Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my first ticket today. The cop wouldn't let me go. I think that they were trying to get some money to meet their dept. budget.

WHAT CAN I DO TO GET RID OF THE TICKET???

·
Administrator
51,143 Posts
do the traffic school will be more money but chaeper in the long run cause
you wont have any points on your license at least that is the case in FLORIDA the lone star state might be different so just look into it and good luck :cool:

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got a 90+ in a 55 2 weeks ago
Is that reckless driving??? Thats 35 miles over the speed limit! you have to take the course mabbottusmc suggests. I'm going to take that class, it is the second time someone tells me to.

·
Registered
504 Posts
me too

I got one like a month ago.
51 in a 35...cop felt bad for me after a while. Told me to plead not guilty and show up at court and talk to him in the hall before we go in...
Everyones telling me he's not gonna show or drop it to a non-point violation.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If he felt bad, why in the world did he give you a ticket? They know that the more tickets they give the more $$$ for overtime they have.

·
Registered
161 Posts
it aint wreckless if everybody was doin 10 over
exactly what i got (first and only ticket) nobody was doin 55. i was going
about 5 mph over the next guy. cop on bike looked way too excited to come get me.
pulls up, starts talkin to me about the bike. anyway...
how much is it gonna cost?
might be worth fighting. mine was $53, costs more to miss work for court

·
Registered
504 Posts
answer

r_mojo1 said:
If he felt bad, why in the world did he give you a ticket? They know that the more tickets they give the more $$$ for overtime they have.
Cause when he first pulled me over I was nervous...wasnt sure I had my credentials....As I shuffled around to get them I just handed them to him and he took off before I could plead my case...He came back with a ticket and I said "Damn, I really cant afford pts on my license, it's clean, I just had a kid and the hike in insurance isnt gonna help."
Which isnt a lie. We talked for a little after that and he joked saying.."man, you didnt even see me, I saw you come speeding around that corner"
cool guy..

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just read the back of the ticket. This is what it says:

" You may be able to require that this charge be dismissed by taking a driving safety course. However, you will lose that right if you do not provide written notice to the court on or before your appearance date of your desire to do so"

My brother told me that the safety course is easy as hell. They just make you watch safy videos.
:roll:

·
Registered
584 Posts
Yes this is true. I am originally from Tx and I did it and it got rid of mine. My mom had to do it as well. You could also plead for judgment or deffered ajudication. You pay the fine and then the ticket is suspended fro 6 months, if you don't get another, its like it never existed. If you do, then they both automatically hit your license.

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
Pick your poison

You can do one of two things (Beside just paying).
1) Launch a discovery for the cops documents. Your asking the court for all of his/her certifications for radar/laser training, the radar/laser gun itself and others. If you find that for instance the gun hasn't been calibrated, then you petition the court to dismiss the case. However, if this fails and all the documents check out, then you've tipped your hand that your fighting the ticket.

2) Don't pay the ticket or launch a discovery and just show up for court. If the cop isn't there the case is dismissed. If he/she is there put them on the stand and question them about the whole incident. Don't try to belittle or disrespect them in ANY way. State your case and make your points respectfully. All you need to do is show a sliver of doubt to the court and the case is dismissed. However, if you fail then you pay additional court cost.

If this sounds like too much trouble....then pull out your check book, cough up the money, and pay it! You got caught!

antpRR, I can see how you can make that mistake. I've been riding mine for about 2k miles and still find it really hard to go that slow consistently. I found that if I just put it in 2nd and hold my RPM steady I'm fine. I find it harder on the interstate where there's a lot of wind and you really can't hear the bike as well (Stock Pipe). I came VERY close the past few weeks going down to my buddys to ride. FHP are everywhere on I-75 south of Tampa. Be careful out there...

Tim

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
What about Florida??

slodsm said:
Yes this is true. I am originally from Tx and I did it and it got rid of mine. My mom had to do it as well. You could also plead for judgment or deffered ajudication. You pay the fine and then the ticket is suspended fro 6 months, if you don't get another, its like it never existed. If you do, then they both automatically hit your license.

Does anyone know if this is on the books in FLorida??

·
Registered
122 Posts
I got a ticket in January for doing 70 in a 55.

Always get the initial extention. Just call the court and they will give you a 45 day extention, for no reason.

If you qualify for traffic school, I say do that, you never know what will happen if you fight it.

If you do not qualify for traffic school, fight the ticket through the mail, it is called a trial by declaration. You submit your side of the through mail and if the cop does not submit his stuff your ticket is dismissed. Cops get overtime for going to court to testify against you, but they get nothing for submitting the papers.

Also if you lose your case you can get an automatic appeal and see if the cop shows up in court.

Only bad part is you have to pay ahead of time.

The ticket from January was just dismissed last month for lack of prosecution, my refund check will come in 30-60 days.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you do not qualify for traffic school, fight the ticket through the mail, it is called a trial by declaration. You submit your side of the through mail and if the cop does not submit his stuff your ticket is dismissed. Cops get overtime for going to court to testify against you, but they get nothing for submitting the papers
interesting :bounce: I don't think this cop is going to go the extra mile writing his story. But in the other hand, I don't want to fight him because he works in the same organization I do, and he may get me some other time and come hard on me this time...

What I will do is call them for the extension like you said, then I will try to take the class. If I cannot take the class for some reason, I will go to cout to talk to the Judge, hopefully this time the cop will not show up. I refuse to pay the ticket. The money goes back to their pockets... :-x

·
Registered
118 Posts
:lol2:

I know of a friend of a friend (2 guys actually) that both got tickets for doin' 139 in a 50 one night. hahahahah

Only one of 'em got a ticket, though, because he had a bad attitude, or somethin'....

When they went to court over it, the judge just threw it out 'cause she said something like "No, there's just no way.... there's no way they could afford this." hahahahah

·
Registered
49 Posts
just get a lawyer and pay him $80.... they will keep posponing (spell check?) the court date until the cop decides not to show up and they dismiss the ticket. I am doing that for a speeding ticket i got in my spec-v.

·
Administrator
51,143 Posts
Originally posted by slodsm:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Does anyone know if this is on the books in FLorida?? NO this does not apply in FLORIDA :roll:

·
Registered
812 Posts
If you have the cash, get a lawyer.

They can usually get the points reduced or eliminated.

Get one from the town where you got the ticket for best results.

Don't wait and try and fight the last ticket when you are about to lose your license. Fight each one.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts