Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I started riding this season on a beaten-up Kawi EX250-H. I am very thankful I started small because first few days after the MSF course I was making all sorts of small errors like turning wide into oncoming traffic, over-reving on downshifts, etc... I've now ridden a 1000 km's. I know this means I'm still a massive noob, but now that I have my shifting dialed in and am using most of the rubber on my skinny tire, I'm starting to feel the itch to upgrade.

Obviously, I would love to get something like a used CBR 600rr, but the way they are described on web forums, I guess that would be a death sentence(?). Would an F4I be a better option for someone in my position? I spend most of my time putting around twisty side roads out of the city, which I think may have helped me learn some of the cornering and throttle control basics quicker than if I was piling on freeway miles (I've only been on the freeway 3 times, and just briefly at that).

A common recommendation I see is an SV650 since the suspension can be modified and whatnot. The reason I haven't jumped on that idea is the high price and low supply compared equivalent year/mileage 600s. Then to start modifying the suspension would take time and money that seems unreasonable from my uneducated perspective (this may make perfect sense to someone who knows better than I).

Do any of you experienced riders have tips of things to work on, or signs that my riding may have progressed to the point where I could handle an aggressive 600? I'm not necessarily looking for the speed, but rather the tight handling, modern technology, and awesome looks/sound of the bigger bikes. Also, I plan to take a beginner track school as soon as I can, but am concerned about the grip from my current tires and that parts keep breaking on my current ride. But I digress...

I know questions like this are stale on here, but without being able to test ride bikes at dealerships, I'm at the mercy of your informed opinions for deciding where to go from here. Applogies for being so long winded on my second post :book1:

·
Registered
554 Posts
600RR should be fine. I had an EX250 until I crashed it (not my fault). the bottom line is, know what youre doing.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
My wife just bought an '04 Ninja 250, other than having an incredibly short first gear and kinda bogging a bit on steep hills it's a pretty nice bike.

The more seat time you have the better but if you think you're ready for a RR go for it. You just need to be aware of your limits and treat the bike with some caution as you get used to things. I will say this, it's soooo much smoother riding the RR vs the 250, the thing shifts, handles, accelerates and just rides better. Really though you'd expect nothing less from the additional $10k tag and the millions of dollars of race winning engineering Honda has put into it.

·
Registered
113 Posts
bout to upgrade from a 250 rebel to a cbr...ahh...i would definitly recomend it over the 250 ninja...drove one and wasnt very impressed

·
Registered
572 Posts
a 600rr is very very responsive as well as an f4i. i own both and the main difference between the two is the rr sits a little higher and closer to the handlebars the rearsets on the rr are a little higher and farther back there is a difference in power but if u can ride a f4i then you can ride a rr. on the rr yu feel like you are sitting more on top of the bike. both are great bikes bu i most def prefer my rr over any other machine. hope this helps a little

·
Registered
227 Posts
Wait a year so you can sell your 250 at the beginning of next riding season. That way you can get more seat time on a more forgiving bike and will be able to sell the 250 at the opportune time.

·
Registered
5,537 Posts
Hey John, firstly, kudos for posting here and asking for advice.

Its difficult to judge if you are ready to make the jump up to a 600 from your current ride. Everyone is different, ability wise and maturity (no offense when I say that, I was completely not ready to get on to a 600 when I did and I almost crashed twice HUGE because of it). I am though a bit leery of you only being on a bike for a 1000KMS before making the leap.

All the modern 600's are very very fast and will get you into a heck of a lot of trouble before you know it. The f4i you mention is only two generations old and will put you in the ditch in a heartbeat.

I'd recommend more seat time before making the jump. Learn the basics, get VERY comfortable with all aspects of your current bike. Ride, ride and ride some more.

When I used to ride street, I would do 1000kms in two days!

Best of luck and whichever way you go, stay on the board and read and post. There are a ton of great people here who will be glad to help out.

Stay safe.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
I can't really answer the question about is it too much for you to get a 600cc bike. My first bike and current bike is a 600cc bike. It's an 03' 600rr and I love it. Now you are looking for an f4i and/or interested in one. Now from reading other articles and personally riding one. The f4i and earlier model 600rr's are almost similar in tuning. The only difference IMO is the seating position. The handelbars on the f4i are higher so it would be more comfortable as for the 600rr the handlebars are a bit lower. I honestly can say there is no problem with my 600rr I love the riding position and my hands/ legs don't cramp up or hurt after long rides day after day. Hope this helps. Good luck with your decision though.

Ride safe,
Ian

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you all for all the great information!

BWRX (Brian): That's good thinking. I was originally (before posting) planning on waiting for a good deal on a 600 this fall, then keeping both bikes through the winter, and selling the 250 in the new season after having a little warm-up on it. For some reason my insurance premiums are very low, so that wouldn't really add to the cost.

Thanks again, everyone! I'll keep checking back here for more opinions. Hopefully I'll learn enough to contribute to the forum, eventually. :icon_stud

·
Registered
783 Posts
I'd say get the bike now if you want it, but if you're planning on not riding it this season, I'd wait. I say this only because it would be almost impossible to resist the temptation to take that sucker out for a blast. You definitely wouldn't want to ride the 250 after purchasing the 600 (I know I wouldn't).

I personally didn't find the 600 to be anything like as unforgiving as it's made out to be, but I guess it all depends on rider, experience and discipline.

I know people are probably sick of me pimping this book, but I really recommend purchasing a copy of Proficient Motorcycling by David Hough; It contains tons of invaluable info that will help you become a better, safer rider, including practice drills and exercises.

Good luck with whatever you choose and ride safe.

On a side note: That is the best use of grammar I have ever seen on this forum.

He used capitalization, paragraphs, sentences, correct spelling and punctuation. Amazing! :D

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
I am not sure I follow how the rr and the SV are the same price. If you aren't interested in speed as much as cornering, the SV is an amazing bike. And, they are typically cheaper from my observation.

As for suspension, if youride hard, and get to know the limits of a stock RR, you will want to upgrade that as well. I wouldn't rule out the SV for that reason.

As for your ability, you sound ready for a bigger bike. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I rode about 8000 miles on my 2007 ninja 250 before I was beginning to think about getting a 600. I got the cbr600rr only when I could not turn through corners on the 250 ninja without dragging parts, and, I could easily launch it from redline. I attempted wheelies on the ninja 250, but, they were either wimpy, or, (as on one occasion) very quick, and abrupt, launching the front wheel into the air, and, believe it or not, almost 12 o'clocking the bike. It would have had I not hit the rear brake. (this was a 5 mph roll with a clutch dump from around 11k, with a tug on the handlebars)

Anyways, I would suggest the 600rr after you can ride the 250 comfortably, to it's max, or, the max you will ride. I say it's, or the max you will ride, because, if you can ride it to it's max, obviously, get somethign with a higher max. If you ride it to your max, your max obviously won't change, and, if you continue to ride within your skill range on a 600, you will probably never have an accident through fault of your own. However, I would then question: why get a 600? If you only like accelerating to 60 in 5.5 seconds, and the 110 mph top speed is more than enough for you, stay with the 250.

If you want to go to 60 in about 3.5, or 4 seconds, with a top speed of over 140 mph, I would suggest the 600. Not to mention there seems to be better handling in the 600 than the 250: more cornering clearance and wider tires.

·
Registered
28,565 Posts
i didnt read all the mumbo jumbo posts except yours.

i say, take the track school first and then decide if you have the skills necessary to upkeep with a cbr600rr or any supersport or super bike the way you want to ride it.

some people get supersport bikes or superbikes (999cc or higher) as their first bikes and have great success.
others not so the case. either way...it all comes down to inner talent and the need for education which equates to alot of practice in the long run.

goodluck to ya mang.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I'm with powermoose on this one. Look into the SV a little more. They shouldn't cost more than an RR and you can find spare parts all day long on the WERA boards. An SV would be an excellant choice for the street. 4 cylinder bikes are fun and fast but they aren't designed for the street. They make most of their power at RPMs well above what you would typically be running on the street. The SV doesn't have as much total power but it delivers it much more evenly and at lower RPMs. Plus twins sound awsome and if you decide to start racing the Lightweight Twin class is a great class to get started in. That's just my $0.02 Whatever you decide to get be careful and have fun.

·
Registered
412 Posts
There's nothing wrong with keeping the bike you have now for a while longer.

Experience on a bike isn't limited to control, it's almost more important to learn how to negotiate traffic, develop good habits and safe practices on the street.

It would be easier to learn all that on the bike you have now, on a high revving superbike the learning curve is a little steeper.

I'd suggest bombing around for the rest of the season on your bike and just 'pretend' you're on a CBR. Keep your eyes peeled and wait for one of those "amazing deals" that come by once in a while before upgrading.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
I'm with powermoose on this one. Look into the SV a little more. They shouldn't cost more than an RR and you can find spare parts all day long on the WERA boards. An SV would be an excellant choice for the street. 4 cylinder bikes are fun and fast but they aren't designed for the street. They make most of their power at RPMs well above what you would typically be running on the street. The SV doesn't have as much total power but it delivers it much more evenly and at lower RPMs. Plus twins sound awsome and if you decide to start racing the Lightweight Twin class is a great class to get started in. That's just my $0.02 Whatever you decide to get be careful and have fun.
And there isn't jack for an 07-08 600rr on there! I keep getting scopped on TTXs

·
Registered
307 Posts
I would say you are disciplined enough to handle an upgrade to a 600rr. I still believe these are not bikes to learn on/be your first bike. But if you've done several thousand miles on the 250 and have gotten the shifting mistakes out of the way, I would say you're ready for the upgrade.

I did several 1000 miles on a 250, upgraded to my 600rr. It was intimidating at first, but I started slow again in neighborhoods, learning the bike's acceleration, braking, etc. But I have become very comfortable with the bike in the 4 months I've had it. It is very easy to ride under 8k rpm's, getting above that and it turns into a whole different beast.

Shop around, look for a good deal on a clean 600rr, and start slow. Let us know what you end up doing.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts