Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a 03 off of ebay and I was going to take a cheap airplane up there to get it. Would you attempt a 1000 mile journey from Oswego, NY to Chattanooga, TN? Any tips to make the ride more enjoyable? Any tips in general?

·
Alcoholic.
1,852 Posts
do lots of squats.

Bring a sheepskin set cover or something

Bengay.

Personally, I wouldn't ride 1000 miles on a bike I hadn't professionally inspected yet, but thats just me.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
I feel your pain already...............but if you ride be safe

·
Banned
1,086 Posts

·
Registered
857 Posts
1000 miles on a bike you dont know. be careful. also plane ticket + gas + over nite stay = same price to ship.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I know, sketchy. Everyone is quoting me 650 dollars to ship. Plane ticket=$215
Non-stop ride= $120
Wrecking and dieing because bike falls apart= Priceless

Just wish me luck and pray

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
Non-stop ride= $120
That is extremely unrealistic.

Have you ridden before? You can think that you're going to ride 1000 miles non stop, but after 100 miles you'll be at the gas station bitching about how uncomfortable you are.

·
Registered
34 Posts
As long as you can verify that the bike is sound to ride I don't see i as a big deal. I have always put a lot of miles on my bikes and on my 06 600rr nothing is different. A 3-400 mile day isn't a problem if you are in shape and take enough breaks to stretch.

I do recommend road bike gel shorts if this cbr has a stock seat.

Good luck

·
Registered
308 Posts
do you need insurance on the bike, do you have your endorsement, just lookin out for you, i dont know the laws but sounds like none of the paperwork would be in your name if you got pulled over, which is likely on a 1000 mile trip. have you ridden before?

·
Alcoholic.
1,852 Posts
crotch rockets are no fun on long trips. I could see if you were gettin a chopper...

Do you have any idea how much choppers break down? For long trips, you basicly need a truck to follow you.

A straight harley or Sport cruiser are the only things I'd really take a long trip on.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I meant non-stop as in not spending the night anywhere. I'm assuming roughly 40 mpg at $3.50/gallon with stopping every 3-4 gallons to fill up. Then I'm gonna take my license plate off the bike I'm riding now and putting it on for the trip. I know...I'm winging it pretty hard.

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
Spend the 650 to ship it. You don't know what you're getting yourself into.

Would you rather get pulled over and end up having your bike towed and possibly get arrested? Going to ride without insurance too?

You're looking at a **** load of money in fines if you were to get stopped. Why risk it?

·
Registered
810 Posts
1000 miles on a bike you dont know.
I'm with Robbie here - that could be an interesting ride.

BTW 1000m non-stop - are you picking this up at 5am? leaving at 6am & driving until you:
a. crash
b. fall asleep then crash
c. aim for a hotel to stop at for the night..

FYI - 1000m at an average speed of 60mph = 16+ hrs & this is a highly unlikely estimate on a bike.

You can do it, but it makes no sense to try & save the $50 for a nights rest. Take 2 days on the return. 2 x 500m days back 2 back is not easy but is safer.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'm with Robbie here - that could be an interesting ride.

BTW 1000m non-stop - are you picking this up at 5am? leaving at 6am & driving until you:
a. crash
b. fall asleep then crash
c. aim for a hotel to stop at for the night..

FYI - 1000m at an average speed of 60mph = 16+ hrs & this is a highly unlikely estimate on a bike.

You can do it, but it makes no sense to try & save the $50 for a nights rest. Take 2 days on the return. 2 x 500m days back 2 back is not easy but is safer.
and you will enjoy the ride way more dude... I went 7 hours straight with gas fills once and my a$$ hurt for a week...

·
Registered
44 Posts
I suggest you make it a two day trip.
Nothing to be embarrassed by on taking your time on a long trip..
And staying the night at a cheap hotel and heading back on the road.

It just might save your life.

Good luck man, ride safe.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts