Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The owners manual recommends at least 86 octane gas. This sounds really low considering the bike's compression ratio. What octane are you guys running?

·
Registered
301 Posts
you can run anything 86 and higher, but as you said, wouldn't you want to ward off any chances of detonation?! Put 93 in if you can! Fuel with up to 10% ethanol CAN be run as well, however DO NOT STORE it with any sort of ethanol in the tank because over a short period of time, the alcohol in it will evaporate and leave varnish in the tank and clog fuel lines, injectors, the list goes on and on!

·
Registered
336 Posts
93 octane is pretty much overkill. All you are doing is wasting your money if you're not running the correct octane. Start at the lowest and if you have any knocking problems go up one grade. I think the concensus is running mid-grade 89 octane except for those guys in the high altitudes who can run the super cheap stuff. Also, I think if you do a search you'll find this topic has been well covered...I just felt like posting cuz I'm bored

·
Administrator
51,144 Posts
use 89 you wont have any problems i switched from 93 and i gained around 5 to 8 miles per tank

V

·
0 Posts
I run regular unleaded gas. Its cheaper and saves me money with today's gas prices. I am saving about 2 bucks each time I fill up! I am never going to was my money on midgrade or premium ever again.

jk.... I use 89 and it works just fine.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I actually had a knocking sound when I ran the super cheap stuff but that might have something to do with have the slip on with no pcIII.

·
Administrator
51,144 Posts
no i do not think so (super cheap = 86 octane ) if that was the case try using 89 octane and see what happens

·
Registered
83 Posts
:bitchplz: You heard knocking over the pipe? I doubt it!!!!

If you read anything about race gas....lower octane stuff makes more power!!!

High octance gas just adds anti-knock agents into the mix!!! There is NO WAY Honda would say 86 if knock occurred!!!!

:salute:

U

·
0 Posts
Been covered many times. If it's not turbo or supercharged it was designed to work with the lower octanes. 600RRluvr, that's right man, if anyone claims to hear ping over the bikes usual noises I'm raising the BS flag.

·
Registered
525 Posts
ive used regular unleaded twice. i didnt notice a difference . still prefer to use 93 though.

though there was a post once before about how much premium fuel you really get when using a line that dispenses all three grades through one hose. dont know the true amounts but i try to shy stay away from gas station that use one hose for all three grades and go to ones that have seperate lines so i definately am getting premium.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts