Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i live in Michigan so you will be riding beautiful sunny skis and the next minute it will be pouring on you. Also we have pot holes so gravel is sometimes all over where traffic light ends. So my question is should I go with the abs model or non abs? im not a racer i just ride for fun around town and freeways.

· Registered
276 Posts
ABS isnt training wheels. not gonna stop you from falling over lol. its there to control the amount of braking between front and rear brakes.
idk its your choice, ive never ridden with ABS so couldnt tell you. but like i said, its up to the rider to drive the bike through conditions. GL with your decision.

LS

· Registered
10,597 Posts
i live in Michigan so you will be riding beautiful sunny skis and the next minute it will be pouring on you. Also we have pot holes so gravel is sometimes all over where traffic light ends. So my question is should I go with the abs model or non abs? im not a racer i just ride for fun around town and freeways.
If your only use is street I think it is best to go with abs .... its not a cure all but any aid you can have ti help you not wreck is a good thing imo

Sent from my DROIDX using Motorcycle App

· Registered
10,597 Posts
From what I understand... It is more to prevent you from sliding out if you mash the rear brake too hard... If you jack up the front brake you're coming up regardless...
It should limit the stopie effect as well

Sent from my DROIDX using Motorcycle App

· Registered
466 Posts
If you jack up the front brake you're coming up regardless...

I moved from SoCal, where it rains ten days a year, to Rochester, NY where it is always either snowing or raining. When I bought a new CBR600, I decided to get the ABS model for the exact reasons you listed. With a constant threat of rain and lots of gravel on the roads I wanted the added safety of the ABS. Everything I've read about it was overwhelmingly positive. Sure, there is a small handful of people in the world who can out brake an ABS equipped bike in perfect conditions, but when conditions are less than perfect the ABS can save your life.

Plus, in a place with a limited riding season drivers are less aware of bikes, increasing the chance that a panic stop may be necessary. I've been riding for six years and practice emergency breaking, but I like knowing that if that OH SH*T moment happens, my ABS brakes may save my life.

ABS will also keep my front tire from locking up and sending me into a somersault.

· Registered
1,133 Posts
ABS isnt training wheels. not gonna stop you from falling over lol. its there to control the amount of braking between front and rear brakes.
idk its your choice, ive never ridden with ABS so couldnt tell you. but like i said, its up to the rider to drive the bike through conditions. GL with your decision.
Agree it will not stop a tip over, or a slide out in a turn. But it does more than control front/rear applied braking power. It keeps both tires from locking up.

From what I understand... It is more to prevent you from sliding out if you mash the rear brake too hard... If you jack up the front brake you're coming up regardless...
I got real hard on mine today when someone went extremely late through a yellow (much after it turned red). The front dove hard but there was no lift of the rear wheel from the ground. The ABS will prevent stoppies from occurring.

· i love juggggggggzzz
7,534 Posts
where in michigan? i live in oakland county and i would go without abs...

· Registered
10,597 Posts
Agree it will not stop a tip over, or a slide out in a turn. But it does more than control front/rear applied braking power. It keeps both tires from locking up.

I got real hard on mine today when someone went extremely late through a yellow (much after it turned red). The front dove hard but there was no lift of the rear wheel from the ground. The ABS will prevent stoppies from occurring.

this is what i understood it would do

as keep in mind, a stop is indeed the act of the front wheen stopping or DAMN near stopping to the point that the bike is rotating up on the axel

and if the abs is keeping tabs on rear vs front tire speed it should detect a massive difference in rotational speed and release the brakes momentarily causing the back end to come back down.

· Registered
581 Posts
The abs is nice, me and a buddy(05 cbr) were riding side by side and a car pulled out in front of us, his rear tire locked, skided and slid past the car. I stopped right behind it, and never locked a tire up. after that i decided the ABS was a great purchase

· Banned
3,049 Posts
Yes, get it. I've had a few instances in wet conditions where I've had to do an emergency stop and there's no doubt in my mind I would have stopped sooner with ABS.

:+1::+1: and instances where people turn right in front and the fast braking causes the back wheel to squirrel back and forth like crazy.

· Registered
20 Posts
I don't know your physical condition but if you add 27 lbs. to 400 lbs. most people still can't lift it. Also a full tank is close to that weight, do you worry about putting 20 lbs of constantly shifting weight at the top of your center of gravity. I don't mean to be belittling, but the weight of a system that can potentially save your life shouldn't matter, especially if your not doing a track day. If/when I get a cbr or any bike for that matter if abs is an option I will get it.

· i love juggggggggzzz
7,534 Posts
I don't know your physical condition but if you add 27 lbs. to 400 lbs. most people still can't lift it. Also a full tank is close to that weight, do you worry about putting 20 lbs of constantly shifting weight at the top of your center of gravity. I don't mean to be belittling, but the weight of a system that can potentially save your life shouldn't matter, especially if your not doing a track day. If/when I get a cbr or any bike for that matter if abs is an option I will get it.
i was just asking how much weight it added (i feel like i remember somebody saying it added something like 27lbs)... you're correct 6x4.5lbs = 27lbs exactly a tank of gas

it is your bike do whatever you please with it if i was buying a brand new bike i personally wouldn't spend the extra cash on abs. i don't know what you mean by lift it? if you mean off the ground my girlfriend could pick my bike up if it fell over, its not a 800 pound harley and if you mean actually lift it up i don't know anybody who can literally pick up a bike either... i live in south east Michigan, i personally don't see a need for it. if it makes somebody else more confident and secure riding then they should for sure buy it. i've been riding for a long time, i'm used to how the bike reacts in different situations. if somebody pulls out in front of me i don't jam on the rear brakes, i don't know why anyone would... the front brakes are what stops the bike that's why there is 2 of them and they are bigger. obviously the front wheel locking up can be extremely dangerous too but it seems everyone in this thread is talking about locking the rear wheel up. i use my rear brake for pulling into a subdivision or something like that where there is the possibility of sand or loose gravel but i slow down before coming up to it...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts