Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am 19yrs old and thinking of getting a 600RR with in the next few months. The only thing is that i have never ridden a motorcycle in my entire life other then a dirtbike. I am also taking a motorcycle course coming up in august where they teach you how to ride a motorcycle from no experience or knowledge. I also have a buddy of mine who is a mechanic on bikes and also a rider who is willing to teach me a few things. If anyone has any tips, advice or help on what i should do i would really appreciate it. Thank you for your time guys/ gals.

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
do what I did when I was in your position. I was also 19 when I thought about getting a new RR. instead, i learned the street basics on a shadow sabre that belonged to my uncle (huge cruiser for me - 5' 6", 142lbs) and I got my new 600RR in March (2nd) of this year. I just turned 22 two days ago and am enjoying my RR very much.

and yes, I dropped that cruiser multiple times. soooo happy I didnt get the RR then.

so find a beater or used or other bike before getting this thing. Everyone else will probably tell you the same thing, but I can at least tell you from experience and being that same spot.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
^^^ Congrats on the bike. I bet learning the right way made it all that much better when you moved up. A lot of people won't want to do it this way but it is the way it should be done. I started on a v-star and rode that for almost 4 years. I would say I could have moved on after a summer of a lot of riding.

Do what is recommended. Especially if it is your first bike. You wont regret it.

·
Macho Office Monkey
3,132 Posts
Start on a smaller bike (engine wise) the 600rr is not a beginners bike any means. Its a great bike fun to ride but if you buy it as your first bike you will drop it a time or two as well as its a lot of motor to handle as a beginner. Do yourself a favor and start on like a 250 ninja R. The 08's look nice as hell great learner bike, great resale value, and you could pick on up for under 4000 out the door brand new. Plus insurance is going to kill you at 19 with no riding expericance on a 600rr. That my .02 Good luck

·
Administrator
51,143 Posts
I agree with these lads man find yourself a used bike a kawi 250 CC or a 500 CC bike would be more then enough as a beginner bike you wont get in trouble with the law the bike ain't fast enough , the insurance wont rape you , the payments wont be raping your bank account either its an all around winning situation best of luck man

Welcome to the RR addiction riding an RR is not a must around here for you to be a member in this huge addictive family

·
Registered
709 Posts
I think a 19yr old buying an RR as a first bike ever is a very bad idea.

I rode my first summer on a little yamy virago that I borrowed from a friend most of the summer. never dropped it. then I rode an old school Harley for about 4-5yrs, never dropped it, then bought an F4i after riding for 5yrs and no problems. I dropped that damn F4i like 3 times in the first month!!!

·
Registered
223 Posts
My son's first bike was his current bike which is an '07 CBR600RR. He was 20 at the time when he got it. He's never had one issue learning on this bike, and the bike has never been down (knock on wood) and no tickets! I think it all depends on your maturity and if you take it easy starting out. My son was use to racing quad MX so he knew how to respect the power of a bike. So if you are mature and don't think you are Joe Rocket from the get go you will be fine with a 600RR.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Yes it depends on maturity of the rider... however it depends on the respect you have for the machine and the awareness you have the idiots around you.

the 600rr has lets say quite enough power. If you do have to get a 600rr then make sure you respect the bike and take the classes etc... before you buy.

or... listen to these guys and go get that 250r. That bike is actually quite nice. You can make them look even more tight! Check them out on the track... amazing what you can do on a 250r as well. That bike can last you a while!

so for the most part... I agree with everyone and okiedokie quite a bit... RESPECT the machine and know that you now have to be 10 times at least the driver you were because people in cars will not see you anymore!

·
Registered
857 Posts
if you take the course that should be a big help. if you dont take the wise advice from the above posts at least buy a busted up rr so you wont cry when your turn to drop it comes.

·
Registered
543 Posts
heres what i did tooks msf course got license, then bought ninja 250 rode for a year and then sold it the next for $300 more than what i payed for it.... bought a brand new 07 2 months ago and couldnt be happier....do the smart thing and start small. moved over to the 600 without much problems and ive still never been down because ive never rode over my head. still nowhere close to being a great rider just decent.....probably got tons more to learn and am planning for the track later this summer. your 19 and teens are probably not the brightest/most mature....nothing against you just putting it out there because i remember few years back ive done some stupid **** in cars and learned the hard way....gl with your decision

·
Registered
222 Posts
I was/am in the same boat as you

I worked my ass off for a long time and saved hard to buy a sportbike, something that I had dreamt of doing ever since I had first seen one from the backseat of my mothers car when I was just a toddler

Like you, the only motorcycle experience I had was an afternoon on a friends dirtbike back in elementary school AND, I wrecked it

Anyway, Im 18 now and was 18 when I bought my first bike, a 2006 CBR600RR, still have it and LOVE it! No words to describe it

In all honesty, I think you'll be just fine AS LONG AS:

A) You respect it. Do a little research. Learn the stats of the particular bike you plan to buy. Watch videos of the bike you plan to buy and see just how fast and dangerous these things really are. (Although videos dont do them justice. Watching videos wont teach you how touchy the brakes are, and how touchy the throttle is. Watching videos wont get you accustomed to the weight of the bike and how it reacts in different situations and conditions but watching videos is a very small start) These things are stupid fast, I cant believe they actually sell them to people, and Im only on a 600 (Although it is -1/+1) And BTW, dont let anybody tell you a 600 is slow, if someone does say so, a simple "stfu" should suffice : )

B) YOU WEAR GEAR!!! This is no joke

NOW, maybe, I have no room to talk. This is because, you guessed it, Wednesday, July 2nd, I wrecked my bike

I am the sole reason that I have a wrecked bike in my garage

I know exactly what happened and what caused it. I lost sight of what I had and got a big head. For a split second, I didnt respect what my machine was capable of, and I went down. NOW, I come back to my previous point: WEAR GEAR!!!!!!!

No matter how hot it may be, no matter how "uncomfortable" it may be, because trust me, your gear will never be as uncomfortable as road rash. ALWAYS WEAR GEAR! I am typing right now with road rash on my hands because I took my gloves off right before my crash. I was on my way home, my ride was over with, and I was (what I thought at the time) "taking it easy"

Me thinking that is how I KNOW, I lost respect for my bike's capabilities

Never think its safe to take off any piece of gear. My Dainese Zen jacket and My AGV Ti-Tech helmet saved my ass. I was irresponsible by not having at least my boots on on top of all that

When you get your bike: For me it was my neighborhood but for you, it could be any open, paved space. A parking lot, etc. (EMPTY parking lot)

Take your bike and learn where the clutch catches and engages. Learn how stiff the brake levers are and learn how much pressure is necessary to stop at a given speed. Once you learn these things, just ride your bike, wandering through the empty parking lot, learning and getting used to the weight of your bike. DEFINITELY take the classes though!

Im telling you, RESPECT YOUR MACHINE

Do this and KNOW-not think, but KNOW, that you are not invincible. Take it easy the first thousand miles or more. Dont try to impress any girls or friends - no, none of that. Just take it easy and take your time, and you should be just fine

I say, go for it, get the bike, but be smart about it

BTW; Sorry for the book I just wrote, lol

·
Registered
222 Posts
BTW, Soccer

feel free to PM me with any questions you might have about the whole experience

I figure since me and you are about the same age and we're kind of going through the same thing except you're just a step behind, I could probably relate to any questions you may have and should be able to answer any n00b questions you may have-lol

·
Registered
579 Posts
If you have dirt bike experience you will be fine. Its people who have never controlled a twist throttle who are in trouble. Remember.... they only go as fast as you make them. You will be fine.

·
Macho Office Monkey
3,132 Posts
:flamethroGet ready to be flamed for this comment!!! Dirt will help you with knowing how to shift and thats about it. WAY DIFFERENT ON THE STREET

If you have dirt bike experience you will be fine. Its people who have never controlled a twist throttle who are in trouble. Remember.... they only go as fast as you make them. You will be fine.

·
Registered
543 Posts
yea i really dont think it matters if you have dirt experience or not i never did and havent had any problems, its all about the head on top of the rider. it could be easier to adjust but you should never think im gonna be fine ive rode on dirt before....the street is a bit different

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
:headscrat :flamethro:flamethro:flamethro:flamethro:flamethro lol

kinda like saying, "just got my driver's license, i think I want a Supra because I learned on a 3 cyl. Geo Storm so I should be good"

only a handful of people luck out enough that they don't have a drop or an accident when they start out like that. I def didnt wanna fu*k up a new 10 or $12,000 bike so I didnt take those chances and did it the right way.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yeah all these guys are right! You need to get something smaller.. I have been riding dirt bikes for 15 years and always wanted to move to the street to a CBR.
But for one you need the experience and you need to be mature enough to ride it.
If you don't respect the bike, it will hurt you or worse.....
Good luck buddy....

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
I would look into getting an older 600, perhaps a CBR600F3 or something. They are very forgiving bikes to learn on, I started on an F3 with zero previous experience and it was great. Then a year later I got an RR and really appreciated it.

Plus you can find those type of bikes in decent condition for very very cheap.

·
Registered
154 Posts
i would get like a 250 ninja at first so if u drop it its no big deal get a cheap one then get a 600 i have only ridin one bike my whole life i got an o8 600rr i was fine but i dont recamend it i just pick things up exremly fast

·
Registered
12 Posts
i've road dirt bikes, 3-4 wheelers, gsxr1000r and now have a 06rr and put on 1300
miles and still am learing as I go what this thing will do and I'm surprised by the power

1 - 20 of 20 Posts