Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is my situation....

I owned a 600 F4i a couple of years ago for about 3 months before it was stolen and I in the process of looking to replace it. This was my very first bike. (Took Motorcycle Safety Course)

Here's my problem... Do I get a 600RR or 1000RR? Money is not the issue here. I'm afraid if I purchase the 600RR in a year I will want to upgrade to the 1000RR.

What do you guys think? What would you do? Is the 1000RR going to be to much bike for me?

Thanks for your help!

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

·
Mad Chemist
5,798 Posts
I would recommend the 600RR, that thing is fast enough, The 1000RR scares me. And what the hell, if you want the litre version in a year, trade in the 600.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Buy the 600 ride it for a year, then make it a track bike the following year also buying the 1000rr for the street....since money isnt an issue... :beer:

·
Registered
922 Posts
True, you may crave more power after a year on the 600. But the confidence you will gain staying with a smaller bike while learning a bit more about riding techniques is priceless as well. Remember, you can train a monkey to twist the right handle and wheelie. 8)

·
Registered
257 Posts
:roll: the liter bike's are great but in the end, it's always down to the rider. You may crave more power, but the control and technique may be pushed to the side as you try to jet down a straighaway.

I guess it comes to whether you like to ride fast in 1 direction, or like twisties and handling. I've rode a 600 for 2 years and it responds so smoothly to command. it's much easier to cut a corner faster and make a turn. Then i rode a gixxer 750.....very powerful and light...however you have to really have control over it. it's not as "docile" as a 600.....I haven't rode a liter bike yet...but i imagine its something else..

anyways...long story short....i've raced larger bikes and whooped them hands down.....then again, people always assume that getting the 600 is the "sissier" version. little do they know..to each his own. :idea:

·
Registered
937 Posts
Power should be respected, not coveted. Not many 600cc riders know how to ride thier bike to it's maximum potential. I admit, i am one of those. The 1k is a nice bike and all, but a 600 is more forgiving. i've had countless "lessones learned" on my 600: I give it too much gas in a corner, too much gas in an uphill corner :shock: , too much gas with cold tires, etc... the 600 has been very forgiving. I cant say i would have made it out of that "uphill corner leaning to the right on one wheel" had i been on a 1000. I just dont have the skill, and the bike would have mostlikley been to powerful for me to control.

Get the 600, it's sexy as hell and squids wont say "Yo, you should'a got uh (R1, ZX10, 12, Busa)"

·
Registered
391 Posts
Don't take this the wrong way, but if the sum total of your motorcycling experience is a few months and a MSF course you're quite frankly not ready for either of these bikes and especially not the 1000RR.

C

·
0 Posts
WELCOME!

glad ya could make it....

Sorry to hear about your F4i being stolen....

here we go again...the 600 is a great bike to learn on (or re-learn)... :roll: IMO it's about self control. If you can control the throttle than you can control the 1000. If your a gas junkie, than get a ninja 250 so you don't kill yourself.... Do you ever ride two up on long trips? Than you may need the 1000... Are you trying to get fast at the track or twisties? Than the 600 will be pleanty fast and light enough to corner quickly... Anyway, good chioce in brand :thumbup: good luck with the decision...

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Well... it's a known fact that lots of members on this board have the 600RR as their first ever bike after taking the MSF course... so it would be hard to sway you away from another type of bike (even though I agree with ST on the SV650).

I owned a GSXR-1000 (2003) for about 3 months. IMHO it was WAY TOO MUCH POWER for the street... and I have been riding motorcycles for lots of my life. You can bet the new 1000RR is going to make MORE POWER than this.

If you heart is set on either the 600RR or the 1000RR... get the 600RR... take a bunch of track and riding schools... get super fast and confident... keep the 600RR for the street and track... because a 1000 is WAY TOO MUCH POWER to make a mistake on the street with... and later get the 1000 for the TRACK ONLY.

Here is a video of a claimed "track racer" on his GSXR-1000 (2003)... following me on my somewhat stock yellow 600RR... now you tell me who was in control:

http://www.ridersinc.com/HOME PAGE/GALLERY PAGE/GALLERY PAGE GRAPHICS/Stunt101.wmv

Good luck... Nick - MRI

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
A good rider will make the bike faster. I know a guy who rider a ninja 250 on our group rides and no one can keep up with him in the twisties, sure on the straight aways he's easy to pass but when he hits those turns he's gone.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys

I'm 32 so I'm not some stupid squid that will be lane splitting in rush hour traffic... I want to learn how to ride and ride really well.

So I decided on the 600RR. I have all the paperwork done and I'm ready to pick up my new 04 600RR(Black) but it's to damn cold here to do it.

Guess I will try next week when it's warmer... I hope.

Thanks again for your input!

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Good choice! Black beauty that's what I call her... That guy in the Gixxer 1 was all over the road the person with the camera was really smooth I thought though. My first bike was a GSXR750, and I never had any mishaps but I think it did slow my learning some. I rode a CBR600RR and the handling is what won me over and I had to have one. Plus the RR looks soooo much better than any Suzuki. Another reason I like 600's is that you can pick on the guys with the bigger bikes after you smoke them through the twisties, they can't say anything to you because they're supposed to be in the front with their bigger is better bikes. :wink:

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
It tells you at the very end, but I forgot... :headscratch: was that bike that was down the 1000 rider? I finally watched the whole movie and he just got worse and worse he was in the oncoming lane more than his own. It almost looked as if he was doing it on purpose.

U

·
0 Posts
ST said:
cvlighthouse said:
....If your a gas junkie, than get a ninja 250 so you don't kill yourself....
it's not the gas that is gonna kill him.... :roll:
Hey ST, like we agreed upon earlier:

More rider training, not more powerful bikes. :thumbup:

Check out my sig and go over to 1000RR.net to get more info on the 1000 if you'd like people!

edited: the spelling nazi goofed on agreed, I had areed before. tsk, tsk.

·
Registered
58 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
ridersinc said:
Here is a video of a claimed "track racer" on his GSXR-1000 (2003)... following me on my somewhat stock yellow 600RR... now you tell me who was in control:

http://www.ridersinc.com/HOME PAGE/GALLERY PAGE/GALLERY PAGE GRAPHICS/Stunt101.wmv

Good luck... Nick - MRI
Is that guy from europe or something, hes all in the other lane all the time? Wow is all I gotta say. Im surprised it took him that long to crash. Luckily he didnt get hurt a lot worse, or worse yet get someone else hurt. That road looks pretty cool, but seems like it could get pretty dirty.

·
Registered
45 Posts
sbraden, good choice for all the reasons these guys explained. :) You'll save money on tires too!

Nick - lol thanks for posting that.. DAMN I feel better about my riding and I suck. What's with them crossing double yellows to straighten the road out.. :bitchslap: Don't they know curves are the fun part.. hehe

-F

1 - 20 of 24 Posts