Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after my wrist got healed and i fixed my bike(which i didnt ride for 3 months) i started to ride around the block to get comftarble with the bike. I noticed a few things about myself after the crash, now im extremely careful on the front brake, i slide back on the seat everytime i apply the littlest pressure to the front brake, im relying to much on the rear brake(only way i can't get thrown forward) and i grab the clutch for everything. I ride alone which i hate cause i cant ask people for advice or tips other than online. To be honest i feel as if i need to take the msf course again. Im just going to go to a few warehouses by my house and practice alot. I think im just rusty cause i cant even controll my rpm's before a corner. The only things i can think of that will help me ride better is to practice alot more and stop focusing about slamming on the front brake.

Any advice on what i should do?
any advice is welcome.

Thankx

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
fear, not, my friend.

There are stickies all over these boards. Moe (one of the mods) has taken time to post up some fundamental info for riders of ALL experience levels.

Even a track vet can learn something new every day. Riding on the street takes incredible concentration and awareness, and they get better and better with practice.

edit: so i went and scavenged the FAQ section of the board...

here's the links.
http://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=35712

http://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=53861

http://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=46242

and the main FAQ page
http://www.600rr.net/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=45

ride safe.

·
Registered
28,565 Posts
keep practicing mang. itll get better and better. take it a step at a time.
ride around the neighborhoods, to the practice spot and back. then eventually
get more seat time riding around the city streets.

you can get better by practicing like i mentioned. but riding in the city/streets will
fine tune the skills that youve developed practicing. it gives you experiences
not attainable practicing in a large lot. one step at a time mang!

i also agree with the msf...i you think itll help. then it probably will.
most gut feelings lead you in the right direction.

·
"oh, theyre real... takatas."
1,163 Posts
where are you located im sure there are people locally that wouldnt mind going on some rides with you to get back in the groove

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thankx guys i appreciate alot. Thank you Nes, i've read some of the links but its always good to refresh. I need to practice just about my braking and cornering. I cant downshift+brake if my life depended on it. In the corners my bike tends to drift outwards out of my desired line, i've heard to give it some throttle and i've also heard to slow down and lean. need to practice =).

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
I take it you crashed your bike. It takes some time after you get back on before you start to feel comfortable again. When I wrecked mine and finally got a new one, I was extremely careful for at least a month or so before I was even close to comfortable on the bike again. I would ride once in a while and then more and more until I was back to riding everyday again. you'll get it back man, don't worry about it.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
You didn't specify what the nature of your crash was, but based on your wording I can only infer that it was related to "slamming the front brake." So repeat after me, the same thing they probably taught you in MSF:

S Q U E E E E E E E E Z E

The front brakes are capable of bringing the bike to a stop very quickly and controllably, but you MUST let it ramp up from 0% to 100% in a gradual manner. It's not an on-off switch! Even in a race situation where I need to slow down the bike from 110mph to 20mph for a "busstop" corner, I'm not slamming the brakes, but rather, giving it a progressive squeeze, gradually increasing pressure to 100%. The brakes WILL stop the bike in a hurry once you reach 100%, but you have to allow it time to get there!

People often say "respect the throttle" to new riders on sportbikes, but really, you need to respect the front brakes just as much. They'll throw you on you a$$ just as quickly as the throttle will.

·
Registered
461 Posts
quasi that's good advice, very informative.

glad to hear you are riding again..it will surely take seat time and practice before you get comfortable on the bike again. the msf will surely help, and/or practice the basics on isolated streets/lots. try to go through a checklist of things you have to do in your mind and do them one by one (such as the downshift brake thing) instead of trying to do everything at once.

fear and hesitation is your enemy...be confident and execute the actions confidently and carefully. i know when i first started riding alone, i dropped the bike a lot, fell over a lot, had problems etc, so i was pretty intimidated for a while. then i got mad at myself for being intimidated so i finally had to say 'screw it' and made sure that every time i got on the bike i was mentally focused with a checklist of actions to take while riding, and stuff to keep track of, basically keeping my emotions in check and focusing on the mental part, etc etc....

a big part of starting to ride again is mental, and i applaud you for getting back on the bike -- a step in the right direction! just try to keep the fear/intimidation and emotions in check. trust the bike and be confident when going into the turn, be confident that you have done all the steps on your checklist before going into the turn, etc. you have to commit to it..the bike will sense any hesitation :) good luck.

·
Registered
14,362 Posts
Jtr32s said:
In the corners my bike tends to drift outwards out of my desired line, i've heard to give it some throttle and i've also heard to slow down and lean. need to practice =).
Are you looking through the turn or at the line you're trying to keep?

·
Registered
86 Posts
it seems like you're lacking confidence not knowledge.

i guess i'll just repeat what has been told to me a few times.

- try to relax your arms, do the chicken dance while you're on the bike (i.e. flap your elbows, it should be smooth. if it's not, relax more)

- really grip solidly with your thighs, you may find something like stomp grip pads help.

- practice your braking. go find a quiet, traffic free straight road and cruise at 60 (remember, i'm in australia, that'd be 60kph) and brake (using the front only). keep braking harder and harder from the same speed until you feel uncomfortable. take a break and do it again. when you feel that you're braking as hard as you possibly can, go to a higher speed and start all over again. repeat twice wekly for a few months and you should be back to the level of confidence you used to have

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
One thing that I found that will take away the fear is alcohol... having a few drinks will take it away. The other thing you could do is practice stoppies (just baby ones) and that will help you understand the stopping power of the front end. :p

·
Registered
38 Posts
McShagger said:
One thing that I found that will take away the fear is alcohol... having a few drinks will take it away. The other thing you could do is practice stoppies (just baby ones) and that will help you understand the stopping power of the front end. :p

That's the worst advice I've ever read on a motorcycle forum.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Just keep on riding and practicing.
Set your speed WAY before entering the turns, so that all you have to do is roll on the throttle and keep it smooth.
I went down last year and my wrist, hand, fingers still feel crappy from time to time.
Riding for too long hurts, but it's worth it to be out on two (or one :biggrin:).
Wearing your gear is the best thing you can do to help build confidence.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well i might aswell just tell you guys how i crashed. I was traveling around a street circuit i made to practice when i got my bike. It is surronded by warehouses and big companies( i rode after 6pm to decrease the chance of messing with cars) and i would say it is maybe a mile and a half, the street made circuit starts off with a 40-50mph S turn then turns into a long left handed hairpin and then into a 2/4 of a mile straight where you can practice your high speed braking, after that comes a tight left hand turn and more straight for wheelies or anything, well after that comes a wide left and then another 40-50mph S turn and more straight and the last wide left turn before you start all over. When i get tired of making lefts i would do it reverse and work on my right turns. I've had scary moments on that street and i can't say that im proud of what i was doing cause i would be much happier on a track but i don't have that kind of money =/ so i just get my helmet, gloves, jacket and boots and hope for the best =D.

I was taking the last S turn when i had ran the "street circuit" around 12 times that day, all the sudden i feel my bike drifting outwards towards the side walk so i paniced and started to apply pressure on the rear break thats when i realised that my bike wasn't braking and my rear was sideways, i slammed on the front brake and thats when i got thrown forward landed helmet first then hands and after that shoulders and lets not forget the bike fallin on my back. I look back at the crash now i feel like i tired myself out from too much riding and just lost focus on a corner.

Today i woke up and was off. Put just 5 bucks to keep the tank light. I whent and found a different locations than my previous practice spot(don't think im ready for that turn yet) and practice braking with the front brake, i even adjust and tried every setting on the front brake. Practiced the rear brake and also locking up the rear to know my placement on the pressure. Got back to my counter-steering ways in no time but still running it wide in tight turns =(. Tomorrow is a different day and hopefully ill have more time to work on my gears.

I want to thank everyone for the tips and support :D.
Im kinda tired and i know its a mess but i didnt want to lose my train of though, i will try to straight it out in the morning.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Sup Jtr32s, what you just described happened to me too, but fortunately I was at the track and I ran the bike off into the grass without dropping it... What I did to get back into the 'game' was ride slower and ride often and it definitely improved my confidence with time, and after another track day I was back to normal and was able to increase my skill to the next level.

If you can afford just ONE track day with SportBikeTrackTime.com you would benefit from it so much! They offer FREE classes for novices where you get to follow instructors around the track and increase watch/mimic their moves. Also they critique you on your riding and give you GREAT pointers...you will improve greatly from just one track day I guarantee it!

P.S. If you're in the Chicago IL area let me know, there's a lot of experienced riders that can give you great pointers on how to ride.

C

·
0 Posts
Lean the bike if your going wide. The 600rr will turn way harder than you could ever get it to turn. If your leaning and you need to lean more, flop your knee down and the weight will lean the bike a little more. Always stay committed to the turn. Never pull out of it because you don't think your going to make it. If you stay committed and lean the bike in more you will make it.

Just for shits and giggles, here is the rear brake thread: http://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=43517&highlight=rear+brake

I suggest that you don't confuse yourself with the rear brake. You may make matters worse! Learn to use the front first before you start applying the rear (if you even decide to use the rear.) I recently did 3 trackdays in the A group and didn't touch the rear brake once. Nicky Hayden has an oversized rear brake rotor because he uses it so much. It's all personal prefrence. My advice to you is that you research, research, research!

·
Registered
15 Posts
its ok, stay scared as long as your mentality have to. Don't try to fight it, just use it to stay safe. Once you regain confidence the fear will subside.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts