Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
3,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a Spidi two piece suit. Excellent construction, excellent protection, very pleased with the suit except for one thing - there was nearly no ventilation. Great winter suit (I live in Florida remember) but a steam cooker in the summer.

I decided I really like the suit and didn't want to spend any money replacing it. So I called Syed Leathers and spoke with their leather suit guru who explained to me that they could perforate it for me but it was labor intensive to perforate an "already constructed" suit without deconstructing it. They would punch holes in it one hole at a time and the labor could be as much as $200.

Now, sitting in my magic toolbox of one time use tools is a leather punch. Sort of looks like a hole punch with various sizes, you know what I mean? Like this:
but you see how little clearance there is on that tool? I could only get an inch in from the seam, nothing in the chest area could be reached.

***Flash of Inspired Brilliance***

As I examined my little hole punch I realized the punch bits were removeable.
I slowly swung my head around the garage until my gaze fell upon my drill press. See where this is leading? Gleefully I rushed into the house and tore the office apart until I found (you guessed it) graph paper. Laid the jacket out flat on the table, cut the graph paper down to the right size and used clear shipping tape to stick it to the jacket.

Headed back to the garage, mounted the punch bit into the drill press (note that I unplugged the drill press, it wasn't spinning. I merely needed something to drive the bit down against a solid base) and adjusted the base up until it was about an inch from the bit.

Slid the jacket along the base and used the graph paper to be consistant with my hole spacing. With the dexterity and patience of a leathermaster I took to repeatedly lowering the bit and driving it through the leather - 45 minutes later I had a perfectly perforated leather jacket.

So what can we learn from this? Well if you can save some money by buying a non perforated leather suit in the middle of summer, you have no worries. The leather hole punch tool costs about $5.00 and the Delta drill press can be had from Lowes for $99. So you could pay a leather worker $200 to perforate your suit or you can pay $104 to perforate it yourself, in any design you want, and when you're finished you still have the drill press that you've always wanted. I can help answer any questions you might have if you want to try it yourself.

· Tell me I'm cool PLEASE!
814 Posts
We wanna see your designwork. Hopefully it's not an L-7 but even if it were.....you've pioneered a new idea!!!!! (prototypes usually suck).

814 Posts

· Ninja Master
2,474 Posts
brilliant. i've actually considered getting some sort of a leather punch to do the same thing, but your approach is much better. my only concern would be that the liners of my non-perforate jackets are similarly non-perforated, so airflow might be a bit weird.

for you bimmer riders that only go bicycle-speeds, that isn't an issue, but anybody on a proper sportbike... :)

· Registered
3,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Granted, my design wasn't very unique but I can always go back and add to it. The ride home was much more comfortable today. The liner on this jacket opens up so no problem there for me, might be a problem on other styles - something to check for yourself before beginning.

Hey Tim - anytime man, just double check your liner to be sure we can work around it. It's surprisingly easy to do and will move even faster now that I know what I'm doing.

814 Posts
Now you can get fancy w/ designs and stuff. Gotta remember this one. Classic.

· Registered
1,236 Posts
Looks really good. Like you said add a little to make it look a little better but what a really cool idea (pun intended).

Also got ot thinking. I dont have a press or leathers to punch (textile and leather as soon as it gets here???) but these with a hammer would probably do the trick with a piece of wood on the back side. http://cgi.ebay.com/5-piece-HOLLOW-...210797331QQcategoryZ75565QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem There are many other types on there also.

· Super Moderator
11,723 Posts
JB, That looks really nice! My liner isn't removable but I'm not really worried about puching through it. That suit is beat to hell anyway. What's a few more holes in it! I'll give you a call later and we'll work something out.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.