Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 481 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone, this is my first post here and I think it will be a rewarding one. Just about a week ago I handed in my 2003 CBR600RR for a “big” modification. I decided to give it a turbo charger along with everything else this modification would require.

Before the engine was opened I took it for a dyno measurement and it toped around 107hp. I will post the graph as soon as I get the chance to scan it. At the moment it has a power commander, a BMC air filter and a Leo Vince full titanium exhaust system.

I decided to change the pistons (Wiseco forged from Kawasaki ZXR 636) and the clutch disks (Barnett) in order to be able to raise the pressure. The upper part of the engine (can’t recall the name, the part with the valves inside) was sent to Big CC racing to UK for improvement.

My mechanic said that the compression ratio will come down to around 9:1 or even less and the turbo will work at around 1.5 bars. The turbine comes from the stock Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution.

I believe that in a few days the motor will be up with the turbine mounted and I will be able to post the first pictures of it.

I would be very glad to hear any comments/questions you may have. Please you can post anything you want (I would love to hear comments from you to be honest) but for the love of God don’t tell me about 1000cc bikes, the project is on its way and I believe that until the end of the month it will be alive and kicking.

P.S. I can speak English although it’s not my native language, but I am not very familiar with all these technical terminology. I will try to describe all the modifications and the parts and if you please you could drop me a translation.

Thanks for your time, I will keep you all updated.

·
Premium Member
13,432 Posts
Wow, this is the first time I have ever heard of turbo charging a bike. I am definitely interested in this project and would like to see some updates as you move along. What kind of HP do you expect when you are finished? Why do you want to turbo charge it anyway? Do you drag race?

Where are you from?

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have heard of turbo Disel bikes but none that are actually mass produced... this sounds amazing... can't wait to see what HP you get.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I leave in Greece, Athens.

Unfortunately those kinds of modifications are very scarce here in Greece, and the turbo “subject” is very underdeveloped here, especially on the bike field. Despite that my mechanic seems very knowledgeable and he cooperates with well known improvement houses around Europe.

He spoke of a horsepower between 160-170 hp at the rear wheel with a pressure of 1.5 bars.

I don’t plan to drag race to be honest; I just liked the idea of my bike being unique. I have the impression that there are very very few CBR600RR turbo in our planet :icon_lol: if any. I haven’t seen one on the streets to be honest.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
your bike is going to be a monster if it actually can be put together correctly...then you up the boost and throw a wheelie bar on there, add some drag radials, and hit the drag strip. you'll be running low 9's? high to mid 8's maybe?? i dunno how fast you'd be, but you'd definitely be able to call your bike a true rocket...

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hehe yeah, I guess you are right, that's what I am hoping for anyway. I have yet to sleep a nigth since I gave my bike to the mechanic. I tend to spend 1-2 hours there everyday, hoping to get the things be done faster:toothy4: . All I can do is waiting at the moment.

And all these comments about drag racing...you must enjoy it a lot where you leave huh?

Not very fun of it I just want to make wheelies in 5th gear lol :p

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
is there a BOV on it to? I love the sound that makes for cars on a bike would be pure love juice...
btw- lot of hot women over there or what? pics would help... lol

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Of course it has a blow off valve, I have heard the sound of a kawi Z1000 turbo that he just finished and I was just impressed, you can’t possibly imagine the sound of it guys unless you hear it live.

There are a lot of nice girls here too, especially during summer they go a bit wild, but I guess no place on earth has more horny beauties than south California. Or am I wrong? At least that’s what I used to see on Baywatch, hehe.

The idea behind the whole project is of course not to get killed. :p

·
Registered
526 Posts
sweet, there has been some talk on here about building a Turbo bike and everybody is like "why would you do that to a 600, or it wont work". I have a buddy that has a turbo Busa and it is one of the baddest machines I've been around, pretty sure he's runnin 7lbs of boost, air shifter, pc3, no wheelie bar street bike runnin high 8's 230 hp I think. Here is a couple pics of it and a video that's kinda long but you get too see and here that Busa, and half way through is where I almost looped my RR off the start.

The video has my buddy on the TL1000r, buddy on the orange rr, buddy on the turbo Busa, and his girl on the all stock F4i. Enjoy!
Click here to see Video

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have heard of turbo Disel bikes but none that are actually mass produced... this sounds amazing... can't wait to see what HP you get.
The horsepower is going to be out of control its easily going to reach litre bike and maybe beyond horsepowers out of a 600cc Motor.... How reliable is this going to be? I mean could you ride all day with out anything going wrong? I have read up on these they say that your rings on the pistons and the seals cant take the pressure out of the 600cc displacement motor.... But since your getting motor work and top end work done I could be wrong!

·
Registered
223 Posts
I don’t plan to drag race to be honest; I just liked the idea of my bike being unique. I have the impression that there are very very few CBR600RR turbo in our planet :icon_lol: if any. I haven’t seen one on the streets to be honest. [/quote]

+1 that never seen or heard of one either! Except for yours!!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah I have read about that before, but that was not a road bike guys, it had round fairings and it was running on the desert to break the speed land record, nothing like what I plan to do.

About the reliability issue the guy said that it will be 100% reliable, and to convince me he signed to me a 1 year guarantee that he will replace any parts that may be damaged during that period.

As a disadvantage he told me that my service periods will raise to double they used to be. He said that service will cost just about the sae it was before but I ll have to do it twice as usual as I used to.

It was hard to believe it my self in the beginning but as he explained to me because of the lower compression ratio 12:1 -> 8:1 internal parts of the engine work in a smoother pace and as a result they tend to last longer in turbo engines.

The reason the head will be send to UK is some kind or gas, air flow improvement (no idea if there is a technical term), which will add a few HP’s too.

As far as the HP and the ridability (if there is such a word) of the thing I don’t think there are many differences between the 600cc and the 1000cc apart from the swing arm length. moreover I am already aware that it will be wheelie machine and it will consume much more gasoline than it used to.

The thing about pics is that I have some but they only show the motor opened nothing special, I hope by the end of the week it will be mounted, and I will have some more interesting pics to post.

1 - 20 of 481 Posts