Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guys im new here looking for advice, the deal is im in the process of looking for and saving up for a 05+ 600rr and Im still around a grand short on money. So heres my question my brothers budy will sell me a 2001 suzuki tl1000r with 5k miles for $1500 hasnt been started in 4yrs, im thinking of buying it getting it started and trying to flip it for $3000. does anyone know if this bike is worth that or any advice period. hoping this will give me the extra grand i need to buy a 600rr:cruising:

·
Registered
195 Posts
I think that's an awesome deal for the suzuki. In Australia they really hold their value same bike with those miles would go for 8k here. I'd keep the TL and spend the extra cash on pipes/gear//

·
BOTM Winner 07/12
1,714 Posts
I think this depends on the condition of the TLR. It seems they go for more than $3000 in good condition to the right person. On the other hand Yamasaurus had a built TLR on the Wera forum that he couldnt give away.

I've always kinda wanted one becasue I liked how they looked back in the day but my mechanic talked me out of it. He said they blew up alot.

Before you give him any money I'd make sure its going to run without alot of money being spent. It wont take alot on a bike like that to eat all your profit.

·
Registered
123 Posts
One of my friends commutes on a TL and has over 100k miles on it without problems. He is good about maintenance though.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Id say do it. I always liked those bikes. But with it not having been started in 4 years...its gonna take some patience. May have to really clean out the fuel system...

I dont know where you are, but i'd say one with that low of miles, if you get it running smooth, and its a rpetty clean/straight body...you should be able to 3.5k ish for it, depending on where you are. I know that down in FL they go for a premium. Its hard to find one that hasnt been dipped in chrome, stretched and beat the hell out of.

·
Registered
273 Posts
It's a fantastic deal, but it lives in a niche market so flipping it might prove a bit difficult. You should have no problem turning a profit, just find the right buyer. If you were to keep it and ride it yourself, then it's a no brainer, but I have a feeling you might be holding on to it longer than you like.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Upon further evaluation, I have changed my opinion.

If you are only a 1000 dollars away, and would be dipping into your bike fund in order to purchase and repair this bike, then I think you would just be adding time onto the clock until you can purchase your bike.

Like he said above me ^ if you were to want it for yourself, hell yeah. But I think it will prove to be a pain, and another hurdle between you and the bike you actually want.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yea ended up looking at the bike, very clean and looked great, but one small problem, no title. so im obviously not buying it , story is he bought it new and never paid it off so ill just keep saving for the rr, thanks for the advice and the part that did scare me the most was holding on to it longer than i wanted and not being able to sell it, but no worries now lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts