Votes: 16 57.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay guys so I'm debating on a pre-owned Acura TSX (2004-2008 bodystyle) or a pre-owned E46 (2000-2004 body style) BMW 325i. Any useful input is appreciated, which would you prefer if you had to choose and why?

TSX
-Fly-By-Wire Throttle
-high revving i-VTEC 4-cyl. w/6-spd. close ratio magnesium gearbox
-0.26 co.Ef. of drag (one of the most aerodynamic cars on the road)
-built in Japan

325i
-50/50 weight distribution, RWD
-electronic direct injection in-line 6-cyl.
-5-spd. manual gearbox
-driver oriented cockpit

Attachments

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Everyone and their mom has a 3 series... get a TSX...

true^^^^.. there is a reason for it though.... if its a toss between the 3 series and the TSX, the beamer is hands down better... in every way really.. faster, more fun to drive, more luxurious.... the only way i would give the vote for the TSX is if you plan on owning it for a very long time. the TSX will no doubt last longer and have less mechanical/electrical issues.... but if you know that you will be trading it in for something else in a few years, get the beamer... my $0.02

·
Registered
763 Posts
That is a toughie.
I love the Acura. Don't know about the TSX. I'm always comparing my Dad's 330CI to my buddies Acura CL. There both great but a BMW has that special appeal. More chick magnet I think.

·
Registered
818 Posts
^ you shouldn't need a car to get chicks though or even to impress them. Your bike will do that! TSX all the way, less to maintain, last longer yet still a very sexy car. Save some cash and the TSX.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the good feedback. I'm looking for it as a daily driver. Not sure if I'll end up trading it in a few years or keep it for over a decade. I'm not really looking to pick up chicks with it, and don't mind if alot of people have the same car, I drive a Civic right now which is pretty popular and it doesn't bother me.

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
Thanks for all the good feedback. I'm looking for it as a daily driver. Not sure if I'll end up trading it in a few years or keep it for over a decade. I'm not really looking to pick up chicks with it, and don't mind if alot of people have the same car, I drive a Civic right now which is pretty popular and it doesn't bother me.
if you have a civic, keep it... the way the gas prices are just being crazy... i have a civic and love it... i get 35mpg... when i was in the market for a car - i was really looking into buying other cars TL or a pilot but decided to buy the civic because of the gas mileage... and i cant be happier with my decision...

·
Premium Member
5,158 Posts
TL for the win! Im looking at ordering a TL s-type 6sp with all the carbon fiber and stuff. mmmm i get horny just thinking about it

·
Registered
818 Posts
Oh man, stick with the civic. Thats what I got, 04 4dr chick car. haha cheap insurance, gas, maintenance. Can't go wrong with it.

·
DID has A beard
322 Posts
TSX for sure. You will definitely be better off on the maintenance and fixable problem front with the Acura. They are a lot better than people give them credit for. Given the choice, i would personally would get the TSX if it were my money.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
if you have a civic, keep it... the way the gas prices are just being crazy... i have a civic and love it... i get 35mpg... when i was in the market for a car - i was really looking into buying other cars TL or a pilot but decided to buy the civic because of the gas mileage... and i cant be happier with my decision...
haha well my Civic's a 1997 and it isn't without things that could be fixed, vibrates violently when launching from a stop the first few launches unless I ride the clutch launching from first.. This only happens after it's been sitting overnight I think... (anyone know what this is? thought it was the clutch but the mechanic at a shop I did co-op at said might be oil leaking on the pressure plate I think), also a few other things here and there so rather than dumping a load of cash into repairs I figured I'd get something newer... Also, I don't need such a big car as the TL.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
did u think about other cars? i recently bought an 06 legacy gt. its awd and turbo and 5spd. and in the same price bracket as the tsx and 3 series. the interior is probally not as nice as the beemer but its a heck of alot better than my jeep. but thats not hard to beat.

·
MotoGP NEWS Guru
5,051 Posts
I'm a Honda-Acura whorist. I love those products and helped two friends buy TSXs and they love 'em. Best bang for the buck is the TSX, fully loaded and the reliability is spot on. Cost of maintenance is low, since a lot of the same parts can be sourced from Honda. It's a fun little car to drive around and it still looks very good.

The BMW is a whole different kind of car. Really, comparing the two isn't even close. I'm of the camp, if you're going to get a three series, don't pick up the 325 or the 328. Just screams, "I couldn't afford the bigger engine, but I wanted to pose and pick up the smaller one." That's just my opinion. Honestly, the only reason you'd pick up the smaller displacement is for the AWD.

That being said, the 325/8 is a garbage car if not equipped with the sport package. Honestly, the Sport package is BMW's claim to fame. Everything you've heard about connectedness and driver's machine is because the Sport package is so good. My sister has the newer E90 coupe and I swear, it was horrid.

The DBW throttle was horrible. Steering was a bit numb. But the driving position was very good. Get ready for high maintenance costs. But! You get exclusivity. You're a Bimmer owner now. All the middle fingers you see, yup, pointed at you!

I love the BMW motor. Great motor. But again, only with the sport package. Hard to vote on either of these cars because they're both decent. But I'd have to give the edge to the TSX.

BUUUUUUUUUT.... if you say 328is (note the "s"), then I'd pick up the Bimmer. The Sport package makes a HUGE difference in how the car drives.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm also considering a Lexus GS300 (2002-2005 Body Style) with the 2JZ motor, but the fuel economy isn't as decent as the other two.. Also, it just seems a bit dated in some respects, classy design, but doesn't have projector beam headlights, nor exterior grab-n-pull door handles (minor things, but just makes it show it's age as was originally intoroduced as a 1998 model here in North America).

·
Registered
137 Posts
don't get a tsx

I have a 2004 TSX with the six speed and my transmission went out at only 97k. I pulled it out and the thing is garbage. I asked for some help from Acura corporate since it's kind of early for a tranny to go out and they told be to go pound salt. What about a IS300?

·
MotoGP NEWS Guru
5,051 Posts
Dude, Honda manual transmissions are top notch. For yours to fail at 97k miles has less to do with the car and probably more to do with how you drive the car. Not one Honda that my family or myself have own has seen its manual tranny fail. My last Honda went to 187K with one clutch replacement and that's only because I was using an aftermarket clutch.

·
MotoGP NEWS Guru
5,051 Posts
By the way, IS300 gets HORRIBLE gas mileage, also because of the old, old 2JZ motor. And the new IS is cheap, cheap, cheap on the interior. They could have at least used different radio buttons rather than pulling them straight from the Camry.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts