Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So last saturday was actually pretty nice out here in Wisconsin, so I finally got to take out my '09 for it's first ride and also mine, on any street bike. Now for one, it was a blast, I only went 30-40 obeying the speed limit, but damn it was fun. Second, I can't understand why everyone says these are so bad to start on. Maybe it was my cautious driving, slower speeds, or 2 years on dirt, but it definitely didn't seem as deadly and uncontrollable as everyone says. And it surely felt like it had enough power to get me where I wanted, which most people say 600s are terrible with that in the city. So could someone please shed some light on these issues?

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
its mostly when one of two things happen:
1. you get too comfortable with skills you DONT HAVE

2. when you're put into certain scenarios that you do not have the experience to handle them appropriately with.

if you really wanna find out, go take a faster ride and let your guard down for a sec... but i'd rather not see you post about how you wrecked your baby.

·
Registered
8,768 Posts
oh believe me, i don't plan on going too crazy for a long time, I just noticed it's a pretty nice ride going slow and easy
the issue is just the opposite, its what you DONT plan on

SuperSport bikes can be incredably unforgiving machines if not handled properly

i have a perfect example of what inexperience can cause ... i got cut off, went OH ****, nailed the brakes, to hard, front end INSTANTLY locked up, and INSTANTLY the bike went down, not a chance to recover

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
the issue is just the opposite, its what you DONT plan on

SuperSport bikes can be incredably unforgiving machines if not handled properly

i have a perfect example of what inexperience can cause ... i got cut off, went OH ****, nailed the brakes, to hard, front end INSTANTLY locked up, and INSTANTLY the bike went down, not a chance to recover

i remember doing something similar a while back but instead the rear lifted about 4 inches off the ground... luckly I knew better than to grab an even bigger handful of brake which would have definitely flipped the bike lol

·
Registered
84 Posts
OP just use your head. After a season you will be able to go into a dealership and pick out the ones that will eat pavement when they get a bike. It's actually pretty fun, my friend and I do it for laughs. There's a local place that has 100's of used sport bikes we go there once every other weekend. We get just close enough so we can hear the conversation between the buyer and the salesman. You wouldn't believe some of the questions these morons ask. Writing this out it's not so funny anymore it's pretty scary that they're out there.There are just some people out there that shouldn't be on 2 wheels period.

·
Registered
416 Posts
The two big things that get people in trouble are: Brakes and throttle.

These brakes will grab and stop you faster than you can say "OH F^$K!" (while going over the bars)

The quick throttle response gets you in trouble as well. I've done it myself just re-adjusting my hand on the throttle and got a little too much twist and did a little head snap. :retard:

Take the MSF. And also, if your hanging out with ppl telling you that a 600SS cant get you around:crackup:, you're hanging with the wrong crowd!

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
Some people live in areas where getting places means basically traveling in a straight line, no turns, no hills....just straight. These bikes become interesting when you hit the turns...REAL interesting! The bike is a different beast above 30-40mph and when you are leaned over.,,,otherwise it's like riding anything else.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Also it depends on the amount of traffic you were in. Living here in Phoenix, I pretty much ask myself on a daily basis how the hell people in this city have a drivers licenses at all.

Learn your brakes and learn your throttle. I have lifted the front end on mine multiple times just coming off of a light.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, I mean, I'm not trying to sound cocky or anything, but I hopped on it and rode it like it was second nature. The throttle was really twitchy but for the most part it wasn't all that bad.

·
Registered
29 Posts
"which most people say 600s are terrible with that in the city". It's so funny, if you could search this site for quotes you will find less than 5 people who make claims that the 600's are not as fast as people say, or are not as dangerous as people say etc etc. Each and every time it's someone who is brand new to sport bikes or has like 5 miles riding experience: like the guy who keeps stalling on hills because the clutch "is to catchy and the bike doesn't have as much power as expected". No dispespect meant, but I ask what bike are some of these guys riding. I, like many, know for a fact that a 250 can put you in a world of hurt very fast much less a 600. Sorry, I am just frustrated when a few newbies take a 600 for granted. It has to insult you track guys and serious enthusiests. I have not been on a track in over 20 years, still got some decent skills, and can still rock a 600RR. How is it that so many of us with years of riding experience, MSF classes, and track days under our belts ride these machines and for the most part know we won't be able to outride the limits of a 600, but folks new to the game can? Start flaming me if you want, sorry to the guy who started this fairly innocent thread, this rant is not solely directed at you. Just a little insulted when I know my Marilyn has enough fire in her to scare the bejesus outta me even after over 125,000 miles through out the years. Whew I feel better, thanks. :cruising:

·
Registered
8,768 Posts
Yeah, I mean, I'm not trying to sound cocky or anything, but I hopped on it and rode it like it was second nature. The throttle was really twitchy but for the most part it wasn't all that bad.
i did the same thing with a 01 r1, i spent 10 minutes in a parking lot before i was on the streets, they arnt hard to ride if sensible

the issue i have is how if you happen to make a mistake, they will punish you for it, if its bad enough

can you get away with it, sure, absolutely, theres plenty of people who have

but is it worth the risk? i dont think it is, hence why i now preace the start small

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
as for the 600s in the city part, I found tons of quotes in the "1000 vs 600" threads claiming that 600s have absolutely no torque to get you out of trouble, that's what I meant by that. I don't understand or agree with it because they sure feel like they do. I'm not personally saying that they don't have power or anything like that. I'm really glad I read these forums and chose a 600 over a 1000, because I was going for a liter right away. The 600 sure is enough for me, I can now honestly say I cannot imagine the power of a 1000

·
Registered
8,768 Posts
as for the 600s in the city part, I found tons of quotes in the "1000 vs 600" threads claiming that 600s have absolutely no torque to get you out of trouble, that's what I meant by that. I don't understand or agree with it because they sure feel like they do. I'm not personally saying that they don't have power or anything like that. I'm really glad I read these forums and chose a 600 over a 1000, because I was going for a liter right away. The 600 sure is enough for me, I can now honestly say I cannot imagine the power of a 1000
they are right, the 1k does have the ability to muscle through say 6th gear faster than a 600 on the highway if needed, the trick is to pay attention and not need to, or understand what may happen and be down a gear or two if you anticipate there could become an issue.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Going from a torquey little dirtbike you have the advantage of already knowing what a fistfull of throttle will do and also the advantage of knowing what it's like having the tires come out from under you. If there's one thing a dirtbike taught me it's keeping the bike up when it should have gone down haha. But really if you just putt around at 30-40 you aren't even dipping into 5% of the potential of these bikes, and really if you're just riding around the city they make some sweet 500cc scooters and supermotos... both of which are more fun at low speed. It's not that the supersports can't handle it, more that they're just not made for it. I know if I didn't live in the country I would never buy one, just a waste of money otherwise

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I do a lot of commuting about 45 miles both ways during the weekends to see my girlfriend, that's what I eventually plan on using it for, I just ride around town where the top speed limit is only 35 until I know I'm ready for the highway. And in the city is where I noticed how tame they seem

·
Registered
85 Posts
The 600 sure is enough for me, I can now honestly say I cannot imagine the power of a 1000
I, like you, have years of experience on dirt. When I began contemplating getting a super sport a few years ago I kept hearing "Get a 1000 because you will become bored with the 600 in a few months." Then I rode a 1000...it was a 2006 Raven Edition R1. I'll never forget it because that bike scared the sh!t out of me. I never pushed on it hard but you could tell there was a monster underneath you. Immediately I knew that a 600 would be waay more than enough bike for me. When I finally had the funds to get a bike I knew that my main use for it would be riding on the street. A 600 seemed like a much more logical choice just due to the fact that it is more nimble and has plenty of power for when you need/want it. Obviously everyone is different. Some people want a bike to enjoy while others want a bike to show off...I am an enthusiast of anything with a motor. I know MY limits around such objects, and I've learned the hard way that pushing them too hard too fast can get you into serious trouble. It doesn't matter if you start on a 250 or a 1300...you will always be at risk. The best advice I can give someone, whether they are learning to ride a dirtbike or streetbike, setting down in a circle track car for the first time, or simply learning to ride a bicycle is to take it slow (unless you're skydiving of course :crackup:). You are much safer learning your limits as you find them than you are learning about them when you wake up in a hospital bed. There is always pressure to be good at something immediately but it simply doesn't happen. Learning to ride and control a super sport is something that I'm sure will be never ending on my part.

That being said...You will always have those that are the best at everything the first time they do it and have no limits. They usually end up making You Tube videos about their wadded up equipment...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts