Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have questions on what I need to do to get started in racing and trackdays. Im planing on going to VIR to the Cornerspeed school in May. Whats next?

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
It depends...

You can start riding trackdays is the required track gear (helmet, leather suit, boots, gloves, and back protector) and your street bike. Most trackday organization on require very minimal prep (make you tape up your lights and remove your mirrors and that's it)

To start racing, you'll need to do a bit more work. The gear requirement is the same as trackdays. However the bike prep requirement is a bit more extensive. Each race club/org spell out what needs to be done to the bike in thier rulebook. You'll also be required to have a valid racing license. Different clubs have different licensing processes.

That's it for you and the bike. Other than that you just need some means of transportation. It can be a simple as loading the bike up in the bed of a pickup to as elaborate as hauling the bike in a 20' goose neck travel trailer.

Once you start getting fast during trackdays or start racing, it would be a good idea to get DOT race tires and tire warmers. You'll need the extra traction and performance once your speed increases. When you make the step start using race tires and tire warmers you'll need front and rear stands, if you don't have them already, so that you can get the bike off the ground to put the warmers on.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
If you haven't done any trackdays yet, I'd recommend getting a couple of those under your belt before making the financial commitment to race school. They can be in the thousands of dollars... But yeah, definately after you've gotten a some trackdays under your bike a race school will make you that much better of a racer...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts