Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats the best way to go about buying a used bike that still has a lien on it?

Thanks for your input!

·
I'm a pretty lady!!!
5,859 Posts
Make 100% sure the owner takes care of it before you buy the bike.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right, what if they need the money to pay it off? Say they dont have $6500 to drop before I want to buy it

·
BOTM Winner 09/12 Repsol DaRizzo And Don't U Forg
17,681 Posts
When u give them the cash, go to the bank and get the title

·
I'm a pretty lady!!!
5,859 Posts
^^Bingo!!!!

·
Registered
714 Posts
ill tell you in steps what i had to go through to get my **** and mine was a litlle bit more complicated since a power of attorney was involved and the guy was out of the country. Anywho me and this guys uncle went to their bank... i gave the money to the teller to pay off the remanding of the loan and then the remaining funds were put into his account. The teller made the bill of sale, notorized it... and then she sent something to the dmv saying that I bought the bike. For me I was completely broke haha and couldnt even register the thing but i used that time to become a better rider. Went to the dmv few weeks later picked up the title but i still had to get the guy to "transfer" ahem it over to me. Got my liscense and registration same day.

the advice part you are seeking is that its easier when the bike has the title rdy to be transfer over. just make sure the vin number match and you get a bill of sale

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I actually took a leap of faith and bought mine with a lien on it. After a 3 week runaround with the guy I finally received confirmation of the outstanding lien payment. I don't think the guy was intentionally trying to screw me, but once the cash was in his hands, it seems like he lost all incentive to pay it off quickly.

Save yourself the stress and the headache. Tell them to pay it off prior to you taking delivery.

·
Scooty-Puff Jr. Racer
5,882 Posts
ill tell you in steps what i had to go through to get my **** and mine was a litlle bit more complicated since a power of attorney was involved and the guy was out of the country. Anywho me and this guys uncle went to their bank... i gave the money to the teller to pay off the remanding of the loan and then the remaining funds were put into his account. The teller made the bill of sale, notorized it... and then she sent something to the dmv saying that I bought the bike. For me I was completely broke haha and couldnt even register the thing but i used that time to become a better rider. Went to the dmv few weeks later picked up the title but i still had to get the guy to "transfer" ahem it over to me. Got my liscense and registration same day.

the advice part you are seeking is that its easier when the bike has the title rdy to be transfer over. just make sure the vin number match and you get a bill of sale
this is the best way IMO to deal with it.. go to the bank with him, hand him the money to pay it off and then once he does give him what is left over..

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
i walk away and keep looking for another bike..
That is BY FAR the best way. The only other way to do it is to accompany him to the bank and have him pay off the loan then and there. Don't ever trust a guy to take your money and pay off the loan. It may work out, but chances are a guy who is asking you to do that is in some sort of f*cked up financial situation to start with. His loyalty will not be to you.

·
Registered
14,362 Posts
Save yourself the stress and the headache. Tell them to pay it off prior to you taking delivery.
Not always possible, and you could miss out on a good deal if you can't be flexible. A LOT of people here owe money on their bikes yet they would be perfectly safe to deal with.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
He has it through Honda finance, so i cant really walk up to the bank with him. Im gonna contact honda. I like the bike, has the mods id already do to it, low miles, scorpio i900 alarm, oem parts and so on

hes actually a member here

·
Ain't Even Excited
1,769 Posts
Normally I would say have the money and go with the guy to the bank to pay it off, da da da. However, not all loans are through the bank and sometimes it isn't all an immediate transaction.

I actually went against my own advice and purchased my current bike when it was still owed on. The guy was very legitimate (he was actually a corrections officer) and after knowing where him and his family lived, having all his info, and even going so far as having a written document notarized that he would have the title to me asap. I paid him and took the bike home, he even let me keep his already registered license plate so I could ride it while we waited on the title. Of course I had a doubt in my mind he would just call it in stolen after I left -- but all went well. I drove the bike around for a good week with his plate, until he called me and said he had the title in hand. We met up again, swapped title for plate -- and I was on my way straight to the DMV :)

Again, I wouldn't normally do something like that but if you are a good judge of character it can definitely work out for you some times!

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Not always possible, and you could miss out on a good deal if you can't be flexible. A LOT of people here owe money on their bikes yet they would be perfectly safe to deal with.
True.

This was the case in my situation. Moreover, the loan was not through their bank, but rather a non-local financing company.

As long as you don't transfer the ownership, but you have it in hand, they cannot come after you for the money/ruin your credit (as far as I'm aware). But, if the bike is repo'd, you'll get screwed. It comes down to whether or not you really trust the guy.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I have bought several bikes with leins on them(thats how you get a great deal and work that into your bargaining). Meet at his house, ie know where he physically lives, write up a contract/bill of sale stating that the purchase is in lou of receiving the clean and clear title etc. etc, go up to a local store and get a photocopy of his license on said contract and if at any point you feel that the guy is not genuine you walk away no matter how much he will lower the price. You will walk away with a nice bike at a nice price. If he is asking blue book, don't even bother if it's not a good deal to you don't waste your time and trust.

·
Registered
823 Posts
He has it through Honda finance, so i cant really walk up to the bank with him. Im gonna contact honda. I like the bike, has the mods id already do to it, low miles, scorpio i900 alarm, oem parts and so on

hes actually a member here

I think in this case you may be able to go to a Currency Exchange or a Western Union to make the payments and still get everything notarized as well. Good luck and keep us posted on how it went!:popcorn:

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Normally I would say have the money and go with the guy to the bank to pay it off, da da da. However, not all loans are through the bank and sometimes it isn't all an immediate transaction.

I actually went against my own advice and purchased my current bike when it was still owed on. The guy was very legitimate (he was actually a corrections officer) and after knowing where him and his family lived, having all his info, and even going so far as having a written document notarized that he would have the title to me asap. I paid him and took the bike home, he even let me keep his already registered license plate so I could ride it while we waited on the title. Of course I had a doubt in my mind he would just call it in stolen after I left -- but all went well. I drove the bike around for a good week with his plate, until he called me and said he had the title in hand. We met up again, swapped title for plate -- and I was on my way straight to the DMV :)

Again, I wouldn't normally do something like that but if you are a good judge of character it can definitely work out for you some times!
How long did you have to wait for the title to come home? I'm too a "victim" of this and I can't blame myself for being stupid but it's a lesson learned. I bought the bike exactly 2 weeks from tomorrow and still no word on the title. He's an CHP and I know where he lived too so I hope he doesn't pull any string. I was thinking if he doesn't have the title to me by this week, I might just call him up to return the bike to him and get my money back somehow.

So after you get the title, you have to return the plate? I guess Cali law is a bit different, I never had to give anyone the plate.

·
Ain't Even Excited
1,769 Posts
How long did you have to wait for the title to come home? I'm too a "victim" of this and I can't blame myself for being stupid but it's a lesson learned. I bought the bike exactly 2 weeks from tomorrow and still no word on the title. He's an CHP and I know where he lived too so I hope he doesn't pull any string. I was thinking if he doesn't have the title to me by this week, I might just call him up to return the bike to him and get my money back somehow.

So after you get the title, you have to return the plate? I guess Cali law is a bit different, I never had to give anyone the plate.
It took a week or two for him to get the title mailed to him from wherever the loan was held. It was nerve racking but I called him every other day I think lol.

And for the plate, it was HIS plate registered in his name and all. Since my bike is my only vehicle he let me use his plate to be able to ride while we waited. Kind of like a good faith collateral. Once he gave me the title I gave him his plate back and went to register for my own.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
You could determine what is left on the lean (say $3000)

if the seller wants say $6000 for the bike then you give him $3000 and take over the lean.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts