Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, i have a blue 04 (keep forgetting the exact name..candy something or anothe) and anywho. for some reason honda decided to make the lower part of the bike flow w/ the engine and paint it that light gray. which is rediculously ugly in my book, so i think im gonan paint mine. i was gonna get it done at a paint shop. then i realized theres no fun in that. so heres my idea, and i need you guys to give me your expert opinions, and for those that have done it...the do's and dont's

i figured id just wet sand it with 600 grit to rough it up a lil. then just spray it flat black w/ spray paint...take my time do it nice and light, maybe 3 coats. now i have an internal struggle, flat black or gloss black. i eventually wanna powdercoat the clutch cover/rear pegs/rear sets black, and im sure they would come out more of a flat black. so im opting for that. but again, expertese is needed! so anywho, will my plan work or should i approach this differently. probably gonna start the project when i get back in town around 3 today..so lemme know folks!

·
Banned
544 Posts
I sanded mine down, and then put a coat or 2 of primer on it, then painted it gloss black. It won't help your decision, but you can get flat or gloss powdercoating for your cases, but I went with gloss black on my silver bike. I think if your bike is a gloss, the lowers should be gloss. But thats just me. In fact, I am going to strip my lowers down and redo them this week I think, as I did a rush job on them just to get them back on the bike.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Did mine, you don't need to wet sand it first, just dry sand. A lot of people have done it as well. What I did was just roughed it up with 600 Grit then wiped it down with rubbing alcohol and used a flat black spray paint and did 5 even light coats. Came out really nice. Good Luck!
p.s. I'd go with flat, the frame is flat so you would like it to be close to the frame.
http://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?p=724725#post724725

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
...hows everything holdin up?? i dont mind spending the money to get things powdercoated. i really am surprised you did your swingarm. you did everything i wanted to do, but i wanted powdercoating to prevent chips. so hows your results so far. everything still good?'

looks sick 8)

·
Registered
638 Posts
Still good. Its been almost 3 months and the only chip I have is on the left side of the swingarm from where the local shop was installing my new chain and sprockets, they were tapping the rear axle back in and hit the swingarm, put a small chip on it. I just touched it up.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
humm..i really wantd to do my swingarm. i really wanna do this to the bike. but im still not sure on some things (please ignore my awesome hand drawn wheel stripes...hahaa, just gettin an idea)

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
only part i couldnt do is paint the plastic near the tank and seat from black to blue...then i'd have to make the extra part of the wing. cause thats not standard....we're so custom 8)

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
doubt it would match the bike. i'd get it done professionaly for sure...and if i decide to paint the rear faring black, id get it done then...cuts the bike perfectly in half...black and blue :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.