Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Bike Info:
2006 cbr600rr 23k miles
BMC Race Filter
Two Bros slip on
Castrol Part Synthetic 5w40 oil
Chevron 93 Octane gas (have tried other gas stations to rule out bad gas)

Rider Info:
6'1"
200 lbs

Previous owner had the 15K service done. So I got a used cbr600rr. Rode it around last season and constantly got only 90 to 100 mpg out of her. When I park in the garage it starts to smell like gas after an hour. I looked around and no gas present on any floor or parts around tank or plastics.

UPDATE: I took apart the airbox to see the filter and it was dirty, so ordered a new one. Also cleaned out the airbox as oil residue was present from the pair system. No gas present but will prime the fuel line today and see if gas does come out from the lines or injectors seals.

I finally took all the plastics off yesterday as my radiator sprung a leak and well previous owner used JBweld rather than having it aluminium welded, so now I need to get a new radiator but when I have the bike apart are there things other than gas lines that I should look at?

·
Registered
862 Posts
90-100 mpg!? Sh!t man, you must be running on a single cylinder...

I'll assume you mean 90-100 miles out of a tank... Besides checking the fuel lines, check tire pressures, chain slack and condition. Those will have an impact on your mileage. If you smell gas, it's coming out of somewhere. In which case it shouldn't be hard to track down. Just saw a thread a little ago where the fuel was coming out of the fuel rail.

Here it is: http://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?p=7201105#post7201105

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I'm assuming you're starting with a full tank of gas and doing an average of 55-65mph? Are you tracking your miles? Does the 06 have a gas gauge?

I agree the amount seems low, it should be around the 200 mile range. 5 gallons at 45 mpg = 225 miles.

I would check the tank for leaks, but you said you don't see anything. Lift it up and make sure everything looks correct.

Also just replace the radiator, not worth trying to fix it. It would just give you more problems down the road.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes 90 to 100 miles out of the tank. I usually fill up when the bars flash and put in about 3.7 to 3.9 gallons. I am assuming that it may be leaking somewhere under the tank but I just cant fathom that I have not gotten a fire or drops of gas anywhere. Chain is tightening up to have 1in in slack and tires are at 34psi.

·
Registered
913 Posts
On my 600rr I was getting about 42-45 mpg.. I can go 120 miles and have 3 bars left on the gauge...my bike has 40k miles on it... What is your riding style? Hard on the gas, fast every where you etc...that can play a factor as well.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
862 Posts
Yes 90 to 100 miles out of the tank. I usually fill up when the bars flash and put in about 3.7 to 3.9 gallons. I am assuming that it may be leaking somewhere under the tank but I just cant fathom that I have not gotten a fire or drops of gas anywhere. Chain is tightening up to have 1in in slack and tires are at 34psi.
Hopefully someone can chime in if I'm wrong but aren't the tire pressure supposed to be 36 front and 42 rear?

·
BOTM Winner 02/15
237 Posts
Wut 200 miles range?!?!?!, I can just get 130 miles max out of one tank, I thought that was normal? I do ride highways a lot though at 75mph.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Ya I'm getting about 120 per tank on my 03, 34k miles. I wouldn't say I'm heavy handed with the throttle, but when an open stretch of road starts calling my name...well :cruising:
I believe I run rich too. Just an air filter, slip-on, and PC3 with a map from their website (not a custom tune).

5'11'' 145 lbs no gear.

Things to maintain for better MPG: chain lube and tension, clean air filter, tire pressures, change oil every 3k. Maybe try adding seafoam to your next couple tanks. It always seems to give me a boost in MPG in the tank that I added it to, and then tapers off in the subsequent tanks. Maybe consider replacing your fuel filter?
I'm sure there are more things to maintain but that is what I start evaluating first when MPG starts to suffer. 07+ bikes get better MPG as well, if you were comparing MPG difference between model years.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Correct Loyha on the psi. I run 40 rear/35 front for everyday riding and adjust accordingly for the really twisty stuff like the dragon or blood mountain.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I mainly do spiritied runs with a good 50 miles on hwy going about 75mph and rest is twisties in high rpms. But most everyone else seems to still have a full bar to 2 bars and my bike starts flashing the low fuel sign. But I am pretty sure I dont have a fuel filter, it's just a screen inside the fuel pump and it's clean. I also have a non Cali spec model so I don't have any of the emissions things. So I don't have any servo, or 02 sensor on my bike.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Maybe it's running really rich? I'm not familiar with non-Cali bikes, but I would assume you should have an O2 sensor. Not having an O2 would cause the bike to go into limp mode and just dump fuel into the cylinders?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Double post.

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
AFIK no US Spec CBR 07+ has O2 sensor....

? could you have a slightly crumpled tank? 90 miles to flash mode seems slightly low.....

I am down to 2-3 bars at 105 miles on a brimmed tank on my 09.

at 120 miles or so, go into flash mode...

about 32 mpg.....spirited riding averaging about 75mph.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Do you have a Power Commander on the bike? Your symptoms and descriptions are sounding like a bike that's running rich. However if you are riding high revs a lot, that's not THAT far off of mileage.

If you do have a PC it may be malfunctioning or the map is either bad or corrupt. If you don't yoyr bike is running rich. I'd start doing sort of typical maintenance things like plugs, filters, etc. You should have a fuel filter in the tank but you have to remove the pump to get to it (I think, maybe not on the earlier gen), and personally I'm not a fan of aftermarket air filters so I'd suggest stock there too. I'd also look to see if your bije has an 02 sensor and see how bunked up that is or if it's been disconnected. People do weird things in the name of "performance" that has no effect other than bad so I'd look around.

Service manual should have a section on things to check if you're running rich, follow that as well.

Mike

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well we will see what will happen. I do not have a 02 I checked today all over the pipes and the only things I have are what is listed above in first post for mods.

I have ordered a new filter, plugs looked to be in good condition. I am removing the lower airbox triangles and also replacing the filter with a new BMC Race. Hoping I can maybe lean out the bike by introducing more air as it does seem to run rich as I get little hotter temps and always smell like exhaust when I get home from a run.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Try riding in a higher gear. I'm usually getting 120 miles out of a tank before the bar starts flashing, but I'm usually putting around at 3k - 4k rpm unless on the freeway.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So no leaks on any connections or lines. Seems like the smell is coming from one of the 2 hoses that dump to the ground by the kick stand. I think this is the breather hose for the tank and the other is the fresh air supply? One of these gives off a heavy gas smell. Any idea as to why or if this is normal?

Also I am thinking my gas gauge may be off as every time it starts to flash I only put in around 3.5 to 3.7 gallons. And if we have a 5 gallon tank than there is my issue.

Is there a fuel level sensor inside the tank? I know there is a float but I am thinking maybe the sensor is bad?

·
Registered
830 Posts
Is it possible that you had your tank breather hose pinched at one time and vacuumed the sides of your tank in, effectively reducing its maximum capacity? That hose is easy to pinch, and it will cause a vacuum strong enough to suck the sides of your metal tank in.

One of your hoses is going to smell strongly of gas. That's what it is for.

·
Registered
129 Posts
with my mods and living in the mountains and a little hard riding, i average 150 miles to the tank.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts