Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sup guys, I'm sure this topic has been covered at some point but I want my own thread and don't feel like necro'ing the archives.

So I've started giving some serious thought to picking up a dedicated track bike. I don't have the funds yet but I'm window shopping. I'd appreciate any advice you track whores have to offer :)crackup: maybe calling you whores isn't the best way to get advice).

For TL;DR skip to bottom

Initially I wanted to pick up a modern 600 because it's what I'm accustomed to both on the street and my very limited track experience. This would also be the justification I need to replace my RR with a more comfortable machine for commuting/touring. But I'll try not to digress here.

I started looking at used track bikes. All the ads that matched my criteria were out of my budget (basically not a whole lot cheaper than buying their street legal counterparts). I could look at much older bikes to save some money but don't want to deal with the potential problems of an older bike.

So... I started considering smaller bikes instead. At first, I thought it might not be as satisfying. After all, part of the reason I want to hit the track is to feel the rush. But the more I think about it the more I feel it's the right way to go. Here's my rationale...

a) Being a track day noob, a smaller bike will be more conducive to learning proper technique

b) A smaller bike will allow me to progressively explore the [my] limits of speed/traction in the corners without overwhelming myself

c) It's cheap. The bike is cheap. Parts are cheap. Tires are cheap. Gas is cheap. Cheap, cheap, cheap :cruising:

TL;DR begins here

If a fantastic deal on a 600 track bike falls in my lap I will probably jump on it. Otherwise, I'm currently leaning toward a 250 or similar displacement.

Questions that come to mind now are:

- Tires. Is it wise to size up from the skinnies to something somewhat less skinny? Or will the OE dimensions give me plenty of room to lean into?

- Brakes. Immediate upgrade recommended or stockers ok for now?

That's all. I really just felt like chatting about it because I'm bored at work. Would love to hear your experiences if you track a smaller machine!

·
Maynard
7,084 Posts
Wanted to say this, I like your plan. If my funds come along with my limited budget, I'd love to have a 250 and use it at the track and/or around town. Also about being a better rider, my friend raced 600s a couple of seasons. His best finish was a top 10. However even he himself told me, "If I jumped on a 250 and raced on a 250 for one season I'd become faster."

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks John. For now I'll most likely take my street bike until I can afford to buy a track machine. Either way, can't wait to get back out there!

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
I'd suggest to take your street bike and get a glimpse of how comfortable you are on the track. Learning a new bike and new techniques while progressing can be a little overwhelming.
As far as upgrading the brakes/ tires go, that will depend on your experience and how far you'd like to push it. Unless it's a 2 stroke, you also need consider the fact that you'd most likely grow bored of the 250 in no time. I don't know, it's past my bedtime.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's my main concern, that I'll quickly grow bored of the 250. I'm not too worried about learning a new bike, I'll take my time to adjust. I figure if a 250 is what I can afford I'll track it for a while and then move back up to a 600 once I save a bit more. I dunno... we'll see how this season goes with the RR as I can't really afford to buy a second bike right now anyway. Thanks for your input man

·
Premium Member
2,991 Posts
I'm not a track whore but I am in the same boat, what I decided is basically how I got to my 600: start small and don't make any permanent changes so when I decide I want more I can use it for commuting and track my 600 or something else.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Maynard
7,084 Posts
If you don't spend or dump too much into the 250 then it shouldn't be too hard to sell for not that much of a loss, if that.

·
BOTM Winner 04/14
819 Posts

Just saw this the other day and to be honest, looks like a low maintenance track project. Fun as well on a small technical track. Not a 250, just saying :cruising:

·
Registered
541 Posts
If ur fast or find a 250 grid you wont get bored with the 250. For the most part its pretty close racing. Right now you can get a salvage titled kawi for 1500 throw a set of springs and emulators in the forks a gsxr shock race body work and clipons and boom there u go. I had 3k total and had a full prepped 250 full exhaust tuned clipons rearsets bodywork suspension and race rubber.

·
Registered
903 Posts
If you think you'll be bored with a 250 on track see if you can do this then get back to us here.

A production 250 track prepped is a great cheap way to rack up track time & race. I was thinking of a dedicated track bike too. I like the idea of getting an older track prepped 600RR so my street and track bike are of the same type but I would probably have more fun and learn more riding a slower bike faster. One that I wouldn't cry about it taking a tumble now and then.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
I've seen that video many times, let's be honest here, do you really think that's an average 250? I bet there's a lot of money in that bike. You will cry about it, it doesn't matter what bike you crash.

·
Super Moderator
6,497 Posts
I picked up an old 1988 Hawk GT650 to race this year. Specifically to work on my corner speed. With small bikes you'll have to stay on the throttle longer, brake less and you are FORCED to learn how to go just as fast as 100hp bike without relying on power. There are a few advantages of having a smaller bike as well: Weight, tire life, cheap replacement parts and a huge grin on your face every time you pass a big bike on the outside.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Not sure which tracks I plan to go to yet. Mosport is high on my list to check out. Calabogie looks nice but it's pretty far.

·
Premium Member
2,991 Posts
I've seen that video many times, let's be honest here, do you really think that's an average 250? I bet there's a lot of money in that bike. You will cry about it, it doesn't matter what bike you crash.
that 250 has the important mod of all though...rider mod.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Don't track something you are not willing to watch tumble down the track. Forgot which friend told me that or maybe its because a few of them have haha...

I have been looking into picking up a 125 2 stroke if I can find the right deal or just a used 250 4 stroke to really focus on fundamentals. Picking up a new bike(probably a multistrada) for street and travel duties so that leaves me time to really fix up my 600rr for track eventually.

I guess my question to you guys is which 250 would you reccomend picking up? What are some important mods? Me and my buddies race little pit bikes and those things are almost too much fun so I think competitive 250 riding would be fun.

·
Premium Member
2,991 Posts
Don't track something you are not willing to watch tumble down the track. Forgot which friend told me that or maybe its because a few of them have haha...

I have been looking into picking up a 125 2 stroke if I can find the right deal or just a used 250 4 stroke to really focus on fundamentals. Picking up a new bike(probably a multistrada) for street and travel duties so that leaves me time to really fix up my 600rr for track eventually.

I guess my question to you guys is which 250 would you reccomend picking up? What are some important mods? Me and my buddies race little pit bikes and those things are almost too much fun so I think competitive 250 riding would be fun.
Only 2 250's come to mind, the ninja and the CBR. Ninja has dual front disc brakes, a little more power, and a higher top speed. CBR has fuel injection though...personally I'm thinking of going with a ninja 250 only I want a steering damper and when I had my cbr250r there were no mods available at the time and a tank slapper at 89 (top speed) scared the crap outta me.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
541 Posts
The ninjettes have single front disks. If ur gonna do anything seriously suggest fork springs and a shock and a set of pirellis and ur good to go.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts