Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not my pic, but someone sent me this. Was in the newest issue of Performance Bikes magazine.
Take it for what it is.

·
Registered
14,362 Posts
May or may not be true. I doubt a magazine has information that no one else seems to have though. Remember all of the spy photos they give us, that turn out to be complete BS?

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
May or may not be true. I doubt a magazine has information that no one else seems to have though. Remember all of the spy photos they give us, that turn out to be complete BS?
That's why I said take it for what it is, just passing a article that was sent to me.

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And not saying I think it is true by any means. For a "news" article it's pretty vague.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I wonder. I saw an interview somewhere (maybe here?) where a reporter was speaking to the Honda fellow responsible for the 600 & 1000 and they were talking about a major refresh and what models they were going to make etc. It was pretty up in the air from what I saw. The new 1000 is supposed to have a much better/open ECU, that was one thing and they were talking about some really high-end, high-dollar bikes too. It would not surprise me if they were re-assessing the whole lineup. From what the Honda fella was saying, it certainly sounded like they were....

My take on the interview was that there was nothing definitive yet though. Just talk about which directions to go but that anything was on the table...

·
Registered
7,045 Posts
Stopping the production of the 600 would mean they would have to drop out of those racing classes that demand a production bike to be based on. That would be a big move.

The Euro 4 thing is a big deal; some bikes you can engineer a solution in place, but looking at the 600RR frame I can't see where they would make room for the huge knot of metal that the new bikes are coming with (check out the R1's stock exhaust for an idea of what it takes to meet Euro 4.)

·
Registered
940 Posts
So...how does this affect Motogp? The Moto2 engine is a 600cc produced by Honda used by ALL the teams. Is this entire class going away? If they spend they time and money producing the Moto2 can't they just make a shell, remove some of the electronics, detune a bit then sell it to the masses?

"Moto2™ - The Moto2™ Official Engine is currently supplied by Honda and tuned by Spanish firm ExternPro. This is a 600cc four-stroke production engine."

Source -> http://www.***********/en/Inside+MotoGP/Bikes

·
Registered
271 Posts
Well isn't the market for 600's pretty saturated right now? I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they did away with it and then brought it back after a couple years... it would be a shame though... the cbr600rr has a soft spot in my heart since my current one is my first and the one that I learned to ride on.

·
Registered
940 Posts
I don't want the 600 class to go away because I cannot pay the insurance on a 1k or want to have the extra cost of replacing eaten tires when I go to the track. I still think this is smoke and mirrors but if it is indeed true, I will buy a 2017 redesigned CBR 1k in 2020 when the price has come down a bit.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
History repeats itself. Speculation is every where and it's no where near the truth. Who the hell rides Honda 250/300/500? Take the 600RR away leaves only one sport bike in that category. That's not going to happen.

I'm more excited to see the 2017 model. The more interesting topic if it's going to change?

·
06/2016 BOTM Winner 07/2015 BOTM Winner
2,862 Posts
If the 600 line for honda was to go away b/c the market was that bad then the other's would be following suit. Its not as if the ZX-6 / R6 / GSXR are all selling like hot cakes and the CBR is falling off a cliff. I could see them dialing back production and limiting options / colors to save cost but Id be shocked to see the 600RR production stopped. The used bike market is thriving so even if this did happen its not as if you could not get a CBR

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
History repeats itself. Speculation is every where and it's no where near the truth. Who the hell rides Honda 250/300/500? Take the 600RR away leaves only one sport bike in that category. That's not going to happen.
You obviously don't see what's happened then as one of the reasons the 600RR isn't selling as well is because it's no longer the "entry level" sportbike in Honda's lineup since they have the 250/300/500 (and slightly less so the 650F) and they are selling quite well. In the 90's to late 2000's if I wanted a "small" Honda to start in it was a 600 (either F2, F3, F4, F4i or RR) but now I can get a 300 and either move up or move on as needed, the 600 isn't much in demand.

When is the last time you've seen a brand new, 4 year old 300 or 500R in a showroom? Until late last year I knew of a brand new '12 600RR at a local shop and I can get a new '13 in any color I want without even trying. The 300 or 500? I've yet to see more than a single model year old 500 in a dealership.

In the end manufacturing costs are the same (or close to it) for the 1k and 600RR but no way could you sell the RR for anywhere close to the liter; not a good financial product and the leftover stock proves it. On the other hand, the Taiwan built smaller bikes are, their price point shows.

Thinking we'll see the 600RR not offered for '17 as they empty out stock and gear up for 1000RR launch, then the "cheap" 600RR will be replaced in '18 as a "high spec" limited run SP bike with a matching price tag.

·
Registered
116 Posts
someone file that article to bring out next year when the new model comes out.Worst case,new model for everywhere-except europe

1 - 17 of 17 Posts