Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

After an extended absence...which option would you lust after?

• RC51 SP1/2

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Aprilia RSV1000R Factory

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Ducati 848

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Gsxr750 K5/6

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • 03-09 CBR1000RR or R1

Votes: 4 28.6%

• Total voters
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #21
Just figured I'd post a quick update. Passed my Belgian Moto license exams and took my first test ride today. Mint 05 Ducati 999 with full Termi exhaust and ECU. I can't sleep or stop thinking about it.....and am seeing a RC51 Sunday morning. That Duc was so skinny and sexy, unlike anything I've ever ridden. I think I'm hooked on the vtwin and anything other than a dream bike seems an unlikely choice 馃榿

BOTY 2014 Winner
Who needs power to enjoy the ride.

If you want to enter **** swinging contests at Starbucks then maybe. But horsepower isn't the be all end all when it comes to what makes a great bike.

Most of these new bikes don't spool up until you're breaking every speed law in the country anyway. It's a waste

Registered
Who needs power to enjoy the ride.

If you want to enter **** swinging contests at Starbucks then maybe. But horsepower isn't the be all end all when it comes to what makes a great bike.

Most of these new bikes don't spool up until you're breaking every speed law in the country anyway. It's a waste

Lol... pretty contradicting statement, don't you think?

BOTY 2014 Winner
Not really. I build my bikes for me. When i go to meets everyone ignores mine and worships the bmws

That's totally fine

Registered
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
@robert6118

The Duc is a headache. Buy a 51 and never look back.

Here's what they look like after you remortgage your house and spend it on shiny stuff

https://www.flickr.com/gp/[email protected]/f69Kr7
Wow, truly one of the nicest builds I've ever seen. Is there anything prettier than a hint,mount exhaust? Two of them side by side? Reminds me of my ho mount full Hindle system on my 900rr.

Sadly that paint scheme is 2k out of budget. Here is the 51 which I'm going to see....

http://m.autoscout24.be/offre/honda-vtr-1000-essence-blanc-307694299

And the Duc I rode

http://m.autoscout24.be/offre/ducati-999-ducati-performance-essence-rouge-310609103

Registered
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
Cool bike but it's ancient.

OP, go for something newer, better tech and more power.
I like the diversity of opinions...I had a very experienced track guy recommend me a k5 1000 despite me specifically saying my main goal was dream bike lust, controllable street power, and MAYBE the track if I found out I couldn't behave. I think his rec was driven by the relative rarity of parts for both the Duc and 51 but still.....

Maybe I'm just a bit thick (or poor) but I've never had the latest and greatest, and have always been attracted to what most people consider quirky race bikes (900rr, SRAD 750s).

I still get a laugh out of the 'more power' and 'more tech' arguments. I never got out of 1st gear on the test ride except to row the gears. The power I want (and what I think counts) is the power at 4k RPM in 1st and 2nd. Is there ANYTHING better than a liter vtwin for that purpose? Maybe starting on a 250, and building out my own 900rr to do battle with everyone on the latest gsxr1000 makes me a bit contrarian 馃榿.

I found this in Germany as well and will most likely test it just to get a feel. A bit worried though if I like it as I remember when it came out it was referred to as a Widowmaker in my circle of riders. I still think it's a ridiculous idea for the street.....

http://m.autoscout24.be/offre/kawasaki-essence-noir-310432628

In the end it's that intangible factor you get when you sit on a bike for the first time. The Duc definitely had it (and the styling was much much better in person). Now curious how the Honda stacks up.

Registered
Cool bike but it's ancient.

OP, go for something newer, better tech and more power.
I chased the most power, latest tech, most bling, spend everything you have for the latest and greatest wiz bang bike for years and in the end the ride wasn't worth the hassle or any more fun.

Went back to a middleweight 5 or 6 years ago and never looked back. Now I have two newer, but older tech street bikes that I love riding, am going on three seasons with and don't see them going away any time soon.

Much happier, have more money in the bank and haven't gotten a single ticket in years.

To each their own; the RC51 is an incredible street mount. OP, the Duc you were looking at, just saying while nice they are not what they are cracked up to be.

BOTY 2014 Winner
if i were you i'd look for an rc51 that has the bodywork in original condition. i'd also be more inclined to look at the sp2 (2002 and up) vs an sp1 as you posted.

Registered
Discussion Starter #32
if i were you i'd look for an rc51 that has the bodywork in original condition. i'd also be more inclined to look at the sp2 (2002 and up) vs an sp1 as you posted.
It's an 02 so I presume a SP2....in Europe they have a tendency to not make fine let alone gross distinctions in model names. Is there an easy visual way to identify the two?

Just got back from the Kawi. The good: I keep thinking sportbikes can't get better but Jesus. Great sound & power, slim for a liter bike (lighter than the Duc??) but still comfortable. The bike is also a steal at 4k Eur and 10k KMS with a new motor at 6k with papers (the model had issues with generators exploding and totalling the motor, two months out of warranty).

The bad: the guy has let it sit for 5 years with just the occasional start. Fork seals are leaking a bit, shifter seal is leaking a bit (both common issues) and it has minor tip over damage.

Would you be worried about oil sludge build up just from sitting with relatively fresh oil? I presume everything else requires freshening as well: seals, coolant, brake fluid, brake hoses, engine oil.

Engine jump started just fine and the bike ran great...very impressive, impressive enough that for the price I might forget waiting longer to find a clean twin (and in the end follow the poll results after all).

BOTY 2014 Winner
i'd be a bit skeptical about that rc51 if it is actually an 02.

it has an sp1 swingarm, sp1 forks, and non-rc51 wheels (sp1 has 6 spokes, sp2 has 5 spokes).

something's not right about that. while it's common to see sp1s with sp2 swingarms (it's considered an upgrade), you'll never find an sp2 with an sp1 swingarm unless it was rebuilt and the rebuilder didn't want to shell out the cash for the right arm.

Registered
Discussion Starter #36
i said i'd be skeptical of the rc51.

personally the 04-05 zx10 does nothing for me.
And is known for having issues with frame cracks appearing. Definitely not a Honda....will have to do a more thorough, fairings off inspection before handing over any cash :(.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts