Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
10,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i just need u guys input on a couple of things.

1st, since i have dropped my bike due to the flimsy kickstand (see the thread on the Crash forum) [a]"http://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=68882[/a] i've had doubts and have been really iffy with the balance of my RR on the kickstand. now i'm paranoid just sitting on it while parked because the kickstand is unstable. my fellow rider Dream has a gixxer and her kickstand is so much more stable than our RR's. is anyone else having this issue? i just don't feel comfortable with the bike on its kickstand anymore when i'm sitting on it. it just feels like it might tip over with the slightest weight change.

2nd, my odometer reads approx 4200miles so i'm overdue for the next oil change. last oil change was the 600mile service. i checked the oil level and its still full but the oil is black. how bad is it that i'm over the mileage for the oilchange? i'm kinda broke at the moment but i still ride the bike around town (just came from daytona beach yesterday). should i be worried?

·
Registered
885 Posts
Todays oils are capable of going well over the said milage that the manual says but should you? No i wouldnt its ok for a few miles but i wouldent go crazy bro. If your broke now wait till you blow it up and have to get it rebuilt it costs maybe 25 bucks to do it your self bro so go out and get the stuff and change it up bro

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I've never had a problem with my kickstand, seems sturdy to me. I've even used it as a pivot and spun the bike around on it. Were you sitting on the bike when it fell? Maybe the asphault was really hot and sunk into the pavement making the bike feel like it was tipping over.
I think your friend was just trying to make you feel better by telling you the kickstand isn't sturdy. I wouldn't sweat it.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Never heard of any one withan issue with the kickstand I do kickstand turn arounds and have never had a problem, the RR stank is anything but flimsy.

·
Overpaid South Pacific Barista overactive ADHD c
27,367 Posts
good call souper... thats wot happen to mine, tipped over on the hot ashphalt argh!!!

it did fall on the soft grass so only a few sscratches.grrrrr. i was fumming....

·
Hitz eit from z back
5,357 Posts
The only thing I don't like about the kick stand on the rr is that the base of the kick stand is kinda small, I don't think it is flimsy though. It seams stable enough to me.

I personally don't like to keep oil in the bike past 2500-3000 miles but no more than 3500, The owners manual says to change the oil at 8000 miles, But I was always told to change the oil and oil filter at 3000 miles on cars so I do the same to the bike. Some members change the oil filter every other oil change to save a few bucks but at $10 a piece why not throw a new filter on their when you change the oil, A few members take the bike all the way to the 8000 mile mark in between oil changes but IMO you shouldnt, the biggest reason is because the transmission and clutch share the oil with the engine, and the fact that the engine is revving up to 15000 rpm at times. You should be fine at 4200 miles but I would not go over 4600 miles. The clutch causes the oil to turn black and is normal on these bikes thats nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
kick stand is not flimsy. its possible the asphalt was soft from heat as mentioned above. its also possible that the pavement was just ever so slightly sloped, combined with the bike being in neutral (guessing) or in gear but not pushed against the resistance of being in gear and you could go down. You should always leave your bike in gear for that reason. Dont know if you did or not, just saying...

even at the dealer, the oil, filter and replacement drain washer only costs $32. Just change your oil yourself if you're broke.

·
Registered
14,359 Posts
I would NEVER sit on a passenger seat on a bike with a side kickstand. I have all the confidence in the world in mine. It's very sturdy.

·
Registered
28,565 Posts
the bike stand is anything but flimsy. stop sittin on the damn bike like its your
lawn chair or posing for a pic and you wont have nothing to worry about. lol.

as far as the oil goes. noone can clarify whether youre good to go or not. it all
depends on your riding habits. do you cruise and take it easy for the most part?
or do you rev and ride the hell out of the bike most of the time?
imo...you should be good for a few more hundred miles. like mentioned above...
oils these days are made to last...but at regular driving/riding. not riding it hard
all the time.

affordable oil change....
if you want good quality, reliable and fairly cheap oil...go to walmart and pick up
some Shell Rotella Synthetic (5w40) oil. a cheaper alternative to an OEM filter is the
Bosch Premium filter, Purolator PureOne or Mobil-1 M1 filters. and a 20 cent
crush washer from your local hardware store.

scroll down and youll see the part #'s for the filters. search the site, it has
some good reads also.
http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Filters.html#OilFilters

·
Registered
470 Posts
I, like the others have stated never had any problems. I too do the kickstand pivots. The only drawback that I see to the kickstand is that it is cupped along the edge. The reason I mention this is because when I was keeping my bike out side water frim rain would get in there and just sit. I put silicon in there so it would not happen. I did not want it to eventually rust out.

Also, I think you being a little to causious. I read you thread about your bike tipping. I think it was because you were sitting on the passenger seat. I sit on my bike all the time when stopped and have never had a problem. But after I started to ride my fiance on it I thought to myself I wonder what it is like to be on the back of this thing. So I sat on the back the very first thing I noticed was that the bike felt unbalanced. Almost like the front would lift if I started bouncing on it.

So what I am saying is that its not the kickstand but the circumstances that caused the bike to tip. That and the fact that it just happened and you can't stop thinking about it. I gotta say just let it go and dont worry about it. Wait till you go down and your bike is f'ed. My bike has an upper on it that is slightly cracked and the left mid has scratches. At first it bothered the hell out of me but now I feel it adds a little character. as long as it still works and I can ride I am happy. You have that "Damn my first dent mentality" we have all been there.

And as far as the oil goes think of it like this, the oil is your bike's blood. It needs to be fresh in order to work to its full potential. Change it at the recommended times or sooner and keep records of it for warranty purposes. Keep the reciepts.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I have had no problems with the bike feeling unstable but I dont sit on the back seat. I change my oil every 1500 miles, I do it myself very easy. I change it often because I take it to the track and ride the hell out of it. It will probably cost you $35 to change the oil yourself. I would start thinking about it.

·
Registered
10,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
SLAPS808 said:
the bike stand is anything but flimsy. stop sittin on the damn bike like its your
lawn chair or posing for a pic and you wont have nothing to worry about. lol.

as far as the oil goes. noone can clarify whether youre good to go or not. it all
depends on your riding habits. do you cruise and take it easy for the most part?
or do you rev and ride the hell out of the bike most of the time?
imo...you should be good for a few more hundred miles. like mentioned above...
oils these days are made to last...but at regular driving/riding. not riding it hard
all the time.

affordable oil change....
if you want good quality, reliable and fairly cheap oil...go to walmart and pick up
some Shell Rotella Synthetic (5w40) oil. a cheaper alternative to an OEM filter is the
Bosch Premium filter, Purolator PureOne or Mobil-1 M1 filters. and a 20 cent
crush washer from your local hardware store.

scroll down and youll see the part #'s for the filters. search the site, it has
some good reads also.
http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Filters.html#OilFilters
yes, it was my fault for sitting on the damn passenger seat while the bike was parked. but really it was caused by the ground being slightly inclined. i just gotta get over that "fear". but really it just doesn't feel stable to me. two of my gixxer buddies said that about the kickstand but that's just their opinion.

as with the oil, i do mostly normal daily driving with occasional stunting and high speeds. maybe 80% of the time i just ride normal and shift around 6k or so. i guess i'll go ahead and do the oil change, its a small price to pay compared to engine problems in the future. i do know how to change the oil btw i just need a stand.

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
toyotafj40s said:
sigh stop complaining. u sound like a ricer
:sign10:
Anyways, I always carry a kickstand plate to stablize my bike (got it for free at an AMA race) of course a crushed coke can works great 2...:icon_salu

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
If your kickstand feels wabbly... you may want to bring it in for a check. The RR, or any sportbike that i'm familiar with for that matter, has a kickstand that is anything BUT unstable. People place all the weight of their bike on the kickstand to pivot the bike around in a circle in a tight place. I have a feeling it was more of a inclination issue than a kickstand problem. Nonetheless, sorry, but I would have liked to see you sitting on the passenger seat and watch it drop... that crap must have been funny.

On the oil.... wow, I don't know where to begin. Getting an oil change can cost you as little as $20 if you do it yourself and use less than premium oil. Although I usually use the best I can and do it right... the point is, less expensive oil will still be FAR better than the junk you have in there now. ESPECIALLY since it's the first time since the 600 mile service.

Honestly, maybe because it's near 2am and I'm not in a great mood... but if you bought a brand new '06 RR, placing yourself in the position of being broke enough to not change the oil... you need to consider your financial status. You are screwing the engine on that bike so you can save some pocket change. It's a $9000 investment and a $20 service... you do the math.

·
Registered
10,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
got ya. i'm doing the oil change 1st thing tomorrow. i haven't ridden lately coz of the cold weather so i guess that's a good thing that i haven't put any more miles on the bike. i definitely value my investment in Honda...

·
Registered
316 Posts
So why do you need a stand to do the oil change? I don't pull anything off when I do mine...just have the kickstand on, throw a drain bucket underneath, drain the oil, then fenagle the oil filter out past the header. It took me like 15 minutes.

·
Registered
362 Posts
No issues with the kickstand whatsoever, unless I am parked on really hot blacktop. If that is the issue park on cement if you can, otherwise make a puck for the stand to sit on.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts