Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, here's the deal. I took the stock exhaust off the other day, because my new exhaust was on its way. Well when I had it off I started the bike up to see what it sounded like with no exhaust. I let it idle for only about 30 seconds, and shut it back off. Now after putting on the new exhaust (slip on), it won't start! Would this have something to do with starting it with no exhaust (muffler)?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry, here's more info. I haven't looked into it a whole lot yet, but all lights and everything work, fuel pump primes, battery is at 12.78. It turns and turns but won't fire. Same thing happened back in the spring and it was a clogged fuel line.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Is it in gear? Just changing the muffler wouldn't do anything with respect to starting it.

·
Banned
544 Posts
Try holding the throttle full open while cranking it- I believe that has worked for a lot of people- it takes a bit, but it works- or you can check the fuel lines, but unless you did some other work to it while replacing the exhaust, can't see it being the problem.

·
Why isn't this an option? Why man, why?
2,641 Posts
+1 just check the minor things first...it shouldn't matter. i did the same thing but mine didn't do that after the install.

·
Registered
604 Posts
hitman83 said:
+1 just check the minor things first...it shouldn't matter. i did the same thing but mine didn't do that after the install.
ya check all the minor things. also check to see if the engine kill switch was switched to the off position. that happened to me after work the other day someone must of been messing with my bike. it wouldn't start and i couldn't figure out why? after five minutes i look at the engine kill switch and start laughing at why it took me so long to check that.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
this bike is so sensitive u park it the wrong way and next thing u know it wont start pms'ing 600rrs lol

open throttle should work for u

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I tried holding the starter down with WOT, nothing happened. This ended up draining the battery after a while, so the battery is now charging. I don't have time tonight, but hopefully tomorrow after work I can take a look at the fuel line.

I'm thinking the problem was in starting it and only letting it run for 30 seconds. I remember reading something about how this could cause problems if you don't let it warm up all the way. That may have been what I did the last time it started before the problems back in the spring when it ended up being a clogged fuel line. Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update: tried again with WOT, one time it finally started for a second, shot out a bunch of white smoke, and then when I closed the throttle it shut back off. Sound like another clogged fuel line?

Battery is spent once again, so it's back on the charger and I'll try again tomorrow.

Also, anyone know if it's ok to try and start the bike with the battery still hooked up to the charger (Battery Tender)?

·
Registered
253 Posts
ok so you started it up with NO EXHAUST on it? you prolly foul'd some plugs with no back pressure that valve over lap was alittle to much.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
The plugs are a possibility.....especially since the bike didn't fully warm up when you started it without the midpipe and can. I would try the WOT thing again. Over the winter I had a similar problem and I held the throttle open while starting and it took after a few tries.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just the muffler was off, at the clamp right below the right foot peg. I didn't take the headers off too. Well first thing this morning after taking it off the charger, it started right up. First time I revved it, it went out. Took a couple tries to get it going again, and I kept revving it until the white smoke stopped coming out of the exhaust. Just got back from work and she started fine. Do you think I should run some FI cleaner through it to clean that crap out of there? I actually noticed a puff of white smoke coming out of the exhaust one day while riding after I ran the RPM way up in first, then backed off. That day I tried again to do that, but it didn't smoke anymore. I'm thinking something might be gunked up in there still.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
take it out and open it up. . . . same thing happened to me when i went to boot camp and then came back. . . . it took forever to start. . . . just take it out and open her up a few times.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.