Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I have been thinking of a strategic way to be able to get on a 1000. The only reason I want one is because I am 6'3" and I fit on it better. So I came up with a plan to get my wife all trained up on a beater bike of some sort and then let her take my 6 and I could make her old bike a track bike and get a 1000RR. Sounds good to me. Only thing I am wondering about is how it handles compared to the 600RR. I like to ride twisties and be able to go from side to side and not have to worry about excessive power spinning me out in the corners. Anyone rode both and have opinions on the matter and whatever else I may not be thinking about? I know I will get worse gas mileage and insurance will be higher but thats cool.
So the 600RR would still be in the family and I would get to play in both worlds. Will my plan actually happen? Good Question wish I knew :???:

·
Administrator
51,143 Posts
pm mtc he is a member who had the 600RR
and sold it and now rides the 1000RR

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Actually believe it or not the gas mileage is about the same between the two. I had a chance to ride a friends 1krr and it is more comfortable than the 6 but slower to turn in. The power delivery is very smooth so you don't have to worry about spinning in turn as long as you are gentle. I like the feel of the 1k better but I'm not sure I'm ready to own one as of yet. Best part is they have a steering damper stock which is nice.

Other than that I only got to ride it about 30 miles, so my input is limited.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I recently rode my buddy's stock 1000rr, including factory suspension settings -- I weigh 210 in gym clothes so it's undersprung for me.

Anyways, the 1000rr was a lot smoother than the 6 and was deceptively fast -- linear and very smooth power delivery. It was also a lot more nimble than I expected it to be. I did indeed feel the weight difference, though it wasn't that significant. However, I <i>really</i> felt the difference when I got <i>back</i> on the 6. Again, not much like the RC51 but noticeable. I found it "odd" that unless I got my body off of the bike, it didn't feel "right".

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Wazzzuup Moe! How ya doing?

Bull, I went from the 600rr to the 1000rr last April, and I`m damn glad I did. Not to knock the 600, I loved my 600, but there is alot to love about the 1000. Let me start by saying that I`m 6'2" and 220lbs. so I fit better on the slightly longer 1000, not that I wasn`t ok on the 600 but the 1000 does fit me better.
Now then, lets get down to it. The suspension is just plain better on the 1000, the inverted fork and the radial mount brakes are a very noticeable improvement. The rear shock is also an improvement. I have the Stones on mine and they stick and wear well. Where the 600 with the Michelins on it sticks nicely, the Stones on the 1000 stick better (and leave nice black marks on the road). The turn in requires more effort, but lets not forget the steering damper, it works very well at the expense of higher effort at speed, not a big prob for a 6'2" 220lbs. guy, and its only a small adjustment. The 1000 feels better when leaned over, especially at full lean. Grip and stability are improved over the 600. You really dont notice the extra pounds that much, I remember the day I picked my 1000 up, I couldn`t believe how nimble if felt for a 1000. Not as qiuck on left to right transitions, but I dont have a problem with some extra effort when traded off for a more stable chassis. I was impressed with how Honda kept the bike close to the 600 as far as the handling goes while giving it still more potential. I`ve actually been more aggressive on the 1000 than the 600. The power and torque output is on a whole other level. The 1000 isn`t a wheelie machine, but all you have to do is open the throttle in 1st and you can easily lift the front 6 inches and keep it there all the way to 90mph. Its very controllable and wont wheelie if you dont want to, not like some other open classers. The power is very smooth and deceptive, its easy to find yourself going VERY fast in a VERY short amount of time. Power while leaned way over( scraping pegs) is also very linear and controllable, not the expert only monster many people like to make a liter bike out to be. Want to spin up the rear wheel while leaned over in third at 100mph???? she`ll do it gladly. Dont want that???? she`ll take the same corner at the same speed and give you the feedback needed to prevent spinning up the rear. Honda has really made a great package here, you can get what you want when you want without having to be on the same skill level as Freddie Spencer or Vale Rossi.

This bike can be a real ticket machine if your not careful, much more so than the 600rr. My insurance doubled to $1400 a year for full coverage, but dont forget, here in Jersey the state gov allows insurance companies to rape cagers and bikers alike.

To sum up, I loved my 600rr alot, but the 1000 is like the 600rr but with a JATO rocket strapped to the back.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Oh yea, one more thing.... I mentioned being more aggressive on the 1000, but thats kind of misleading. This is kind of backwards thinking but.... I`ve also found its easier to ride at normal street speeds on the 1000 and not get into racer wanna be mode. All that extra torque from the 1000 somehow makes it actually easier to resist the temptation to start winding it out all the time. You have to ride one for a couple of days to know what I`m talking about here.

·
Registered
881 Posts
It's probably your common senses kicking in mtc hard time. Nobody really needs a 1000. It's just that you respect it more knowing the potention of the bike. And the ones that don't know it, well, let's just say the bike probably has a few good rashes.

·
Registered
8,498 Posts
I rode my buddy's 1000rr once...and it was damn fun. I was really liking the extra torque....

It was lots of fun...

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have nothing to contribute to your question - but thanks to MTC for replying. Answered a lot of questions I had about the 1000RR as well. Respect being to the larger cc's of course - buddy who owns the 1000RR agreed with MTC. I'm just waiting on saddle time... :D

Hopefully next year... (fingers crossed). :D

·
Registered
48 Posts
yeah, i went from a 600 to a 1krr and i love it. i miss the 6 in the canyons, the 1k's front wheel just doesnt feel as planted as the 6 and i was havin such a good time ridin til yesterday when a lady made a lane change into me on pch and there went my baby. i hope her insurance is gonna take care of it cause im way bummed.

·
Registered
10 Posts
booRR said:
It's probably your common senses kicking in mtc hard time. Nobody really needs a 1000. It's just that you respect it more knowing the potention of the bike. And the ones that don't know it, well, let's just say the bike probably has a few good rashes.
I have to agree with booRR, you have to respect the bike more. I used to ride a 600rr and switched to 1krr, damn that bike is much faster and harder to turn than the 600. Just looked what happened to my bike, http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=5299248&uid=2621006 .
Just be extra careful with the 1000. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I have to agree with booRR, you have to respect the bike more. I used to ride a 600rr and switched to 1krr, damn that bike is much faster and harder to turn than the 600. Just looked what happened to my bike, http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=5299248&uid=2621006 .
Just be extra careful with the 1000. Good luck.
damn dude, you really jacked that bike... :neutral: that really sucks man... did you make it out ok? that's really all that matters 'cause a bike can be replaced, ya know. hope she gets fixed soon, be careful with that throttle!! :bitchslap: ;-)

·
Registered
192 Posts
Be sure to let us know how your plan works out Bull :mrgreen: goodluck! Sorry to hear about your bike dc5, hope you get everything fixed soon

Mike

·
Registered
605 Posts
Surely the whole point of having a 600 is that you have to RIDE it, Any fool can have a litre bike and pull the throttle....................

Learn to ride a 600 WELL !! Most of us will never see the limits of our bikes !!

Depends what your after...........................

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Learn to ride a 600 WELL !! Most of us will never see the limits of our bikes !!
there have been other posts about this, and it turns out pretty much no one really thinks they have even reached their bikes limit! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
99 Posts
Though it is not completely the same, I have an 04 600rr and my buddy has an 01 929rr. He had issues with the turn in on the 929 because it had a 190 rear tire. Recently he put a 180 on the rear and that has made a *huge* difference in the handling. Before putting the 180 on the 929, I didn't like ridiing it, I much prefered my 600rr. I could easily smoke him in the twisties on the 600. Now the 929 is a blast to ride and he can keep up with me in the twisties. I highly recommend replacing that fat 190 with a 180 if you are interested in improving the handling and flickablility of the 1000rr.
I'm hoping next fall to do something similar and get my wife riding the 600rr and picking up a 1000rr for myself. :D
Hope this helps a little.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks MTC and everyone else for all the info. I am still interested in getting one and will try to soon. If I am able to pull my plan off right I will get to keep my 600 and be happy no matter what kind of riding I want to do.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Surely the whole point of having a 600 is that you have to RIDE it, Any fool can have a litre bike and pull the throttle....................

Depends what your after...........................
Been there and done that with 500 to 600 cc bikes, and I agree with your point completely. But dont think that riding a liter bike is just a matter of turning the throttle.... doing just that is what makes a liter bike harder to ride correctly. Dont think that because it has more power that the finer points of riding are thrown out the window. Just the opposite, things like braking become MUCH more important do to the speed a 1000 can generate. You have to be much sharper with turn in and throttle control due to the speed and power. There are alot of riders that buy a 1000 cause its a 1000, those are the ones that give 1000 riders a bad rap. But if you know what your doing and can keep your head, its one hell of a machine.

I`ve always been a fan of smaller displacement bikes for the reason you stated, but if you want to ride a 1000 hard, you better be able to up your game compared to a 600. Those that cant wind up afraid of the bike, those that can know what I`m talking about here.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I do agree with you, I have friends that ride RSV R's and Blades, ZX10's etc, I can keep up with them no probs (In fact i have a friend with a VFR 800 and NONE of us can keep up with him !!)

My point was that just upgrading to a litre bike for the sake of it is pointless, if you are regulary riding the ass of a 600 and riding well, then i completly understand upgrading to a litre bike, but learn to ride a 600 well in the first place was my point ;-) As you say, you will benefit immensley when getting a litre bike.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
yea, it's all in how you ride. if you know how to ride better than the guy next to you on his 1000, he'll soon be the guy BEHIND you on the 1000 ;-)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts