Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was at work this morning and heard on the radio about a fatal motorcycle crash not too far from where i live...and this is what the local news station have so far

May 3rd, 2006-- Des Moines police are investigating a deadly motorcycle accident that happened in the early morning hours.

Around 2:15 this morning 21-year-old Christopher Holsinger was speeding on a motorcycle in the westbound lanes of West MLK, when he crashed into the side of the MLK bridge. He was thrown from the motorcycle, over the edge of the bridge, and the impact of hitting a bridge support killed him.
i searched for him on myspace and apparently he have a '06 r6

usually theres a lot of bikers who hang out at a local bar on tuesday night, which makes me wonder if he had came from there

either way, ride responsibly guys

·
Administrator
51,143 Posts
21 years old what a shame R.I.P. CHRIS

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i found some more article

DES MOINES, Iowa -- Des Moines police are looking into whether drugs or alcohol played a role in a fatal motorcycle accident.

Police said Christopher Holsinger, 21, of West Des Moines is dead after a high-speed crash that happened at about 2:15 a.m. Wednesday at Martin Luther King Jr. Parkway Bridge near Fleur Drive.

Police said that a patrol officer saw the man on a motorcycle traveling westbound on Martin Luther King Jr. Parkway at a high rate of speed near Third Street. That's about one mile east of where the crash happened.

The officer was traveling east on Martin Luther King Jr. Parkway and turned around to pursue the motorcycle.

Police said that when the officer reached about Seventh Street, he saw sparks from the motorcycle near the Martin Luther King Jr. bridge, indicating Holsinger had lost control of the bike.

Holsinger hit the conrete wall on the east side of the bridge and was thrown off the bike and over the bridge, a news release said. He was found dead at the bottom of the northeast side of the bridge.

"He did finally locate the body of an individual at the bottom of the bridge. It appears that the motorcycle struck the guardrail of the bridge. He was ejected," said Sgt. Todd Dykstra, Des Moines police spokesman.

Authorities said that there was no chase involved. Police said that officer noticed Holisinger was traveling at a high rate of speed and just after he turned around to pull him over, he saw the cycle hit the bridge.

Authorities are not saying at this point if alcohol was involved in the crash, but an autopsy has been performed. Now, they are waiting on the toxicology reports.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
bridges are usually straight...i wonder what caused him to strike into the side of that bridge. 230am in the morning...i bet he was blasting through that highway....not easy to go anywhere but straight.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
charles722 said:
bridges are usually straight...i wonder what caused him to strike into the side of that bridge. 230am in the morning...i bet he was blasting through that highway....not easy to go anywhere but straight.
there is a curve right before the bridge, which mightve caused him to lose control of the bike

heres a vid of the report where you can see the bridge

http://mfile.akamai.com/12881/wmv/vod.ibsys.com/2006/0503/9153996.200k.asx

·
Registered
194 Posts
Just another case of a police officer chasing a bike for nothing more then a speeding ticket. Police are always quick to say no chase when in fact more times then not they are to blame.

·
Registered
199 Posts
i do feel sorry that this happend especially since i live here in des moines. this will surely have the police on our cases alot more than they already are. just another reason to make sure that you ride safe. R.I.P. chris

·
Registered
328 Posts
In the past month we've had 5 deaths and two seriously injured who required surgery, here in town. Been a crazy year so far, here's hoping the trend doesn't continue. RIP.

·
MotoGP NEWS Guru
5,051 Posts
I don't think it's wholly inconceivable that there wasn't a chase. And if even if there was, why was he running? I think this is just a case of misjudgment of speed and negotiating the turn. Either way, my prayers are with his family as they go through a time of grieving.

I'll reiterate the "Ride Safe" encouragement, particularly since we are coming up on the weekend. Ride safely this weekend, gentlemen (and ladies).

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
GTABurnout said:
Just another case of a police officer chasing a bike for nothing more then a speeding ticket. Police are always quick to say no chase when in fact more times then not they are to blame.
He made a stupid choice and you blame the police? Given the time of day and the circumstances of the situation why would you write such a thing? Is it not just as likely a 21yr old rider with no experience (who was pretty sure he was immortal) got drunk and went blasting around irresponsibly, got in over his head, spotted a cop on the other side of the road and completely overreacted, fled and lost control? A night in jail would've been a whole lot better than dead, no?

I feel for the rider's family and send open ended condolences.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
JetBlast10 said:
He made a stupid choice and you blame the police? Given the time of day and the circumstances of the situation why would you write such a thing? Is it not just as likely a 21yr old rider with no experience (who was pretty sure he was immortal) got drunk and went blasting around irresponsibly, got in over his head, spotted a cop on the other side of the road and completely overreacted, fled and lost control? A night in jail would've been a whole lot better than dead, no?

I feel for the rider's family and send open ended condolences.
I think everyone is jumping the gun... being 21 myself it hurts to read such a post..... but neither you or him know the exact circumstance or situation.... you don't know if alcohol was involved... if you look at the video... traveling at a high speed which means and excess of 100 mph.. you can easily lose control going through that left bend of a turn... he obviously lost control and struck the guardrail.... it was nobodys fault but his very own and before we start making unjustifible claims we should be instead praying for his family....He was only 21 years old... I bet he had a mother and father that loved him...God bless.

-Ryde

·
Registered
39 Posts
GTABurnout said:
WTF? That is one of the stupidest replies I've ever seen.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts