Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This winter my entire goal is to get my bike race ready for track days and maybe even racing next season. So I'm thinking I should start doing research and get some ideas for the mod's I should prioritize from most important to not so much. I have an 07 cbr 600 rr, and have been told I should definitely consider suspension, brake lines, rear sets, clip ons etc. Right now I am bone stock.

Does anybody have any suggestions? I'm open to brands, type and everything. I dont even know where to begin shopping, so any help would be awesome! thanks guys!

·
Registered
7,045 Posts
You can go really far with mods for trackdays. In my opinion it would be best to start out with a few and work from there, if you decide you want to ride the track more or less. Many mods enhance riding for the track but reduce ability to ride on the street.

I wouldn't mod the suspension yet; but I would have it professionally dialed in for your weight. Trading out brake lines is also unnecessary at this point. New rearsets are nice and minimally impact comfort so I would consider those. I personally find the throttle to be insufficient for racing, so consider a quick turn kit of some kind (I don't know much about them; often called HRC throttle.)

But all this is assuming you haven't been to a track day yet.

·
Registered
7,045 Posts
Well if you're going that far in, definitely a quick turn throttle, rearsets, 1 piece leathers (if you don't have them already), back protector, renthal medium compound grips, levers (if you need a different pull length), spares, etc.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well if you're going that far in, definitely a quick turn throttle, rearsets, 1 piece leathers (if you don't have them already), back protector, renthal medium compound grips, levers (if you need a different pull length), spares, etc.

Cool, that's what I was thinking. Any ideas for brands or good places to start looking?

·
Registered
796 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you. This is the game plan that I have for myself for next year.

I would have to say full race gear should come first if you don't have it already because safety is number 1.
- 1 piece suit
- back and chest protectors
- race boots
- race gloves
- helmet obviously

I have all my gear already, so right now I'm focusing on transportation for my bike. I don't want to ride to the track because it's inconvenient, and a trailer is neccessary in case you can't ride back for some reason (injury, damaged bike, too tired, etc.) So right now I'm shopping around for:
- Trailer hitch
- Trailer options (uhaul rental or buying my own)
- Bike tie down options for both rental or personal trailer

Next I would take care of track REQUIREMENTS.
- Tape for lights
- Taking care of any safety wiring
- New tires

I'm not at the level yet where I am out-riding the stock parts like brakes, suspension, or stock power so I'm going to leave the bike as-is in terms of performance mods. But I will try to get the stock suspension tuned for my weight. I believe that the biggest improvements to lap times will be to the rider, so I will be signing up for more rider training.
- Setting up stock suspension by a professional
- California superbike school level 3 & 4
- Comparing "local" track organizers and their schedules to my favorite tracks. Comparing their costs and how organized they are.

If mid season I see myself becoming a regular track junkie, then I will be shopping for race bodywork, race tires, lap timer, and tire warmers. But I don't think I'll be buying anything other than race bodywork in 2009.

·
Registered
7,045 Posts
Cool, that's what I was thinking. Any ideas for brands or good places to start looking?
A lot of it comes down to personal preference; there's a lot of parity between brands. I believe ASV levers offer a warranty that covers breakage even due to accident which is unique among lever makers.

Woodcraft and Vortex are popular for rearsets since you can obtain parts for them more easily than other brands.

Site sponsors:

sportbiketrackgear.com
sumofallparts.net
superbikesupply.com
cyclesector.com
solomotoparts.com

etc. You may be able to get better prices by going through one of their agents versus the website itself.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Sorry don't mean to thread jack but "Fighting chance" do you know where i get my suspension professional set up for my weight here in Orlando fl

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I have the gear I need, and the transportation is all taken care of. I'll have plenty of take-offs available to me next year so I'm not stocking up too too much on tires. Just putting back lots of cash so I can be prepared for being a track junkie. I plan on doin 2-3 a month at times. Track necessities like tire warmers and such are on their way already, but I am gonna focus on mods and spare parts for the next few months.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Well, I have the gear I need, and the transportation is all taken care of. I'll have plenty of take-offs available to me next year so I'm not stocking up too too much on tires. Just putting back lots of cash so I can be prepared for being a track junkie. I plan on doin 2-3 a month at times. Track necessities like tire warmers and such are on their way already, but I am gonna focus on mods and spare parts for the next few months.
Ok, you're well on your way to becoming a junkie lol. I'm not at that point yet, but I would definitely get track bodywork. I did some brief searching and came across "armourbodies" at sportbiketrackgear. I think this is the brand that I would go with for my 08.
I would also modify input devices like grips, clutch and brake levers, rear sets, "tech spec" tank pads, etc.

·
Registered
11,156 Posts
go all out protecting you and the bike. suspension set up for sure, but at the stage you're at the bike should be enough performance wise. i wouldn't spend on performance mods just yet. maybe a 520 and different gearing. race fairings, sliders...all that stuff. oh yea, safety wire pliers and safety wire(FUN), i have to do that this weekend on the 600 :(

·
Vendor --- BOTM 05/2009
2,637 Posts
I'll be able to get you good bodywork in about a month for around $375 shipped. You also need to crash proof your bike as much as possible. Woodcraft case covers, rearsets, clipons, etc.. with spare parts. I can help you with that too. I would crash proof your bike before doing any other performance mods. Your main goal will be to have a durable bike, that in the event of a minor crash that you can get right back out on the track with.

with your size, suspension can wait quite a while. The stock stuff will work ok until you get pretty fast (assuming you aren't already.. LOL)

you can look at my build thread for some idea's if you want.

http://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=99014&highlight=superbikestore.net+track

btw,, saw some of your crew out riding Sunday. Merideth.. etc..

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I'll be able to get you good bodywork in about a month for around $375 shipped. You also need to crash proof your bike as much as possible. Woodcraft case covers, rearsets, clipons, etc.. with spare parts. I can help you with that too. I would crash proof your bike before doing any other performance mods. Your main goal will be to have a durable bike, that in the event of a minor crash that you can get right back out on the track with.

with your size, suspension can wait quite a while. The stock stuff will work ok until you get pretty fast (assuming you aren't already.. LOL)

you can look at my build thread for some idea's if you want.

http://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=99014&highlight=superbikestore.net+track

btw,, saw some of your crew out riding Sunday. Merideth.. etc..

Hell yea! we had a huge party Saturday night and I way over did the drinking so I was totally incapable of riding sunday. of course I am regretting it now..

After seeing Brandon's crash, which was not minor at all, I have become fond of the race railz.. I definitely want to buy some spares of everything too. i think body work and race railz first, then rear sets and clip ons and the hrc quick throttle kit.

OMG! my head is spinning. I've been window shopping all day. the body work has me baffled but if you'll be able to get what I need in a month, I think thats about when I will be ready to buy it.

·
Registered
7,045 Posts
Race railz are more specifically for stunting and low speed drops. There's too much chance the rail will catch on the ground and cause your bike to pinwheel (or your leg get caught between the ground and rail during a slide...)

Some riders don't put on any sliders at all, preferring to let the bike slide on the bodywork rather than risk the slider digging in.

·
Registered
11,156 Posts
the gp shift is preferance, or if ur pushing it so hard out of turns that you need your foot in position to hit your upshift while you're still in lean. idk, personally i race with stock rearsets.

·
Registered
11,156 Posts
Race railz are more specifically for stunting and low speed drops. There's too much chance the rail will catch on the ground and cause your bike to pinwheel (or your leg get caught between the ground and rail during a slide...)

Some riders don't put on any sliders at all, preferring to let the bike slide on the bodywork rather than risk the slider digging in.
yup, a whole bunch of racers with WSMC don't even run frame sliders.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts