Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to buy a new 09' RR, but i'm thinkin' about getting the ABS. I've seen it in action on the skid pads, and from what I read people think its great it you can afford it, but I'd like to hear some other opinions. I also live near the beach in New York, so wet/sandy streets are not uncommon.

Also I am getting it for $9,500 plus taxes and title, hows that deal sound?

Thanks a lot

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I got my 09 ABS cheaper than that in late november.
As for the choice between the two - GO ABS! My sig has a quote in it from a bike rag that speaks to this. Also, some on here will tell you if you are a track junkie then stay away from the ABS so keep that in mind.

·
Registered
5,537 Posts
I'm running an 09 ABS on the street too. Haven't had to use it. Hope I never have to

·
Registered
38 Posts
I got my 09 ABS cheaper than that in late november.
As for the choice between the two - GO ABS! My sig has a quote in it from a bike rag that speaks to this. Also, some on here will tell you if you are a track junkie then stay away from the ABS so keep that in mind.

Agree 100%

I paid $8100 for my 09 ABS new + tax in Feb 2010. Cycleworld still has close to this deal on ebay now. they are not too far from U. Cherryhill, NJ. That is where I got mine.

·
Registered
499 Posts
ABS looks awesome, GO FOR IT. I feel like an idiot each time I lock up the rear wheel during semi-aggressive breaking.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
I am a huge fan of ABS. I bought the non-ABS instead however.

Reason being, it's a sportbike and I don't like my sportbikes w/ABS. If I was going to purchase a cruiser, ABS automatically without question. A lot more weight to stop with a cruiser, ABS just provides extra insurance.

non-ABS is more my particular style in sportbikes because of the way I ride.

Not a big fan of traction control either, again... just personal preference. Both ABS and Traction Control are fantastic for given circumstances, though it is just my personal preference to not have either on a sportbike.

I'm certerfied in ABS and a HUGE believer in it, just not my cup of tea for certain situations.

Good luck with your decision.

Peace,

Gabe

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I hear ya. I'll rarely be on the track, so I think me living near the beach is good having the ABS wiith all the sand.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Do it

I have ABS on my BMW and have ridden it about 32k miles in the past 4 years. There are maybe 3-4 times that it's ever activated (when I wasn't expecting it to). In each case I was just coming to a stop and came into 'something' slick on the road that I couldn't see. I remember once it was some super fine sand and once there was some kind of oil. I couldn't see the oil even when I was stopped right on top of it but when I put my foot down it was like trying to stand on wet ice. Not sure if I would have gone down but the ABS kept the front from locking (even if just for a second) and anyone that's done that knows how easy it is to dump the bike at 2 mph.

A lot of purists will say that you won't learn how to ride correctly or that you'll drive crazy expecting the ABS to save you. I don't get that because I NEVER think about what kind of brakes I have when riding. I know what it takes to stop the bike and I ride accordingly, just like I do on my non-ABS bikes.

If you do get it though, beware of doing quick stops on REALLY bumpy patches.

·
Registered
185 Posts
At the local Honda dealer they told me ABS only came in red. I thoguht that was kind of silly, but I guess it is true.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
At the local Honda dealer they told me ABS only came in red. I thoguht that was kind of silly, but I guess it is true.
My 09 ABS is black and grey (both with some seriously nice looking metal flake). Check out the Honda Power sports site it will show you the black and the red models.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Does anyone know what the stopping difference is with the ABS compared to non ABS models?
It's not Honda, though it's informative and what I watched at work before I took my certification for ABS -

By the way, some fun facts about the video: It was filmed in Mesa, AZ at the GM Desert Proving Grounds and I worked with the people in the video...lol

Peace,

Gabe

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Even better, Honda's Sport Bike ABS 1 of 3 parts

Suzuki's got a good one too

Peace,

Gabe

·
Registered
185 Posts
My 09 ABS is black and grey (both with some seriously nice looking metal flake). Check out the Honda Power sports site it will show you the black and the red models.

I have a feeling that is a fairly rare bike. Not crazy rare, but I literally have only seen ABS in the red model. The local Honda dealer told me it only comes in red (probably ebcause that is all he ever got).

·
Registered
86 Posts
Go for the ABS. If nothing else, you could probably deactivate it somehow.

Or trade for a regular one later..

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
One of the mags said basically, if you're the fastest guy in the intermediate group at your local track, skip the ABS. If you're slower than the fastest intermediate guy, get it. If you've never been to the track, but you're "really fast in the canyons," get it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts