Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was riding today and going through some twistys and on one right hander I ran a little wide. I was already leaned in hanging off so I tried pushing the the clip ons to correct my line but it felt like the bike was rotating or like the rear was sliding. So I just stood the bike up but I want to know if this is how its suppose to feel or if I'm doing this correctly?

And I was going maybe 55-60 when I tried adjusting, but I dont know if the rear tire was spinning. It just felt like the bike was rotating underneath me, unless that means the rear tire was spinning.

·
Post Whore Extraordinaire
19,904 Posts
when your turning liek that you really shouldnt be trying to puch on the clip ons more, you should be putting more weight on the pegs.

I told your ass to hit me up when u ride...

·
19,904 Posts
If the rear was spinning under you, you'd know, TRUST me...

and thats not easily accomplished with a 600 either...

it sounds like 2 things...
your trying to steer into a hand corner with the handle bars more than the pegs...
and

your not looking thru the corner...

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
snik I thought you were in the 757? but I was looking through the corner and saw that I was running a little wide, nothing serious. And steering with the pegs? I thought your suppose use the clip ons to counter steer ya know

·
19,904 Posts
snik I thought you were in the 757? but I was looking through the corner and saw that I was running a little wide, nothing serious. And steering with the pegs? I thought your suppose use the clip ons to counter steer ya know
yes, but handle bars only steer u so far... u need to use your thighs to pull the bike over, while adding more weight to the pegs, ever see them pics form the tracks with instructors dragging knee and pointing at the line, thats because theyre steering with their, thighs and pegs...

u were using too much handle bar and not enough pegs, and when u started going wide, you had target fixation...

lucky for u, the lane was clear...
u gotta look thru the corner the entire way, or you may pay dearly.

stop thinking about all that counter steer BS.. you use the handle bars to turn but using just them, will never get u turning fast and sharp enough,

ride on the ball of your foot
shift your ass off the seat, what this does, is unconsciously puts weight on that inner peg and pushes it down, while you use the handle bars to turn... all while your thighs are on the outside of the tank, helpin gto pull the bike over even more, AND keeping you on...

·
19,904 Posts
and i am in the 757, whats that gotta do with u not hitting me up to ride...
where did u ride anyway?

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Im in NoVA but I was using my peg and legs to get in the turn and when I was already in I was running a little wide. Now I dont have any riding pants so Im kinda reluctant to hang off more to adjust. So I tried counter steering, I dont know if thats what your suppose to do though?

·
19,904 Posts
Im in NoVA but I was using my peg and legs to get in the turn and when I was already in I was running a little wide. Now I dont have any riding pants so Im kinda reluctant to hang off more to adjust. So I tried counter steering, I dont know if thats what your suppose to do though?
oh, i thought u were down here still...
either way, if your doing that, it simply means you were'nt doing it enough, u dont have to have your knee sticking out, but u may have to get off that seat more and put more weight on that inside peg, BUT

while doing this, dont get all crosses up and have you body NOT parrallel to the bike, stay squared up to the bike...
now what this will make u do is actuall get lower to the tank and your chest will actually be almost centered on the wings on the tank... so your thinking, ok, my ass is off, the peg is loaded, and my chest is down, but unconsciously this also makes u push down on the handle bars more too...

its a lot of stuff to think about, while looking for debris on the road and traffic, and staying in your lane.... you dont have that other BS to worry about at the track.

THIS IS WHY IM DYING TO DO A TRACK DAY, and this is why so many get addicted to them.

so, ill tell you like this, id rather hang off, and ALMOST touch knee in jeans, than run wide into uncoming traffic.

·
Registered
502 Posts
yes, but handle bars only steer u so far... u need to use your thighs to pull the bike over, while adding more weight to the pegs, ever see them pics form the tracks with instructors dragging knee and pointing at the line, thats because theyre steering with their, thighs and pegs...

u were using too much handle bar and not enough pegs, and when u started going wide, you had target fixation...

lucky for u, the lane was clear...
u gotta look thru the corner the entire way, or you may pay dearly.

stop thinking about all that counter steer BS.. you use the handle bars to turn but using just them, will never get u turning fast and sharp enough,

ride on the ball of your foot
shift your ass off the seat, what this does, is unconsciously puts weight on that inner peg and pushes it down, while you use the handle bars to turn... all while your thighs are on the outside of the tank, helpin gto pull the bike over even more, AND keeping you on...
I used to think the same thing until I went to CSS and rode the "No B.S." bike. Weighting the pegs, pushing your knee against the tank, leaning your body into the turn etc. does not turn your bike (I couldn't make the bike turn and neither could anyone else). Counter steering is the only thing that will turn your bike, period. The reason why people can go through a turn and take one hand off of the handle bars is because once you set the lean angle by counter steering you don't need to input anything else into the bike except throttle (those instructors are NOT steering with their thighs and pegs).

·
Registered
109 Posts
you sound like a new rider.. Just ride... the rotating feeling you felt is not the rear tire spinning.... But its the gyroscopic force of the bike leaning and turning.

Like someone said... you don't need to adjust.. JUST LOOK WHERE YOU WANT TO GO. AND YOUR HAND WILL DO THE JOB.

·
19,904 Posts
I used to think the same thing until I went to CSS and rode the "No B.S." bike. Weighting the pegs, pushing your knee against the tank, leaning your body into the turn etc. does not turn your bike (I couldn't make the bike turn and neither could anyone else). Counter steering is the only thing that will turn your bike, period. The reason why people can go through a turn and take one hand off of the handle bars is because once you set the lean angle by counter steering you don't need to input anything else into the bike except throttle (those instructors are NOT steering with their thighs and pegs).

elaborate, because i tried this yesterday and held a steady line wiht my hands off the bars...

Im not disagreeing with you...
but its sure makes a lot more sense that way, that trying to understand the counter steer BS...

Its liek when i was 1st learning how to ride, people said you push and pull the handlebars and i was like WTF, until i thought about all that goes into turning the damn thing and figured it out... To this day, i NEVER use that "phrase" to explain riding to anyone, because to someone that doesnt know, it makes no fukin sense...

So, PLEASE, explain... because, ive come to see that a lot of people that know how to ride, have no fukin clue how to teach someone how to ride.

·
19,904 Posts
I just googled this and read it...
http://www.wikihow.com/Countersteer-(Motorcycle)

While that is nice, i dont like the term, especially around noobies...
YES i do this all the damn time with my fat pig 1000, i have to, but id preffer to think of it as, pulling the outer handle bar up, to halp push the other down...
thats a way to explain it to n00bs...

we all do it, and the faster u go on a bigger bike, the more you will HAVE TO do it... but the term countersteering is confusing, especially for someone like me, coming from the car driver side of things.

But ill tell you what, it only feels like counter steering gets me into the turn, or out of the straigh up position... once the bike starts to go over, i may be doing it less, or more i dont know, but i know for a fact that my skinny ass, CANNOT turn my 1000 at anything over 90moh, without putting weight on the pegs...

so to me, its a combination of ALL of them, peg weight, "countersteer" or whatever the fuk u call it, and pushing down on the handle.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This is getting confusing, let me get this straight. To adjust in mid corner I just hang off more and weigh down the peg or "countersteer" with my hands?

·
Registered
502 Posts
But ill tell you what, it only feels like counter steering gets me into the turn, or out of the straigh up position... once the bike starts to go over, i may be doing it less, or more i dont know, but i know for a fact that my skinny ass, CANNOT turn my 1000 at anything over 90moh, without putting weight on the pegs...
The only difference your speed makes is that you will have to counter steer harder. Weighting the pegs is doing nothing. You absolutely CAN turn your 1000, at any speed, by just counter steering, it doesn't matter how big or how strong you are.

It's like I mentioned in my previous post, I didn't believe it either, until they proved it to me.

·
19,904 Posts
This is getting confusing, let me get this straight. To adjust in mid corner I just hang off more and weigh down the peg or "countersteer" with my hands?
u do all of them...
i was saying i feel like i countersteer more just to get the thing leaned pver at high speed.

thing of a seesaw...

one side goes up the other goes down...
from what i gathered from that article i posted, to countersteer, you, in effect, pull one side of the handle up, that makes the other side go down, like a seesaw...

then, in order to help this process along and counter lots of centrifugal mass, ie. too fast for public fukin roads, you see the pros get up, shift their bums and hang off, this is where, your still pulling the outer side up, and pushing down with the pegs, and handle.
then your set.
Now if the bike is a Honda, the rest is history, you set it there, and the fuker dont move.. on a suzuki however, well, theyre not that simple...hahah j/k

·
19,904 Posts
The only difference your speed makes is that you will have to counter steer harder. Weighting the pegs is doing nothing. You absolutely CAN turn your 1000, at any speed, by just counter steering, it doesn't matter how big or how strong you are.

It's like I mentioned in my previous post, I didn't believe it either, until they proved it to me.
whats this no BS bike, a bike with no pegs?

i can kind a see how it works, but i cant see how it works alone, unless your riding Moto style...

·
19,904 Posts
This thread has me thinking now, and dude is'nt explainging jack sh!t to us...

1 - 20 of 72 Posts