Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 600rr that I love, but I hate pulling up to 954rrs and thinking that their bikes are superior :cry: . Has anyone here ridden Both 600 and the 1000rr that could give me a comparison of egros and power? I love the handling of my RR but I could use alittle more power. Me and my wife ride all the time, and I get sick of having to REALLY use the clutch to start off. In town, this is a pretty big struggle for me. It's just not comfy! But on the other hand, I don't want a bike that will have me looking at the sky when I punch it in 4th gear either. Just how powerful is the 1000rr anyways. I know the #'s, but how is it to actually RIDE!!

·
Registered
230 Posts
I dont have the anwer for you, but I can tell you to take your 600 to the canyons and then come back and say its not enough. Anyone can run in a straight line stop light to stop light, but thats NOT riding. Hit some twisties and actually learn to ride what you have. Trust me its enough.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
eh.. I know that's the "right" answer, and that even this 600 is more than anough bike for almost anyone, but I live in iowa... So if you show me the canyons,LOL, then I'll keep it!

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
Why not considering a gear change before spending all that extra $ if you're just looking for a little more umph from the get go.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
You could also change the gearing some to reduce the amount of clutch work required to launch while 2 up. I wish I could give you a riding impression of the 1000RR, but my bank account prevents that. :D

Edit: GA RR, you beat me to it.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I'm gonna go out on a limb here, I never raced my 600RR or know of people who have or looked it up, but I would guess its a solid high 11s bike with the average weight of a good rider on it. Correct me if I'm wrong cuz I saw a video of a 540rwhp cobra getting slaughter by an F4i with just a slip on and 1 tooth down sprocket and I would expect the RR to be around that at the least. And the Cobra would run definate 10s at the track. The vid showed from a stop and a roll and the F4i got the cobra. . .

But anyways, enough of that. . . if you ask me, the 600s of today are plenty fast for the street. Granted bikes are in a league of their own, but fast is still fast and there will ALWAYS be someone faster.

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
matt89 said:
eh.. I know that's the "right" answer, and that even this 600 is more than anough bike for almost anyone, but I live in iowa... So if you show me the canyons,LOL, then I'll keep it!
Didn't look at where you are. I've yet to ride a 1000RR so I can't give you any info on that. But as much as I hate to say it, if it was me out there with no twisties I'd go for a more touring oriented bike that had some power since that's really the only fun thing in the straights. If you're trying to stay wtih a sportbike, I'd suggest something like a Busa....pretty confortable to ride for awhile, doesn't corner real well, but that's not an issue for you.

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
Hot Rod said:
I'm gonna go out on a limb here, I never raced my 600RR or know of people who have or looked it up, but I would guess its a solid high 11s bike with the average weight of a good rider on it. Correct me if I'm wrong cuz I saw a video of a 540rwhp cobra getting slaughter by an F4i with just a slip on and 1 tooth down sprocket and I would expect the RR to be around that at the least. And the Cobra would run definate 10s at the track. The vid showed from a stop and a roll and the F4i got the cobra. . .

But anyways, enough of that. . . if you ask me, the 600s of today are plenty fast for the street. Granted bikes are in a league of their own, but fast is still fast and there will ALWAYS be someone faster.
With a pro rider the 600RR will run high 10s in stock form. With a gear change and 520 conversion, I've done mid 10s and I'm not even that great at launching. Still won't touch a liter bike though in the straights....especially from a roll on.

·
Registered
230 Posts
matt89 said:
So if you show me the canyons,LOL, then I'll keep it!
NO CANYONS... Sorry man I feel for ya. :nono:

·
Registered
341 Posts
I had a 954 and it had alot more power, and was a little more comfortable, but now I love my 600rr. my wife liked the 954 better for her though. The actual quarter mile times and top speed might not be that far off from each other, but when you ride it it is a big difference between the two.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
rashmaster said:
I had a 954 and it had alot more power, and was a little more comfortable, but now I love my 600rr. my wife liked the 954 better for her though. The actual quarter mile times and top speed might not be that far off from each other, but when you ride it it is a big difference between the two.
I would agree with that. I have a 600RR and my brother has a 954 and they difference is huge. The 954 feels like a sport touring bike compared to the 600 IMO. I like the 600 better because you feel like you're on top of the bike more and its more controlable.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
I have both a 600rr and a 1000rr, and to be quite honest unless I decide to start racing at the track, I will probably sell the 600.

When I bough my 600rr it was a toss-up between it, and a 954. The 600rr won because of attributes that the 954 did not have (dual-stage FI, Undertail Exhaust), and the 1000rr was not available at the time.

The 1000 is nominally bigger than the 600rr in girdth, but not in length. It's a hair heavier in the turns, and darting in and out of traffic, but ever so slightly. Transitioning from the 600 to the 1000 only took a couple hours, and I was riding just as fast and doing all the same stuff on the 1000. I have not taken either the 600 or the 1000 to the track, so I cannot speak to the difference there. On mountain twisties though, the 1000 is just as nimble in corners, and has mad torque for pulling out of them. Power delivery is smooth (almost too smooth), and the only time the front wants to come up is when you get on it in first (and a little in second). Posture on the 1000rr is identical (if not a hair more agressive) than the 600... definitely more agressive than the 954.

I'm not here to bash 600s, and as an owner I can say that it's a great bike. That said, I probably won't be logging too many more hours on the 600 now that the 1000 is in the garage (sorry!). Price difference between the 2 is about $2500.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Hot Rod, I saw that vid, the only time the Cobra won... is when the Cobra went in 4th or 5th or whatever, and the bike was in 6th, but, every other time... the bike OWNED the car, even up to 160mph

·
Please Excuse me, I've been drinking again.
4,452 Posts
Meddie600RR said:
rashmaster said:
I would agree with that. I have a 600RR and my brother has a 954 and they difference is huge. The 954 feels like a sport touring bike compared to the 600 IMO. I like the 600 better because you feel like you're on top of the bike more and its more controlable.

...coming from a kid who's only ridden his 600RR in parking lots...

I have a 954RR, and my bro (above) has a 600RR...they're completely different bikes...when I first rode the 600RR, I was convinced that it was the most amazing bike I had ever ridden, and I was 'bout ready to sell my 954 to buy one. After a couple weeks of riding, I remembered why I wanted a liter bike in the first place. I don't ride any twisties, or any of that jazz...I like the power the 954 gives me...if I were more race-oriented, I would want a 600...but I'm not, racing's too rich for my blood...and I just really like the extra "umph" I get from the 954. I really want a 1000RR...soo bad.

·
Registered
127 Posts
LtcOliverNorth said:
I have both a 600rr and a 1000rr, and to be quite honest unless I decide to start racing at the track, I will probably sell the 600.

When I bough my 600rr it was a toss-up between it, and a 954. The 600rr won because of attributes that the 954 did not have (dual-stage FI, Undertail Exhaust), and the 1000rr was not available at the time.

The 1000 is nominally bigger than the 600rr in girdth, but not in length. It's a hair heavier in the turns, and darting in and out of traffic, but ever so slightly. Transitioning from the 600 to the 1000 only took a couple hours, and I was riding just as fast and doing all the same stuff on the 1000. I have not taken either the 600 or the 1000 to the track, so I cannot speak to the difference there. On mountain twisties though, the 1000 is just as nimble in corners, and has mad torque for pulling out of them. Power delivery is smooth (almost too smooth), and the only time the front wants to come up is when you get on it in first (and a little in second). Posture on the 1000rr is identical (if not a hair more agressive) than the 600... definitely more agressive than the 954.

I'm not here to bash 600s, and as an owner I can say that it's a great bike. That said, I probably won't be logging too many more hours on the 600 now that the 1000 is in the garage (sorry!). Price difference between the 2 is about $2500.
I have to agree with Ollie here. I have both bikes and have put a couple hundred miles on the 1000rr. I took it through some good twisties today and pushed it fairly hard, though Im still breaking it in. The reach to the bars is just slightly farther on the 1000rr and I feel a bit more pressure on my wrists. It does only take a couple of hours to get use to it, and it felt like I was riding the 600 today. I love the 600rr and like some things about it more than the 1000rr. Overall though if I had to choose one of the 2 I would take the 1000rr hands down, especially if your riding 2 up. It's also much nicer when your just cruising at 60-80 MPH because your rpm will be 2-3k lower and there is less buzz. I've had a few posts on here about my 600rr being a lemon (electrical problems) and it has been sitting at the shop for almost a month straight. I may be coming into a bundle of money so I may call off the dogs (attorney) and let honda fix the bike because I do love the 600 and would like to keep both. My advice for you would be to get the 1000rr. I hit it hard yesterday in 2nd gear from about 50 mph and the front wheel did rise up :lol2: but I havent pushed it any harder than that due to break it. Doesn't feel like it will want to be wheelie crazy though, and the reviews seem to say the same. good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
I went from riding liter bikes for the last 5 years back to a 600cc bike. (929 & ZX9R)

Liter bike are great for riding the "beltway" and "drag strips." :roll: But 600cc bikes are better on the "track" and "twisties." If you look at all the really fast riders, they are riding 600cc or V twin bikes. :mrgreen:

H

·
0 Posts
I have the 600rr and I have ridden the 654, R1, and ZX-9.....that said

I do like the extra power of the larger bikes....but with some slight mods...some gearing you can get the extra low end torque and you want....personally I think that the larger bikes are useless for where I ride...i am on mostly back country roads with a lot of twists and some straights....i rise with a buddy on an r1 and i am able to stay right with him on the straights.... plus the other thing keeping me off the larger bikes is the insurance....my 600rr is $800/year....the larger bikes would be $1800/year....

·
Registered
544 Posts
if i were you i would sell everything you own and by a Suzuki Gz-250!!! they have more power than valentino Rossi's Rc-211 !!!!!!!!!

im an idiot! :bitchslap:

·
Registered
8,498 Posts
matt89 said:
what part of Iowa are you in?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts