them are all fair game to me. It was refreshing to think I was making a new friend and whereas I was discouraged and very disappointed this time around, I look forward to logging in some miles with many of you this summer and continue those “ball pen” discussions, arguments, and stories with the rest of ya!

If any of you had a personal dealing with MissPryss801, I will discuss with you in more detail how I was able to discover everything I did. For the rest, I assure you I am not withholding anything relevant that could potentially help you in the future. Just be smart and ride safe.

*I don’t see in any way how this post could be inappropriate as I am simply warning fellow members, but if there is a moderator that feels I should add/exempt from this, please let me know.*

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
That's ******* retarded.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Good lookin out bro! I've seen the pics, but haven't had any personal contact with her. She probably PM'ed you because she saw that you were in the service. I'm glad you were smarter than that. Women like that give good women a bad name.

·
Registered
9,936 Posts
Good lookin out bro! I've seen the pics, but haven't had any personal contact with her. She probably PM'ed you because she saw that you were in the service. I'm glad you were smarter than that. Women like that give good women a bad name.
If the scammer is even female.... most of the time scammers from africa take on a female profile to "lure" men...

·
Registered
9,936 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^definitely considered that but I couldn't be the one to admit I was sweet talked by a DUDE! HAHA! :puke:
You were the smart one bro... good on ya for using the higher head... lol...

But seriously, just think about it.. first the flirty post of some chick's bikini pics... then another post about wanting to meet people... there's a shiny hook in that yummy worm... :all_cohol

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
is it really?
Haha...so the extra "0" was for emphasis in the 50,000!!! Haha...jeez...I probably lost credit there and now I have the moral debate whether to change it....oh heck...I have to or people will be too amused by that and forget the fact of the post. LOL.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Yeah, I didn't have any direct contact with said person but I did become suspicious of "her" story as things developed in the other threads. OP, when you realized that is was a scam you should have checked out http://www.419eater.com/index.htm for inspiration and the enjoyment of your fellow .net 'ers.

·
Registered
606 Posts
so - in detail, waht exactly did she do to try to scam u? sell you something? ask u for funds for sex? etc?

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
so - in detail, waht exactly did she do to try to scam u? sell you something? ask u for funds for sex? etc?
In short, befriended me as quickly as possible and laid out incredible circumstances that put her in an impossible bind. Specifically:

* new puppy chew threw battery charger of computer and she works from home

* debit card frozen and all bank accounts frozen because of unauthorized use of other people

* Phone broke because she dropped it in a puddle and her boss needs to contact her (didn't have insurance)

* would ask her parents to wire money but they died in a horrible wreck as a child

* clutch going bad in her car because she let her friend borrow it

* rent is due and all her bills in a few days (being end of month) and he account is frozen for 10-20 days

*she was just dumped

and these were spat out faster that any sane person could even think them up! So yeah...she was pretty much looking for a wire transfer.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts