Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK i have to post this cuz ive been thinking about it since i got my bike and broke it in last week on the freeway going to work. First i love the RR but if i could have it my way i would change only one thing, 6th gear for freeway driving. When i was cruising about 80ish and watching the rpms over 7k i was wishing i could have a 6th that was higher for cruising. I know the RR has the power to cruise @85 or so with the rpms down around 5k and pull it fine and mostly get that prescious MPG over 40 for as long as you want. Id bet if they were like that they would prolly get 45mpg on the freeways. I think this would be perfect for alot of RR owners that use their bike to commute on the week and play on the weekends, cuz really if you are topped out in 5th gear and you NEED to shift into 6th then well your just plain going to fast for the streets. I dont know what speed it will do pinned in 5th but im guessing its around 150mph. If your going that fast on the streets then you need to just take it to the track. No real purpous for this just wanted to see what alot of you freeway work cruisers think about it, i think it would make the RR better than about any bike out there for lets say "dual purpous" street bike having the best of both worlds!! and if i can patend this with Honda im gonna name it the CBR600RS for Racing Street LOL

·
Registered
333 Posts
If your worried about revs and fuel con the rr is simply not for you.

The bike your after is a F4i

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I drove 80 miles on the freeway at 70mph over the weekend, and when we stopped, I topped off my tank with 1.59 gallons... 50.3 mpg The only gripe I had was at that speed, the bike vibrates a little more, and my butt and right foot got numb. Then I rode in a 40 mile bike run, and then 80 miles back home on the freeway. I normally don't ride that long, so I iwas hurtin' :)

I somewhat agree that 6th should be a little taller, but it is not a touring bike, it is a racing bike. You want a cruiser, buy one. ;)

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
I see what he means though. 6th gear is pretty much only used on the freeway anyways, might as well make it a little taller.

·
Macho Office Monkey
3,132 Posts
When you actually put a bit of thought into how the higher reving engine works....Say your at 8,000 rpms at 75mph (hypathetically, not sure what it is exactly) your only about half way between idle and 15,000RPM redline. Now think of a car...My autombile redlines at around 6,000RPMS when I am going 75mph my rpms are around 3500, its a small engine but still. When you look at it like this 8000RPMS at 75mph is not bad considering the fact it redlines at 15,000!!! It is a bit noicey and such but how low do you want the rpms? When your r's are lower than 5500 on an RR there is not that much power. I say the engineering is dead on for these bikes. Sorry to totally disagree but its not a crusier boys

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Im not saying i want a cruiser or that a RR isnt for me you dorks im saying like CBR/CUT stated 6th is for freeway only. And you have plenty of power @5000 or 5500 RPMs that you could cruise 80+ mph no problem and get great fuel economy, then if you need to you down shift, like almost everyone does already, to pass SO theres no difference in how you ride the bike you just get to roll down the freeway and get the mileage like bieng on a 55 MPH surface street around town SO i dont need a F4i TY though, LMAO talking about a RR.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts