Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And I'm afraid to say, the R6 looks miiiighty impressive! I watched a round of our national superbikes and supersports today at a local track, Zwartkops. Turn 2 is a hairpin right-hander and you come in pretty hot and get on the brakes very hard. The R6s were just banging down the gears and looking really stable and smooth, whereas the slipper-clutch-less 600RRs were hopping their rear-wheels and getting really squirrelly. +1 for the R6! Power-wise there didn't seem to be much in it, but that handling with the slipper clutch really impressed me!

So yeah, after seeing it in action I think it'll take a lot (see Ten Kate!) to beat the R6 on the track! What'll Honda do in 2007? Not sure, but I bet it has a slipper clutch! ;)

·
Registered
906 Posts
Hey, I think my buddy Graeme rode at Zwartkops this weekend on one of those R6's you're talkin about! He and Justin ride for team "Evil Shenanigans" ( http://www.shenanigans.co.za/ ). Blimmin nice looking bike! Was really jealous when he came to show it to me! But then I got my CBR...

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ja, I saw them there. Shame, they were trying to source wets, and they didn't know the track so they were behind a bit. Relatively, of course, cos they're still quicker than I am! ;)

·
Registered
799 Posts
There's no comparison at the club level either, the R6 is dominant. There aren't that many of them yet, but it's only a matter of time. Honda underestimated the competition with the last RR, I hope they really step up with a racebike this time.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I'm interested to see what is coming out for the '07 season from Honda. They are supposed to have some good stuff in the works. And I'll be looking for a strong contigency plan as well. I hope Honda also steps it up in that area. Their roadracing contingecy is insulting compared to their offroad program as well as other manufacturers roadrace programs.

I'm not too worried about the new R6. It's anemic up to 11k from what I've been told first hand by people racing them. It is a fast bike though and in the right hands will do well, but the same goes for the RR. Gotta have it between the ears and legs regardless of what youre riding.

·
Registered
487 Posts
proze said:
And I'm afraid to say, the R6 looks miiiighty impressive! I watched a round of our national superbikes and supersports today at a local track, Zwartkops. Turn 2 is a hairpin right-hander and you come in pretty hot and get on the brakes very hard. The R6s were just banging down the gears and looking really stable and smooth, whereas the slipper-clutch-less 600RRs were hopping their rear-wheels and getting really squirrelly. +1 for the R6! Power-wise there didn't seem to be much in it, but that handling with the slipper clutch really impressed me!

So yeah, after seeing it in action I think it'll take a lot (see Ten Kate!) to beat the R6 on the track! What'll Honda do in 2007? Not sure, but I bet it has a slipper clutch! ;)

I would say that's a +1 for the slipper clutch not the R6.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fair enough, but many production class rules don't allow the addition of things like slippers to bikes, so then it really does become +1 for the R6! Yup, 2007 is going to be interesting!

·
Registered
6,774 Posts
so if a class doesn't allow you to run a slipper clutch what about the bikes that have them as stock? are they still allowed?

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Supersport is based upon production engines "as they come" with the exception of cam timing and base tuning.

Superbike is whatever, run what ya brung. If I added a slipper clutch to my RR and I won or took a position in a supersport class and someone protested me only for the tech inspectors to find the slipper clutch, I would be DQ'd. And you also get branded as a cheater and that wil follow you and they'll opssibly want to tear you down more often for inspection after doing well.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yup, you can run what the manufacturer blessed you with, allowing for a few mods. Other than that the rules are pretty strict!

N

·
0 Posts
Well, according to Jeff Tigert (who tests for Honda), he said to wait for the 2007 CBR600RR. Where is that link CV posted? It was a good one.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Does anyone have any info on the 2007 model?

·
Registered
429 Posts
Proze: have you recovered from the cold yet? Apparently it was the coldest day we've had in over 2 years! I'm still not conviced that the slipper clutch makes that much of a difference in terms of how quickly the rider can actually slow the bike down. The slipper clutch may make it smoother but is it making a really big difference in raw distance?

Onedwn5up: Just one correction for the South African rules which you obviously wouldn't know - in our superstocks we're not even allowed to change cam timing, we are however allowed to run a power commander but we aren't allowed to run different velocity stacks.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I rode a bone stock '06 R6 at LVMS and Willow's big track and was putting down quicker times than on my RR, and was still taking it kind of easy because I wasn't 100% familiar with the bike, nor was it mine. They are an awesome bike.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I've gotten a better drive consistently out of corners last week when following a new R6. Once the rider saw my front wheel he would just choose to leave me in the dust. I got him on the brakes and in the corner, but he would leave me on power alone. They are quick, but I really think the rider will make the difference even though the R6 is so fast. Unless of course you are pro.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts