Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yesterday a friend and I were doing a few light mods to my bike, and we ended up blowing the tail light fuse out. We took one from the Bank Angle Sensor location for temporary use to make sure we did the lighting correctly.

We figured out that the bike will not start without the Bank Angle Sensor fuse. It will turn over until the battery dies, but it will never start.

As much of a pain in the butt it may be to remove a fuse at the end of the day... For those who park their bikes in high theft risk areas (E.G. apartment complex), this may not be a bad idea. Ignition hot wire or not, the bike will not start without that fuse. I'm pretty sure the last thing a thief would think when a bike will not start is "Oh the bank angle sensor fuse is out!".

Of course, this won't help with the "shoebox" thieves who come with a truck or van to lift them, but I've read that there is an increasing amount of thefts from ignition over riding, or hot wiring.

Just thought I'd share.

·
Registered
821 Posts
As much of a pain in the butt it may be to remove a fuse at the end of the day... For those who park their bikes in high theft risk areas
You're absolutely right about it being a pain in the butt, but it is a good idea. When I first read this, I thought, "Pffffff... sure. Like I'm going do that every time...".

But, then I figured it would be a great idea not only if you were to leave it in a high theft area, but if you were to be away from the bike for an extended period of time (even in a "low-theft" area).

Like you said, if they come prepared your bike is gone, but another theft deterrent is always a good idea. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
4,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What about the bikes that Have the locking mech?

The handlebar lock you mean?

If that is what you're talking about, thieves can easily break that by sitting on the seat and using their legs to snap the thin piece of metal that locks the bars.

The fuse idea is just an extra theft prevention idea. Anything you can do to slow them down is more of a chance that they will leave your bike alone and move to the next.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I would venture to guess that most thieves use the van/truck method b/c they want to get in and get out. Instead of removing a fuse, you can run a switch from the battery that will shut off the power. You can hide it on the undertail or under the rear seat.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I think they will just pick it up and part it out. I don't think they really care if it starts or not.
x2, they may be like sob now we gotta put it in the truck, hey grab that side I got over here. I gotta install this I900 asap

·
Registered
4,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm not talking necessarily always in an apartment complex scenario. There are times when you are away from your bike for extended periods of time, are there not?

Believe it or not, hot wiring the bikes is still a popular way of theft.

·
Registered
5,274 Posts
I'm not talking necessarily always in an apartment complex scenario. There are times when you are away from your bike for extended periods of time, are there not?

Believe it or not, hot wiring the bikes is still a popular way of theft.
oh well, theres plenty of kill switch possibilities. been there done that

·
Registered
135 Posts
It's still not going to stop your bike from being stolen, one thing leads to the next. For example a robber wants to get in a house, the door is locked, he breaks a window and is in. Bike wont start so physically move it. As I just read in another thread.. a good point here is hopefully once they do steal it, they dont figure out how to get it started, leaving your chances of recovering the bike intact much higher compared to them wrecking it. I dunno about you guys but I cant afford full coverage at 1000+ a year.. on top of my other vehicles. I prefer the alarm/gps method & a locked up garage. Its good to keep looking for better ways to stop these suckers though.

·
Registered
5,274 Posts
guess you do what you got to do to keep pay for your toys. something that can get stolen so easier should have full coverage. if you cant. than you better find a garage. i guess if it gets stolen within the 1st year but gets recovered. better hope that 1k you saved will pay for all the parts missing or damaged. im sure when they strip the bike down they will find all your fancy switches

·
Registered
135 Posts
hmm pay 600 for one year for an i900 + the gps, I'm usually not away from my bike for a long time nor a far distance away.. So by the time I get paged if its gone, they better be far away from the bike when i find it : )

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
guys he isnt saying it will prevent ALL theft.. just the idiots that see the DIY youtube videos of hotwiring a bike... i do like the idea of hiding a killswitch somewhere tho... anyone know how hard that is to wire?

·
Registered
753 Posts
Like you said, if they come prepared your bike is gone, but another theft deterrent is always a good idea. Thanks for sharing.
+1. The best you can do is make sure you're covered for theft, park the bike indoors or in a locked area, and don't leave it unattended for long periods of time.

I think they will just pick it up and part it out. I don't think they really care if it starts or not.
That happened in York (a city close to LanCo and I) a while back. 4 strong men came up to a bike with two 4x4s, put one between the spokes of the rear wheel and one in the front, and picked up the bike and put it in the bed of a truck and off they went.

·
Registered
4,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That happened in York (a city close to LanCo and I) a while back. 4 strong men came up to a bike with two 4x4s, put one between the spokes of the rear wheel and one in the front, and picked up the bike and put it in the bed of a truck and off they went.
Yea, that sh!t happens all the time unfortunately. My room mate works at a bike shop, and it was just broken into a few weeks ago and two bikes and some equipment was stolen.

It's just ridiculous. Nothing makes me angrier than some bottom feeding low life scum of a thief who thinks he/they can just come take what we've worked so hard to get.

My bike is guarded by my house door and by me and my room mate's 9mm's every night.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts