Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the other day my buddy Kurt came up to visit from south Florida... aka the land of city traffic, straight flat roads, and no other trees other than palm trees. I took him up into the mountains (his first time) and took him on what I thought would be a pretty good tour of the Smokies

We left my house and started the day with an uber nutritious breakfast at Sonic

We filled up with gas and made our way up to the mountains. Our first stop... the hiking store at the top of Blood Mountain

Always a good view from the top

After that we made our way down the road, and up to the top of Brasstown Bald Mountain... the highest point in Georgia (4,784 ft)

We took all kinds of little twisty backroads and made our way through north Georgia and North Carolina. We stopped at the Deals Gap store for a break, then made our way up the Cherohala Skyway

Kurt has some pretty swift ninja skills, I must say!

It was getting late in the day, and we needed to find a place to sleep for the night. We made our way back to Robbinsville, NC and headed over to the Two Wheel Inn. Freakin' great little place to stay!

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

This place was awesome... they have little garages to put the bikes in so they stay safe and dry (and yes, it poured that night)

Two bikes fit perfectly!

Later on Kurt and I got hungry, so we went out to get a pizza. Closest place was in Andrews, NC, about 20 miles away. Weather was nice and clear when we left, and then this monster of a nasty storm came up out of nowhere while we were waiting for our pizza. I kid you not, this was one of the most spectacular lightning storms I've probably ever seen in my life... no joke. It started off as all just lightning up in the clouds and didn't look like an actual storm. We got riding back, and it kept getting worse and worse, now the lightning was coming down to the ground. It didn't stop, it was just a constant flashing like a strobe light, and it was blinding us it was so bright. Then it started pouring... HUGE raindrops I could easily see in my headlights. The road started steaming, which definitely didn't help any with our already poor visibility due to the rain and blinding lightning. We finally made it back to the Two Wheel Inn, completely soaked top and bottom, but the pizza held on strong! Phew!

Got up the next morning and it was beautiful outside! Although it would get very hot later on, but pretty cool in the AM. Some of our gear was still wet from the previous nights pizza adventure, so it was like having air conditioning when we first got going, hahah

Everybody else was up and heading out too... I think we were the only sportbikes there

As we made our way back over to the Deals Gap store, we made a stop at the Fontana Dam. This is where the scene from the 1993 movie "The Fugitive" was filmed, where Harrison Ford jumped out of the tunnel and into the water

Pretty sure this was a "Hey hold my beer and watch this!" moment....

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

MmmMmm... my favorite!

We then made our way to the Deals Gap Resort

Well then.... lets just take all the fun out of it

NC/TN border on the way up the Dragon... you can barely see the TN sign, it's hiding behind a low hanging tree branch

Overlook is always a beautiful view. It was still a little hazy from the morning fog

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

I didn't even see this written on the ground when I pulled in.... just a coincidence I parked right in front of it

LOL... I wonder which car group this was from

We were hungry and needed some breakfast... so we kept going past the overlook and down the other side of the dragon. Eventually, we ended up at this little place. Ended up meeting 3 other sportbike riders, all from PA, that were staying at the little 8 room motel next door. We all sat together and ate breakfast and BS'd with each other.... good times! Good food too!

I didn't eat the BBQ cuz it was still breakfast, but I'm willing to bet... it's probably pretty damn good!

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The motel that's part of the restaurant.... $35/night for double occupancy. I'm def keeping that on my list of places to stay when I'm up there! Those 3 bikes are the guys we had breakfast with. After breakfast and we went our seperate ways, we ended up running into them 3 more times in different locations before the day was over

Made a stop at the lake on the way back towards the Dragon

Next stop... this cool suspension bridge along 129 between the GAP and Robbinsville

Come on it only shakes around a little bit

LOL

The holey rocks are always cool

Freakin' HUGE pipeline that runs over the road

And that's all the pics for now. He got some better ones since he was using the badass Nikon DSLR with a wide angle lens

·
Administrator
51,152 Posts
Brilliant camera work and the description of evrey photographed scene is
awesome thanks for sharing the experience

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
great pics, looks like good times.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
damn i miss sonic!!! 8 more months til i'm back in the states...or japan...or...i don't know...they don't tell me these things :(

later

·
Registered
493 Posts
That looks like so much fun! I dig the pictures of the hydroelectric dam, the suspension bridge, and the honda love pic. Great photography. I'd love to take a trip east and do some riding around there.

Was it humid?

·
Registered
836 Posts
looks like a blast, awesome photos

·
Registered
785 Posts
i love threads like this. full of pics and a story.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
What No ODO pics I feel cheated!!! Lol JK another great thread with great descriptive pics- Wish I was a little closer to GA so we could cruise...

·
Registered
125 Posts
your wacky adventures and pictures are always appreciated. so when are you planning your next cross country adventure?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts