Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
August 2015 BOTM Winner / Domo
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
now runing but rough and dies at idle after new spark plugs

Hey guys,

hoping to get some technical help in figuring out what I did wrong. I have an 07 btw.

I installed a full akrapovic system and did the pair mod, in addition added a power commander, dont know if this matters but I also put in a woodcraft stator cover and a bmc filter.

So I started the bike for the first time and it was runing pretty rough around 1000 rpms. a few minutes past by and the bike runs even rougher and shuts down. I attempt to start it back up & she runs but is runing really rough (sounds like its not runing on all cylinders almost like a 250)

There is a smell from the exhaust tip and it smells like gasoline if that helps (rich I guess)

now the bike wont restart at all. bike cranks, gas tank is half full. before i did any of the mods bike ran perfectly fine.

any suggestions greatly appreciated :D

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
did you download the proper map for your exhaust/air filter for the power commander?

·
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
did you download the proper map for your exhaust/air filter for the power commander?
I have a pc3 so I tried the ones provided by power commander until I can bring the bike into get tuned. I tried file 127-012 which is the akrapovic system. Also put the stock map 127-001 to assess if the pc3 was a problem. same deal bike still cranks but no start :(

in the garage right now and hope to get her started so I can go for a UNSTRESSED ride ;), but that maybe wishful thinking

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
hmm, that's odd. i do know that if the PC has an issue, typically the bike wont run at all. i have talked to dynojet on the phone when i was having issues with my PC and they were very helpful. if we don't figure it out tonite, you should certainly call their support tomoro during business hours and maybe they can walk you through a trouble shoot. for now i'm stumped but there are far more knowledgable(sp?) folks on here that hopefully will give some input.

·
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
MIL light on?
fuel pump priming (should be w/ smell of gas !)

relays and fuses?

Ground from pc to batt ?

pinched fuel line or open gas cap (pinched vent line?)
what is MIL light on? only light I see before pressing start is oil light but it goes out when cranking

relay and fuses all good

fuel pump is priming I can hear it

pc is grounded.. and for all testing purposes I removed the PC3 so they're less variables to figure out and same deal no start :(

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
no start without PC3 connected? and the bike ran normally before you did the mods? perhaps you have disconnected something while you were working on it? i wonder if the bike is now flooded. hate to say it but you may want to pull a spark plug and assess it's condition. you need four things for the motor to run right:
1. fuel
2. air
3. fire
4. all at the right time/ratio

you have gas in the tank and the pump is priming. let's assume gas is not the issue. although pulling a plug and inspecting it will confirm if gas is reaching the cylinder. next is air. new filter so it's clean. are you certain you competed the pair mod correctly? i'm not completely familiar with this mod so i can't really help you there. does the pair mod change air flow? next is fire. plugs will need to be pulled to test for spark. simply put a plug in the wire and have it grounded to the frame. last time i did this i took the plug out of the right cylinder and rested the plug on my frame slider which grounded it out. then just bump the starter in low light and look for a spark. if you have fuel, air and fire, you have the wrong time or ratio. figure out which step you are missing and we can go further from there. i'm no expert, where's nico when we need him? he's like a god among mortals when it comes to troubleshooting!
if you have been cycling the fuel pump over and over perhaps the cylinders are flooded. this happened to me when my plugs were overdue for a change. i installed new plugs and bumped the starter with wide open throttle and it fired up after a hiccup and runs perfectly now. it too would not start at all. new plugs was the only problem. how many miles are on your plugs? i'm just brainstorming here, i know how frustrating this can be.

not sure about fuel injection but on a carbeurated dirt bike a flooded engine will start right up if you hold the throttle wide open while starting it

·
Registered
302 Posts
check to make sure your pc3 ground wire is connected. the symptoms you are describing sound like -- rough idle is caused by change in back pressure from the new full system so your idle needs to be adjusted up. as far as the bike cranking, fuel pump priming ect ect but wont start sounds like a pc issue, go back in and recheck your connections starting with the pc3's ground then if necessary pull the tank and check your injector connections as well as the tps sensor.

Cheers and good luck

·
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
thanks for the reply mate. I was thinking from the begining it maybe an ignition issue and possibly the spark plugs are fouled and cannot ignite the mix.

Reassessing the pc3 wire hook up the wires for the injectors were reversed... it was supposed to be hooked up 1234 but it looks like i reversed the order and hooked it up 4321 :( stupid black and white instructions.. should have followed the pc site as there color. hope this is the issue and no one else does the same. not sure if that would be the issue but now the pc3 is hooked up properly. I'm wondering if runing it in the reverse order has caused my issue. Going to pull out the spark plugs now and report back... arg this is what I wanted to avoid most next to removing the airbox all over.

indeed where is nico when you need him ;)

bike only has 878 kms so the mileage on everything is very low.

·
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ouch man hopefully you didn't damage anything.

on another note how the hell did you connect it 4 3 2 1 lol each connector is cut to length!! :(
I'm hoping nothing is damaged either :( this is a total bummer.. how you ask? try following the black and white instructions provided with the power commander.I got this unit used so not sure if they were labelled from factory.

cut to length? but if you start backwards everything hooks up fine. I just found out looking at their site where there are color [email protected]!!!! arg!!!

·
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
wow spark plugs fouled like a mofo!!!! thank goodness no detonation...pick up a new set tomo and report back :(

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
sweet, i'll bet you have it sorted with new plugs. just don't cycle pump more than necessary once new plugs are in. if it doesn't act like it'll fire up, hit starter with WOT and it should. GL

·
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hey guys so the bike is now running after I changed the spark plugs. It was on the full akrapovic tune from powercommander md 127 -012 but I changed it to stock tune 127-001 to see if it helps.

So bike can start but as soon as i start reving the bike and release the throttle the bike dies. bike can start but idles at around 1000 rpms and dies on its own unless I give throttle.

Bike is expelling black smoke from the tail pipe during load if that helps diagnosis.

did I accumalate a ton of carbon and it needs to be burned off in order to run or do I need to adjust idle or is the tune on pc causing problems?

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
i would load the map for the aftermarket parts you have and see what happens. at least it fired up. you are getting somewhere. hope you get it sorted out bro!

·
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i would load the map for the aftermarket parts you have and see what happens. at least it fired up. you are getting somewhere. hope you get it sorted out bro!

no luck with either map wonder whats up maybe a totally different map? bike idles really at 1000 rpms and when underload is blowing black smoke I think thats my problem. rich or carbon build up or possibly need to adjust idle?

NICO where r u!!! :cursin: lol

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
the idle should be between 12-1400rpm. nico was on here a bit ago. maybe PM him. i'm lost at this point. increasing the idle will just introduce more gas right? if you are already rich, you don't wanna do that. i'm just not sure.

·
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
going to disconnect the power commander and report back. I read through some ppls experience with the pc3 that were defective. this unit was used and possibly an older model which some have mentioned the pc3 were giving them issues until they got it reflashed or a new one replaced.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.